Tom Felton Reflects Back on Landing Part as Draco Malfoy for Harry Potter Films

Felton
May 29, 2009, 09:47 AM

Actor Tom Felton has given a new interview to the Press Association where he reflects back on landing the part of Draco Malfoy for the Harry Potter films. He said that he originally wanted to play the part of the boy who lived, but ended up with the part of his nemisis.

"I went for Harry for about five times and then Ron for a couple more and ended up dying my hair blond for Draco. I had my hair dyed brown, ginger and then blond and finally they got it right. "I know Chris Columbus (director) was very keen I think to use me in the film but didn't quite know where to place me so to speak, so I am glad he found a place. I don't know what he saw in me as an 11-year-old, I can't see how I could be evil, but I am very glad he gave me the part of Draco definitely."

With Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince due out shortly in theaters July 15, Tom also gave some thoughts on the last movie, as filming for the final installment in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is well underway: "It's a sad thought and an exciting one at the same time - I think we're all a little bit anxious about it being the last one but at the same time very excited to see what's going to come for all of us."

He added: "I have endless memories. To pick out one is an endless task, but collectively the seven years have been a huge, huge experience for me and a great learning experience and I've met some great friends and it's been too good to be true."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

Nicole29_thumb

Haha. Well he’s the PERFECT Draco!
I hope that all the HP actors have far-fetched futures ahead of them! ;)

Posted by Neviluna Lupin [FTC!] on May 31, 2009, 06:40 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

I’m sure he could have done the other parts well, but I can’t picture him as anyone but Draco! He’s amazing for the part! And he definatly will (continue to) have a great career, his acting and music are awesome!
Christopher Columbus did do a great job with casting ALL of the characters!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on June 01, 2009, 06:10 AM report to moderator

Yeah I couldn’t imagine him playing anyone else really, but then we wouldn’t be comparing him to Rupert or Dan.

Posted by blue_dreamer on June 01, 2009, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I am glad that he ultimately was chosen to be Draco; he is absolutely perfect for and suits the demands of the role.

Posted by Kirk on June 01, 2009, 11:58 PM report to moderator
Ca67gdqr_thumb

I would love to see him getting many different roles!

Posted by SirEdwardsGuardian [WBM!] on June 02, 2009, 03:01 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

Tom Felton has been great as Draco. His sneer is true Malfoy. Jason Isaacs must have taught him well. lol.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on June 02, 2009, 11:07 AM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

I think that Chris Columbus was right to cast him as Draco. I cannot see him as Harry, his face is all wrong for the nice guy. And he seems to pompous to be the humble best friend. He is perfect as the jerk face with the connected father.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on June 03, 2009, 11:24 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Trying to answer a question with Hermione next to him, bobbing up and down on the balls of her feet with her hand in the air, was very off-putting...