BeWitching the Dead in Half-Blood Prince: LA Times Talks Creating the Inferi

HBP Film
June 18, 2009, 03:01 PM

The LA Times Hero Complex blog has been updated today with a new article on bewitching the dead or creating the Inferi for the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince film. In a new interview with Tim Alexander, special effects mastermind from ILM, we learn that it took "several months to complete the approximately seven-minute scene, from rendering millions of Inferi to whipping up Dumbledore's flame tornado.(best for combating meddling dead folks.)" Noting that he believes the scene will scare little children, we learn more about the process used to create these horrible creatures used to do Voldemorts bidding in the cave scene. Please note the article has a slight spoiler regarding Harry during the scene.

Tell me about how the Inferi look. How did the design come about?
The art department on the film gave us a lot of references, like Dante’s "Inferno," where they have all those bodies. The Inferi themselves are very skinny and emaciated people. Very humanoid, but way skinnier than humans could be. Waterlogged and gray. We used the old lady that comes out of the tub in ‘The Shining’ as a reference. Most of the Inferi are adult, but we did also build two children, too.
....

That sounds … disturbing. Certainly, more so than the previous “Potter” films.
It’s certainly much bolder and scarier than we imagined that they’d ever go in a "Potter" movie. Director David Yates was really cautious of not making this into a zombie movie, so we were constantly trying to figure out how not to make these dead people coming up look like zombies. A lot of it came down to their movement – they don’t move fast, but they don’t move really slow or groan and moan. We ended up going with a very realistic style. They move like anyone coming up out of water.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Pluto_thumb

waaaww!!

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on June 19, 2009, 03:22 AM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I love this this is going to be really creepy because if we all recall it was in the book… JK made it very realistic and I really hope it turns out good!!

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on June 19, 2009, 03:31 AM report to moderator
Hp___dh_40_thumb

this movie is totally going to give me nightmares…. i can’t wait!!!! : )

Posted by iheartpink(ROAR) on June 19, 2009, 03:37 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

I would have thought that this was going over the top. I can’t see Voldemort being responsible for millions of deaths, hundreds would seem more reasonable. He was obviously having a paranoid moment.

Posted by Graymayne on June 19, 2009, 03:59 AM report to moderator
Dailyprophet_thumb

I thought they lookes like millions of Gollums in the trailer but I want to see more :)

Posted by Ravonja [WBM♥] on June 19, 2009, 04:21 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Oh, the lady from The Shining always makes me scared. *eek! But the Inferi look great in the trailers – I can’t wait to see them!

Posted by Christine on June 19, 2009, 04:27 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

woa.thats just creepy. they look ok,but I was thinking more human-like.and not Smeagol-like.

Posted by Matea on June 19, 2009, 04:30 AM report to moderator

I thought that because of this scene among others, the film would be rated PG-13. I still wonder why it’s rated PG.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on June 19, 2009, 04:36 AM report to moderator
26097981_thumb

The description certainly sounds awesome. Let’s hope the actual scene in the movie lives up to our expectations.

Posted by jenge {Meredith Mooncloud} ~ [ITC!] on June 19, 2009, 04:46 AM report to moderator

SPOILER
well, it’s true about the millions, dare I say it BILLIONS of inferi in the lake. If you watch one of the trailers, I’m refering to the one with the scary music (I think it’s called TRL_2 or something like that, it is 1.55 minutes long) you can see at 0.30 that the entire bottom is filled with them.

Posted by Sorcererke on June 19, 2009, 05:16 AM report to moderator
Dragon-small_thumb

I thought I’d already crossed the creepy threshold today, but this took me right back over. Just thinking about what it’s going to look like… shudder And yet I can’t wait!

Posted by Wolfheart (WBM!) on June 19, 2009, 05:16 AM report to moderator

It may be PG in the US, but its 12A (PG13) over here :)
I haven’t read t he article (as I don’t want to know all about the entire film before its even out), but I REALLY hope these Inferi aren’t entirely CGI. I’ve never found Harry Potter’s CGI very convincing. CGI creatures just don’t scare me somehow. CG effects always look really blurry and cartoon-ish on the big screen.
They must have been able to do something with practical effects and make-up? At least have really people, but CG-enhanced perhaps? But entirely CG just looks rubbery and stupid. Like Grawp did in OOTP.

Posted by pipkin3 on June 19, 2009, 05:27 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

Goosebumps time!

CGI can look very realistic. Have another look at the buffalo herds in Dances With Wolves.

Posted by budgie on June 19, 2009, 06:41 AM report to moderator
Order_of_the_phoenix__3__thumb

i can’t wait to see them come alive in the movie!

Posted by kingdom on June 19, 2009, 09:00 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Sounds good!

Posted by Won_Two on June 19, 2009, 09:08 AM report to moderator

"I've warned you, [i]Snivellus[/i]," said Sirius, his face barely a foot from Snape's, "I don't care if Dumbledore thinks you've reformed, I know better --"[br]"Oh, but why don't you tell him so?" whispered Snape. "Or are you afraid he might not take the