Weasley Clock Ticks Closer to Becoming Reality

Products
Posted by: Edward
May 09, 2009, 09:03 PM

Those who desire a Muggle version of the Weasley family clock may not have much longer to wait for this type of technology to be available in their homes.  The Times is reporting this evening that researchers at Microsoft have completed user trials for their Whereabouts Clock.  As TLC reported back in 2007, the company had been testing this device which 'monitor[s] the movements of family members through their mobile phones.'  According to the article, the device 'works by identifying which cell of a mobile phone network a family member is in at any given time. When users set up the Whereabouts Clock they have to give each cell a name, such as “work” or “school”, by downloading software onto their phone.'  With this information, the clock would be able to assign a location to each person based on when they enter that cell.  Researcher Richard Harper spoke of the aims of this device by saying:

“We want it to give enough information to be comforting without giving so much that people feel they are being watched."
The Times goes on to note that Microsoft is looking at how to market the product, but makes no mention of its release.  Janice Day, one of those who tested the clock, said that she "didn’t like initially everyone knowing where I was - and I thought, Janice, you hypocrite. But by the end I was actually quite happy about it."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Products News

208389_1809752216631_1624741607_1810808_1202878_n_thumb

thats so cool!

Posted by sleepyhead on May 10, 2009, 05:12 PM report to moderator

That is so cool. I would love to have one that looks a little bit better though. I also would not want my mother to have one though.

Posted by lifa *ROAR* on May 10, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

Kool… but a little creepy. It would be awesome to say “I have a working Weasley clock!” but there could be problems, as everyone else has stated.
Mr. Weasley would love it :P

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on May 10, 2009, 06:43 PM report to moderator
Mom_thumb

wow.this is cool

Posted by Adri the Ravie Nargle on May 10, 2009, 07:06 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

this would be great if it was a replica for hp fas but in the real world this is too much

Posted by Avangelis {WBM} on May 10, 2009, 08:00 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

Posted by Avangelis {WBM} on May 10, 2009, 08:00 PM report to moderator
Voldyneedsahug_thumb

That’s so cool!

Posted by squeefulhuffie on May 10, 2009, 08:00 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I personally think that such a device would spare families many unnecessary phone calls asking children, parents, and siblings where they are at. As worrisome as privacy concerns may be, I think that this is less dangerous than a device such as a GPS that can track you down right to the foot. This is actually, in my opinion, a less intrusive and more amusing alternative to it.

Posted by Kirk on May 10, 2009, 09:19 PM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

OH this is fantastic! It sounds absolutely perfect!

Posted by maera-kyrie on May 10, 2009, 09:42 PM report to moderator
Cauldron2_thumb

Oooohh, this will be handy for when my kids are teenagers!

Posted by PotionsLover on May 10, 2009, 09:58 PM report to moderator
Wwhprocky_thumb

This would be so awesome!! Well, I guess it would be as long as big brother doesn’t get too involved!

Posted by cryospear on May 10, 2009, 10:11 PM report to moderator
Hpsssorting_thumb

That’s pretty cool. A good thing for knowing where your friends are. I don’t know about parents. I’m an adult though so my parents don’t always know where I am. I wouldn’t mind if they did.

Posted by TheSortingHat[ROAR] on May 10, 2009, 11:34 PM report to moderator
102_0002_thumb

This is one of the best things i’ve ever heard!

Posted by Carmenriots on May 10, 2009, 11:54 PM report to moderator
Summer_trip__09_113_thumb

hmmmmmmmmmmm….intriging

Posted by HermioneWwannabe *ROAR* --%-{@ on May 11, 2009, 12:35 AM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

mrs weasley would be proud!

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on May 11, 2009, 01:45 AM report to moderator

"I don't remember asking you to show off, Miss Granger," said Snape coldly...