Irish Central Feature: Evanna Lynch Talks Luna Lovegood in Half-Blood Prince and More

Lynch Interviews
June 11, 2009, 10:11 AM

Irish Central has now posted a new interview with actress Evanna Lynch who discusses her role as Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter series. Evanna speaks at length on the eccentric Ravenclaw student, noting her role in the events of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

“Luna doesn’t change but her position changes in this new film. Most people are aware of her reputation for being crazy. She’s certainly picked on by the other students,” Lynch says.“As in any school people are reluctant to be close to that kind of person. Or to be seen to be close to her. But Harry is a lot more comfortable with himself in this film. He’s not as conscious of what people think of him or he just doesn’t care now.“He accepts Luna and he calls her a friend and she’s thrilled. She helps Harry to see sense when he gets caught up in his struggles. She reminds him who he is.”

She continues: “Luna seems small and young and not noted for being brave, and yet she is. She’s really calm though, she doesn’t get surprised by anything, and she accepts people’s differences,” Lynch says. “In fact J.K. Rowling told me as a character she’s the most adjusted to the idea of death in the whole series. That cuts out a lot of fear for her. She tries to impress it on Harry. She’ll take it as it comes.”

Evanna also gives her thoughts on her character and shipping, and yes it involves... Dumbledore. Quote: “Maybe I shouldn’t say this, because it might get me in trouble. But there’s this big thing among people who are fans of the books. It’s a thing they do as fans called ‘shipping,’ which is short for relationship.

“The fans create ideal pair ups based on the books. There are some really crazy ones. I don’t know if I should say. But some people think Luna and Professor Dumbledore would make a great pair in another universe. I mean obviously he’s far too old for her, but their personalities completely match. They’re calm and accepting and quirky and I think they’re both really creative. I’d say they’d be fun together.”

This lovely funny actress goes on to speak of her enjoyment of the theater and determination to carry on with acting post Potter, saying while she loves Ireland she is thinking of moving to London to pursue her career.

“I’m completely fascinated by the theater. I love going to the West End to see the shows. It’s acting without all the hype attached to it. Actors are given more fee reign, you know?” she says. “I just love watching one person on a stage holding the whole audience captivated. Whereas in film you’re very protected, you can mess up, you have that freedom and you can always ask to do it again.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lynch Interviews News

Doctor_who_5_thumb

Evanna is perfect as Luna – she really understands Luna’s character.

Posted by I've got a theory... *ROAR* on June 11, 2009, 10:51 PM report to moderator
Bookworm_thumb

What a great interview! Evanna’s fabulous; I always enjoy hearing from her. :)

Posted by Bookworm Jen on June 11, 2009, 11:02 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Love ya Evanna – you are Luna!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on June 11, 2009, 11:21 PM report to moderator

Evanna is amazing and I love her!! I never thought about the Luna/Dumbledore thing but now that I think about it the would go nicely together but I don’t see them as a couple even if she is much much older I see them as very good friends.

Posted by AlexaP*ROAR* on June 11, 2009, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

Love that interview. Evanna really gets Luna, it’s wonderful! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on June 12, 2009, 12:07 AM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

Dumbledore & Luna- that is so wild!

Maybe with the help of a time turner.

Posted by Hydrus on June 12, 2009, 12:08 AM report to moderator
Pluto_thumb

Dumby lovvees loonyy !!

Cheers for Evanna :)

Posted by simos girl {WBM} ~Lemon~ on June 12, 2009, 12:16 AM report to moderator
Ca67gdqr_thumb

I don’t think their relationship would be calm and boring at all; after all; age difference can be very intriguing. Imgagine Albus flying around on a broomstick or wearing that Gryffindor Cheer-on hat of Luna? Or even better yet, imagine him hiding Lunas shoes and socks only to give her stuff the opportunity to end up in in good places. Luna being Luna, I bet she’d get a little bit of a kick out of this.

Posted by SirEdwardsGuardian [WBM!] on June 12, 2009, 12:45 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

Evanna is awesome! i love her interviews! Dumbledore and Luna, ha, i have to say thats the most interesting ship ive herd, i really hadnt thought of that before! one of my favourite parts of the interview is when she said “JK Rowling told me..” and all i can think is: lucky girl! I would love to be an actress in the HP films and get to talk to Jo!!!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on June 12, 2009, 01:08 AM report to moderator
Hp7main_thumb

I could totally see Luna and Dumbledore (if she were older/ he were younger/ he was interested in that sort of relationship). People tend to right them off because of thier eccentricies but these two are always thinking, always seem to have things figured out before everyone else catches on.

Posted by 9and3qtrs[ROAR] on June 12, 2009, 01:15 AM report to moderator
Violetzoomin_thumb

Another person for Harry and Luna – Luna ‘understands’ Harry, the scene with the thestrals, and after LV’s defeat when Luna understands that Harry just want to get away for a while.

Posted by NuttyAsSP on June 12, 2009, 01:23 AM report to moderator
Stardust_thumb

Great interview! She is perfect as Luna, just what I pictured…and her glasses in HBP…I want a pair!

Posted by alisonshine [ROAR] on June 12, 2009, 01:36 AM report to moderator

Love Evanna & Love Luna!! Just wish her & Neville had ended up together

Posted by phantomles on June 12, 2009, 01:48 AM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Evanna Lynch sounds like she is very well grounded, just like the character she plays. If Dumbledore weren’t gay, she would be a ggod match for him!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on June 12, 2009, 03:06 AM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

I love Evanna interviews, she is the perfect Luna :)
And she makes an excellent point about Dumbledore and Luna, with a few changes I could totally see it :)

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on June 12, 2009, 03:30 AM report to moderator

Snape was looking as though the first person to ask him for a Love Potion would be force-fed poison.