Weasley Clock Ticks Closer to Becoming Reality

Products
Posted by: Edward
May 09, 2009, 09:03 PM

Those who desire a Muggle version of the Weasley family clock may not have much longer to wait for this type of technology to be available in their homes.  The Times is reporting this evening that researchers at Microsoft have completed user trials for their Whereabouts Clock.  As TLC reported back in 2007, the company had been testing this device which 'monitor[s] the movements of family members through their mobile phones.'  According to the article, the device 'works by identifying which cell of a mobile phone network a family member is in at any given time. When users set up the Whereabouts Clock they have to give each cell a name, such as “work” or “school”, by downloading software onto their phone.'  With this information, the clock would be able to assign a location to each person based on when they enter that cell.  Researcher Richard Harper spoke of the aims of this device by saying:

“We want it to give enough information to be comforting without giving so much that people feel they are being watched."
The Times goes on to note that Microsoft is looking at how to market the product, but makes no mention of its release.  Janice Day, one of those who tested the clock, said that she "didn’t like initially everyone knowing where I was - and I thought, Janice, you hypocrite. But by the end I was actually quite happy about it."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Products News

Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

ooh this is so interesting! i doubt the whereabouts clock will ever get it to say “mortal peril,” but theyre trying! aww man this is so cool :)

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on May 10, 2009, 12:47 PM report to moderator
Clanmacq2_thumb

Hmm.. I like the idea of the Weasley’s clock. This one I’m no so sure of. It seems it could take things a bit farther and be too much.

Posted by Lizbit on May 10, 2009, 12:48 PM report to moderator
Micleakyavatar_thumb

I wants it!!

Posted by shellymione {WBM} on May 10, 2009, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Photo_41_thumb

wow that is so cool!

Posted by rebel on May 10, 2009, 01:30 PM report to moderator
001_thumb

Yes,I want one now! With 4 lively children it would be perfect!

Posted by saffran { roar } on May 10, 2009, 01:35 PM report to moderator

I cannot wait to get my hands on this. I just hope it will work with any cell plan.

Posted by iamrodefer22 on May 10, 2009, 01:43 PM report to moderator
Thio_palha_o_msn_thumb

Somethings should stay in the magical world. lol!
It already scares the hell out of me those google adds in my Gmail account. Like when I was talking about my graduation party and there were several adds on my Gmail saying “Graduation Parties? Click here!”.

Maybe the Weasley clock should continue to be only the Weasley clock!

But as this is a product that you choose whether you want to buy or not, it’s cool. Those who want it, be my guest! I prefer a flying broom. ^^

Posted by Thio on May 10, 2009, 02:27 PM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

pretty cool

Posted by placebowiz on May 10, 2009, 02:52 PM report to moderator
Gatinho_thumb

Hahahah too bad it is going to be done by Microsoft…. it is going to freeze up and everybody is going to be in mortal peril! :P

Posted by Carol Carvalho on May 10, 2009, 03:07 PM report to moderator
N576625453_6111621_3673150_thumb

Want it, but with the grandfather clock style, with hands. Please Mr Gates?

Posted by readthroughthenight on May 10, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

“Users who wish to conceal their location can switch off the application. If they want to provide more precise information, they can text a message that will appear on the clock face. "

So you could actually say “Hi mom i ’m at school now as you can see.”
No thanks it’s very creepy and i don’t want another spying machine.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on May 10, 2009, 03:27 PM report to moderator
143_thumb

OMG
horrah for technology, a muggles magic

Posted by LifeInAPizzaBox on May 10, 2009, 04:06 PM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

Oh wow that would be totally amazing

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on May 10, 2009, 04:38 PM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

I want one…. totally want one

Yes!! And no.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on May 10, 2009, 04:53 PM report to moderator

People had been teasing her so much about being the thing that Viktor Krum would most miss that she was in a rather tetchy mood.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014