Harry Potter Film Producer David Heyman Talks Splitting on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Heyman
June 18, 2009, 11:48 AM

Film Journal has released a new profile of Harry Potter film producer David Heyman. In the article, David Heyman speaks about the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, noting that since production is well underway on the final two Harry Potter films, its difficult to go back and focus on movie six which will be released in a few weeks. Speaking from the set of a recent location shoot for Deathly Hallows involving camping for Harry and Hermione, Mr. Heyman says:
“It’s really funny talking about Six because we’ve moved on—we’re deep into Seven now.”Right now, at this point in time—shooting a scene between Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) on a sunny location in Burnham Beeches where the two have temporarily pitched their tent in their road travels—the 48-year-old producer is steady and holding at seven-point-five. He continues:“My head is so much into Seven, and then, all of a sudden, you have to come back to Six,” he vamps by way of an explanation. “What I love about the Potter films is that each is different from the one that precedes it. In fact, I think they’re all quite different. They focus on different stories, and you have new characters who come in and bring them to life.”

David Heyman says of HBP: "This one is much looser. We take the time to explore the characters. Of course, there are big action scenes, big set-pieces, but what I think people really love in Harry Potter films are the characters—Ron, Harry, Hermione—spending time with them. That’s where the real pleasure is, I think."

He also goes on to discuss the decision to split Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, again refusing to say where the splitting of the two films will take place. Quotage: It helps, of course, that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is coming at him now as two films, doubling his pleasure all over the place, but finding the precise line of demarcation “was something we wrestled with. I’m not going to reveal where it is just yet, but there are a couple of places. I initially was not in favor of doing two films.

“In the seventh book, Harry is at the center of so much of it that, when we looked at what we would cut, it was impossible. There was almost nothing that we could comfortably cut, so it became a very clear decision that we had to make two films. “Once we made that decision, the challenge is to find out where you cut it. I think we’ve made a really interesting choice. It’s acknowledging that actually this is one book, and there are two parts to the story, and I think it will be really exciting. “Actually, there’s almost enough material in here to make three films, but I think that would have probably tipped it over the edge. The book is a very rich canvas.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman News

Raven_avatar_thumb

3 sounds good to me….

Posted by Won_Two on June 18, 2009, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Photo_on_2010-07-24_at_19

I wonder if I’m the only one but, his comment at the end, “Actually, there’s almost enough material in here to make three films, but I think that would have probably tipped it over the edge.” makes me worried. Does this mean that, since they decided on only two movies, there was a significant amount of material cut? Is there any evidence out there that disproves that theory?

Posted by manicburns on June 18, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

3 films??!! haha!! i once made myself cry thinking about the end of HP. true story. and i like NEVER cry!!

Littleburrow_thumb

Well that was what Lord of the Rings was: three parts to one book.

They are going to cut stuff from Deathly Hallows. I know that we all wish them to include as much as possible, but five hours isn’t enough to get everything. Things are going to be cut. Prepare yourselves.

Posted by decarus on June 18, 2009, 02:21 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

NO! Go ahead! Three films is fine with me and more than half of these people on Leaky!!

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on June 18, 2009, 02:32 PM report to moderator
Rainingmen_thumb

I’m re-reading the book (again) and once again feel it NEEDS to be cut right after Ron’s return and the Silver Doe! It just makes sense!!! I mean, yeah, I kind of like the idea of ending it with Xeno saying, “Are you referring to the sign of the Deathly Hallows?” But that just seems to anti-climatic to me. I think Dobby’s death is too far into the story – I mean, what would they leave for the second film to be substantial??? JUST TELL US ALREADY! :)

Posted by BwaySaint on June 18, 2009, 02:37 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

perhaps the split is flying away on the old dragon escaping from Gringotts….leave us really hanging in air….so to speak

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on June 18, 2009, 02:41 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_stills_0001_thumb

3movies!!! the more the merrier! but im just waiting for HBP to come!

Posted by HPandtheDA007 on June 18, 2009, 02:55 PM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

Wouldn’t it be something, after the last Potter movie, if they all kept making movies together?

Posted by ScottMan on June 18, 2009, 03:48 PM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

woo,3 films would be totally awesome :)

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on June 18, 2009, 04:20 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

Three films would make me perfectly happy [: Anything to make it last!

I wanna know where the split is. As soon as they tell us though we will lose a big discussion.

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on June 18, 2009, 04:23 PM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

hey i could go for a dozen films if they could manage it but i probably would be the only one in the theater :P

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on June 18, 2009, 05:39 PM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

Yeah, I could have gone with an epic like Gone with the wind… but 2 is pretty great. Now that I said that, I’ll have visions of Ron telling Hermione, “Frankly my dear…” as he bolts out of the tent.
I’m just really happy HBP is finally getting here. My friends are starting to roll their eyes when I say anything about Harry potter.

Posted by Hydrus on June 18, 2009, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

Three films…….Yeah……….

Posted by budgie on June 18, 2009, 06:46 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I don’t know how they’ll manage it, but it will be fun to see anyway.

Posted by Garden State Geek on June 18, 2009, 09:40 PM report to moderator

"Dobby remembers how it was when He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was at the height of his powers, sir! We house-elfs were treated like vermin, sir! Of course, Dobby is still treated like that, sir," he admitted, drying his face on the pillowcase.