Irish Central Feature: Evanna Lynch Talks Luna Lovegood in Half-Blood Prince and More

Lynch Interviews
June 11, 2009, 10:11 AM

Irish Central has now posted a new interview with actress Evanna Lynch who discusses her role as Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter series. Evanna speaks at length on the eccentric Ravenclaw student, noting her role in the events of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

“Luna doesn’t change but her position changes in this new film. Most people are aware of her reputation for being crazy. She’s certainly picked on by the other students,” Lynch says.“As in any school people are reluctant to be close to that kind of person. Or to be seen to be close to her. But Harry is a lot more comfortable with himself in this film. He’s not as conscious of what people think of him or he just doesn’t care now.“He accepts Luna and he calls her a friend and she’s thrilled. She helps Harry to see sense when he gets caught up in his struggles. She reminds him who he is.”

She continues: “Luna seems small and young and not noted for being brave, and yet she is. She’s really calm though, she doesn’t get surprised by anything, and she accepts people’s differences,” Lynch says. “In fact J.K. Rowling told me as a character she’s the most adjusted to the idea of death in the whole series. That cuts out a lot of fear for her. She tries to impress it on Harry. She’ll take it as it comes.”

Evanna also gives her thoughts on her character and shipping, and yes it involves... Dumbledore. Quote: “Maybe I shouldn’t say this, because it might get me in trouble. But there’s this big thing among people who are fans of the books. It’s a thing they do as fans called ‘shipping,’ which is short for relationship.

“The fans create ideal pair ups based on the books. There are some really crazy ones. I don’t know if I should say. But some people think Luna and Professor Dumbledore would make a great pair in another universe. I mean obviously he’s far too old for her, but their personalities completely match. They’re calm and accepting and quirky and I think they’re both really creative. I’d say they’d be fun together.”

This lovely funny actress goes on to speak of her enjoyment of the theater and determination to carry on with acting post Potter, saying while she loves Ireland she is thinking of moving to London to pursue her career.

“I’m completely fascinated by the theater. I love going to the West End to see the shows. It’s acting without all the hype attached to it. Actors are given more fee reign, you know?” she says. “I just love watching one person on a stage holding the whole audience captivated. Whereas in film you’re very protected, you can mess up, you have that freedom and you can always ask to do it again.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lynch Interviews News

Img_44501_thumb

lol young Dumbledore with..now luna? as in ..young luna? that’d be cool to see. haha love Evanna :]

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on June 11, 2009, 01:49 PM report to moderator
001_thumb

She sounds very sensible and mature.

Posted by saffran { roar } on June 11, 2009, 02:05 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I agree Harry and Luna together would have been great. She might be a little crazy but in a way so is he.

Posted by LunaLuver on June 11, 2009, 02:42 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

I really enjoyed this interview! Evanna really knows who Luna is and what she’s about.

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on June 11, 2009, 02:46 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

She’s so cool!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on June 11, 2009, 03:04 PM report to moderator

Haha, I love her! She’s a very good Luna. Hmm… Dumbledore and Luna? I could sort of see it… I guess.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on June 11, 2009, 03:24 PM report to moderator
Hogwarts03_thumb

I dont get the whole shipping thing…no offense to anyone who does it i guess i just like the way the characters were paired by JK. I cant even begin to imagine Dumbledore with Luna. I for sure thought she was going to end up with Neville. But sweet interview! Shes such a good portrayal of Luna.

Posted by IwishIwas@Hogwarts on June 11, 2009, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Lunagreen_thumb

I <3 Luna…I thought she was one of the smartest, strongest characters [wish she’s shown up sooner!] i hate that ppl call her Loony and think she’s ditzy

Posted by Flora Lovegood {<3WBM<3} on June 11, 2009, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

Interesting ideas.

Posted by budgie on June 11, 2009, 06:58 PM report to moderator

I love Evanna!

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on June 11, 2009, 07:42 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Evanna is delightful — she really is the perfect Luna. Love the idea of the Luna/Albus ship, but since we all know it wouldn’t be romantic, why couldn’t it be something like Professor Higgins/Eliza Doolittle? You know, companionship between two kindred souls. Excellent conversation. A touch of mischief. The rain in Spain? :o)

Platformnineandthreequarters_thumb

Yeah, she has a point about the Luna/Dumbledore thing!

Posted by juliadiggory92 on June 11, 2009, 10:18 PM report to moderator

Well, I never heard about ship Dumbledore/Luna and that would be a bit weird. . . But they two really have many things in common. :)
I like reading Evanna’s interviews. She is really nice girl and always honest about everything! :)

Posted by hp-fan (Roar!) on June 11, 2009, 10:36 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

cool interview :D

Posted by Prisoner Of Azkaban on June 11, 2009, 10:40 PM report to moderator
Hbpofficiallstills102_thumb

I don’t know that I agree with the Luna/Dumbledore thing.. I think they would be to much alike, see Ron and Hermione fit great together because they are some what opposites. I think Luna and Dumbledore’s realtionship would be boring, all calm and relaxed

Posted by Harry Potter 4 Ever!! on June 11, 2009, 10:50 PM report to moderator

"Black and Potter. Ringleaders of their little gang. Both very bright, of course -- exceptionally bright, in fact -- but I don't think we've ever had such a pair of troublemakers --"[br]"I dunno," chuckled Hagrid. "Fred and George Weasley could give 'em a