Irish Central Feature: Evanna Lynch Talks Luna Lovegood in Half-Blood Prince and More

Lynch Interviews
June 11, 2009, 10:11 AM

Irish Central has now posted a new interview with actress Evanna Lynch who discusses her role as Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter series. Evanna speaks at length on the eccentric Ravenclaw student, noting her role in the events of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

“Luna doesn’t change but her position changes in this new film. Most people are aware of her reputation for being crazy. She’s certainly picked on by the other students,” Lynch says.“As in any school people are reluctant to be close to that kind of person. Or to be seen to be close to her. But Harry is a lot more comfortable with himself in this film. He’s not as conscious of what people think of him or he just doesn’t care now.“He accepts Luna and he calls her a friend and she’s thrilled. She helps Harry to see sense when he gets caught up in his struggles. She reminds him who he is.”

She continues: “Luna seems small and young and not noted for being brave, and yet she is. She’s really calm though, she doesn’t get surprised by anything, and she accepts people’s differences,” Lynch says. “In fact J.K. Rowling told me as a character she’s the most adjusted to the idea of death in the whole series. That cuts out a lot of fear for her. She tries to impress it on Harry. She’ll take it as it comes.”

Evanna also gives her thoughts on her character and shipping, and yes it involves... Dumbledore. Quote: “Maybe I shouldn’t say this, because it might get me in trouble. But there’s this big thing among people who are fans of the books. It’s a thing they do as fans called ‘shipping,’ which is short for relationship.

“The fans create ideal pair ups based on the books. There are some really crazy ones. I don’t know if I should say. But some people think Luna and Professor Dumbledore would make a great pair in another universe. I mean obviously he’s far too old for her, but their personalities completely match. They’re calm and accepting and quirky and I think they’re both really creative. I’d say they’d be fun together.”

This lovely funny actress goes on to speak of her enjoyment of the theater and determination to carry on with acting post Potter, saying while she loves Ireland she is thinking of moving to London to pursue her career.

“I’m completely fascinated by the theater. I love going to the West End to see the shows. It’s acting without all the hype attached to it. Actors are given more fee reign, you know?” she says. “I just love watching one person on a stage holding the whole audience captivated. Whereas in film you’re very protected, you can mess up, you have that freedom and you can always ask to do it again.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lynch Interviews News

Image000_3__thumb

oh wow, Dumbledore and Luna! :O i never thought of it. if only Dumbledore werent gay and maybe 70 years older than her. but i can imagine them being best friends! i think Evanna Lynch is pretty cool. i would love to meet her one day :D

Posted by makandcheese on June 12, 2009, 04:08 AM report to moderator
Jneville_thumb

i love this girl… if there’s somebody nicer than Luna she’s Evanna!

Posted by thallo on June 12, 2009, 04:29 AM report to moderator

Evanna
You are by far my favorite actress
EVER
make some showings in the US!!!!!!!

Posted by Gb1123 on June 12, 2009, 07:17 AM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

yeah, if dumbledire wasn’t gay, and they were the same age, TOTALLY! i can;t believe i’ve never seen it before, but please, don’t start writing strange fanfics.

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on June 12, 2009, 08:41 AM report to moderator

i freaking love her.

Posted by john-robert. on June 12, 2009, 09:02 AM report to moderator
Dscn1798-pippi-x_thumb

I think Evanna is one of the HP kids that could be a break-out star. I wish her well…

Posted by JRae on June 12, 2009, 11:46 AM report to moderator
Avatarhghbp_thumb

Interesting: Tom Felton, Bonnie Wright, James and Oliver Phelps make some interesting and quotable comments about their characters and their upcoming roles in Deathly Hallows earlier in the week and most of this coverage apart from one little snippet (and there was a longer, more detailed video that others posted) and a few links to photos, is ignored by Leaky, despite Tom and Bonnie’s very prominent roles in HBP.

Anytime Evanna opens her mouth Leaky is all over it and acts like the great Oracle has spoken.

I like Evanna very much, but I have sensed for a long time a certain bias on this site that disappoints me, especially as there are other actors who have interesting things to say about their characters, the films and the books. They’ve read all the books, they do their best to be faithful to their characters (Matt Lewis springs immediately to mind as one example) and yet because they have been in the films from the start and not some rabid fan plucked from obscurity five films in, their opinions aren’t treated with the same “reverence” here.

How about a bit of focus on a couple of actors who have been with the series since day dot and are finally getting their moment in the sun. Other sites seem to be doing a better job of that these days, and it pains me to be critical like this as a long time fan of Leaky.

Posted by mouse68 on June 12, 2009, 12:03 PM report to moderator
Thumb_thumb

I am very much looking forward to Evanna’s performance in the next movie – she is the perfect Luna! It is interesting that Evanna has chosen to ignore Jo’s assertion that Dumbledore is gay. It probably means she is not too happy with Jo marrying off Luna to Rolf, either!

Posted by Rosemunde on June 12, 2009, 12:12 PM report to moderator

Great interview! She truly does understand Luna’s character. It’s great that she’s such a big fan of the books. I love hearing what the actors have to say about their characters. Very interesting.

Posted by badger666 on June 12, 2009, 01:40 PM report to moderator
Img_7118_thumb

Since she’s such a fan of the books, I wonder what it would be like to see her in another production (where she wasn’t already a fan). I’d go see her because she is great.
As for the Dumbledore/Luna, I’m not sure how I feel about that. There are a lot of issues I see with it (especially being a teacher).

Posted by gooseywizard on June 12, 2009, 03:19 PM report to moderator

Yes, it would be nice to see other info on not just Evanna. Bonnie and Tom and the twins had alot to say about HBP but Leaky why didn’t you post it? Are you Evanna/Luna biased?

Posted by Bonniefan12 on June 12, 2009, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Omt1_thumb

A great interview! Evanna has a wonderful insight into the characters’ personalities. The perfect Luna indeed.
OMT

Posted by OldMrToad on June 12, 2009, 09:51 PM report to moderator
Avatar2_thumb

she is soo funny ! she really gets luna more than any1 else could have! dumbledore and luna? i dunno it would be funny but kinda freaky too ! i love evanna she is defo one of my fav actresses!

Posted by weasleygirl101(ROAR) on June 13, 2009, 12:15 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

Evanna really gets Luna. I think that’s what I love about her. i love luna so it’s that much better…

DD and Luna are alike…but somehow i don’t think he’d be interested.

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on June 13, 2009, 07:57 AM report to moderator

Good interview but i think Luna and Dumbledore would only be like an uncle fred kind of person as he would want to keep Luna from getting hurt. Remember we all have a little Luna inside.

Posted by HGROSS44 on June 13, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator

Something very cold trickled down the back of Harry's neck; for a moment he thought someone was putting a Disillusionment Charm on him again, then realized that Mrs. Weasley was attacking his hair with a wet comb. She pressed hard on the top of his head.