Weasley Clock Ticks Closer to Becoming Reality

Products
Posted by: Edward
May 09, 2009, 09:03 PM

Those who desire a Muggle version of the Weasley family clock may not have much longer to wait for this type of technology to be available in their homes.  The Times is reporting this evening that researchers at Microsoft have completed user trials for their Whereabouts Clock.  As TLC reported back in 2007, the company had been testing this device which 'monitor[s] the movements of family members through their mobile phones.'  According to the article, the device 'works by identifying which cell of a mobile phone network a family member is in at any given time. When users set up the Whereabouts Clock they have to give each cell a name, such as “work” or “school”, by downloading software onto their phone.'  With this information, the clock would be able to assign a location to each person based on when they enter that cell.  Researcher Richard Harper spoke of the aims of this device by saying:

“We want it to give enough information to be comforting without giving so much that people feel they are being watched."
The Times goes on to note that Microsoft is looking at how to market the product, but makes no mention of its release.  Janice Day, one of those who tested the clock, said that she "didn’t like initially everyone knowing where I was - and I thought, Janice, you hypocrite. But by the end I was actually quite happy about it."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Products News

Avataranna_thumb

How i wish I could have a clock like this!

Posted by Anna on May 10, 2009, 12:36 AM report to moderator
Goblet-of-fire-poster_thumb

wow that is really intresting

Posted by grimnakjarman {ROAR} on May 10, 2009, 12:47 AM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

Wow, that’s amazing! Molly would be proud =)

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on May 10, 2009, 12:55 AM report to moderator
1slytherin_thumb

This would be interesting, but the people who would need it most would be the most annoyed by it.

For example, my parents never know where my sister is…actually, I have no idea where she is right now… but she would probably be really ticked off if they knew where she was all the time.

Posted by grlGoddess []FTC![] on May 10, 2009, 01:29 AM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

interesting

Posted by bec majec *roar* on May 10, 2009, 02:06 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_thumb

That’s kind of creepy, but kind of cool, I guess.

Posted by Lady of the Lake on May 10, 2009, 02:08 AM report to moderator
Boston_20day_203_20070_thumb

Interesting.

Posted by Bre S. on May 10, 2009, 02:11 AM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

YAY!! Weasley clock for muggles… How amazing is that!!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on May 10, 2009, 03:08 AM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

That is so cool! I can’t actually imagine it though lol!

Posted by AbiDumbledore on May 10, 2009, 03:30 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Hmmmm….well, I’d like to see it properly. And see it work. And see it look like the weasleys’ one.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on May 10, 2009, 03:46 AM report to moderator
Slytherinbodies_thumb

Interesting idea. So many technological ideas have been finding reality when before they were just fiction. A lot of what was considered “science fiction” in the 1940s-1960s is now commonplace or even old-fashioned to us now (though I still want the hovercar that’s affordable and accomodates the whole family!)

Posted by wolfiejinn on May 10, 2009, 03:51 AM report to moderator
Toby_metal_thumb

Arthur would be amazed. its kind of like how star trek inspired cell phones lol

Posted by splinch on May 10, 2009, 03:51 AM report to moderator
N35500137_30859274_1022_thumb
1995 Points

i just want the weasley clock to be real!

Posted by LunaGinevraBlack on May 10, 2009, 04:05 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Awesome!!!!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on May 10, 2009, 04:09 AM report to moderator
Da_copy_thumb

Mothers and Harry Potter collectors would want this clock. Many teenagers wont! If I was a teenager and I dont want my mother know where I am, I will be plotting how to avoid this obstacle. I may come up with an idea of buying another “pay as you go” phone and leave the other phone at a place that mother would approve! But that was when I was a teenager. Today, I’m all for tracking these damn wayward teenagers, lol.

But on the really practical side this is quite a good idea to keep track of their children. Its also a good idea for a married couple to get this to avoid temptation on cheating on each other and develop trust for each other! ;) Otherwise its just really cool news that such a device can be made, even if it isnt really marketable :)

Posted by Professor Potter on May 10, 2009, 04:17 AM report to moderator

"She's -- she's sent me a Howler," said Ron faintly.[br]"You'd better open it, Ron," said Neville in a timid whisper. "It'll be worse if you don't. My gran sent me one once, and I ignored it and" -- he gulped -- "it was horrible."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014