Tom Felton Reflects Back on Landing Part as Draco Malfoy for Harry Potter Films

Felton
May 29, 2009, 09:47 AM

Actor Tom Felton has given a new interview to the Press Association where he reflects back on landing the part of Draco Malfoy for the Harry Potter films. He said that he originally wanted to play the part of the boy who lived, but ended up with the part of his nemisis.

"I went for Harry for about five times and then Ron for a couple more and ended up dying my hair blond for Draco. I had my hair dyed brown, ginger and then blond and finally they got it right. "I know Chris Columbus (director) was very keen I think to use me in the film but didn't quite know where to place me so to speak, so I am glad he found a place. I don't know what he saw in me as an 11-year-old, I can't see how I could be evil, but I am very glad he gave me the part of Draco definitely."

With Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince due out shortly in theaters July 15, Tom also gave some thoughts on the last movie, as filming for the final installment in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is well underway: "It's a sad thought and an exciting one at the same time - I think we're all a little bit anxious about it being the last one but at the same time very excited to see what's going to come for all of us."

He added: "I have endless memories. To pick out one is an endless task, but collectively the seven years have been a huge, huge experience for me and a great learning experience and I've met some great friends and it's been too good to be true."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

Tom is amazing as Draco! He makes me love him more and more with each movie. =]

Posted by treacletartftw on May 29, 2009, 03:08 PM report to moderator
Sb_thumb
2017 Points

Yay for Tom! He is an awesome Draco! :D

Posted by Looie [ROAR!] on May 29, 2009, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Jd_thumb

I couldn’t picture him as Harry or Ron…. I’m glad they chose him as Draco.

Posted by hp_flower {WBM} on May 29, 2009, 03:39 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

fond for Tom through Draco, really glad he got the Draco part :]

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on May 29, 2009, 03:44 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

he was so cute as little draco and he has just turned into this great actor who is going to have a great career. he was one of the only ones to come into this project with a career and he is sure to have a long one many years down the road.

Posted by GF_of_Seamus on May 29, 2009, 04:09 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Tom is a smart cookie! He plays Draco the way I expected Draco to be, and adds a lot to the films.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on May 29, 2009, 04:31 PM report to moderator
Cheshire-cat1_thumb

He’s perfect for Draco. It’d be like trying to fit a bear into a pink tutu trying to picture Tom as anyone other than Draco! XD

Posted by The Cheshire Cat {WBM} on May 29, 2009, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Snapshot_20090621_1_thumb

Can’t imagine Tom as a Harry. He’s an epic Draco. :)

Posted by xxkristeen on May 29, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Summer_trip__09_113_thumb

Aw I love Tom Felton..such a great person. :) & a perfect Draco through the years too.

Posted by HermioneWwannabe *ROAR* --%-{@ on May 29, 2009, 07:52 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

one of the things i’m most anxious to see in hbp is seeing draco’s conflicts. i couldn’t see tom felton as playing any other harry potter character other than draco. i’mn sure he would have played a good ron, not too sure about harry. but chris columbus definitely had it right!

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on May 29, 2009, 08:15 PM report to moderator
Natalieportman14_thumb

Awww…! I think this is one of the sweetest things! I couldn’t imagine anyone else playing Draco.

Posted by Tassana Burrfoot on May 29, 2009, 09:38 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Can’t say that I could see Tom being Harry but he’s terrific at Draco

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on May 29, 2009, 09:55 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

He’s the perfect Draco. I also follow him on Twitter and have become a big fan of his. He’s such a great guy!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on May 29, 2009, 09:59 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

Yeah twitter really made me like him. too

He’s right for Draco!

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on May 29, 2009, 10:21 PM report to moderator
Dsc00162_thumb

As much as Columbus is regarded as a pedestrian director, he deserves credit for the remarkable casting choices he made on the first film. It’s nice to see him getting his due in that regard. One hopes that at some point WB releases screen tests. It would be fascinating to see the casting process at work.

Posted by dcrazmo {ROAR} on May 29, 2009, 10:30 PM report to moderator

He looked down at the back of his thestral's glossy black head and swallowed. "Ministry of Magic, visitors' entrance, London, then," he said uncertainly. "Er... if you know... where to go..."