Tom Felton Reflects Back on Landing Part as Draco Malfoy for Harry Potter Films

Felton
May 29, 2009, 09:47 AM

Actor Tom Felton has given a new interview to the Press Association where he reflects back on landing the part of Draco Malfoy for the Harry Potter films. He said that he originally wanted to play the part of the boy who lived, but ended up with the part of his nemisis.

"I went for Harry for about five times and then Ron for a couple more and ended up dying my hair blond for Draco. I had my hair dyed brown, ginger and then blond and finally they got it right. "I know Chris Columbus (director) was very keen I think to use me in the film but didn't quite know where to place me so to speak, so I am glad he found a place. I don't know what he saw in me as an 11-year-old, I can't see how I could be evil, but I am very glad he gave me the part of Draco definitely."

With Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince due out shortly in theaters July 15, Tom also gave some thoughts on the last movie, as filming for the final installment in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is well underway: "It's a sad thought and an exciting one at the same time - I think we're all a little bit anxious about it being the last one but at the same time very excited to see what's going to come for all of us."

He added: "I have endless memories. To pick out one is an endless task, but collectively the seven years have been a huge, huge experience for me and a great learning experience and I've met some great friends and it's been too good to be true."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

Image1jx7_thumb

ohhh..
haha..
tom’s cool even if he’s not the boy hu lived..
hehe..:D
he’s perfect as draco anyway.:D

Posted by moony-heart-tonks on May 29, 2009, 10:02 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_ljx6bckvt81qayzvw_thumb
2043 Points

after reading is twitters i found a new foundness for him

Posted by GinnyRose2004 on May 29, 2009, 10:15 AM report to moderator
1956p_thumb

talented as he is he sure could have been harry or ron, but it’s good he ended up as draco. it’s hard to think of anyone else than daniel and rupert as harry and ron

Posted by cleber*ROAR!* on May 29, 2009, 10:19 AM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

Tom would have been great at anyone one of them… Yes I go love his tweets too!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on May 29, 2009, 10:19 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I’m glad he has such a positive view, and glad he has a broad range of interests besides acting.

Posted by budgie on May 29, 2009, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

Arrr… Tom REALLY did go for EVERYTHING..! I couldn’t imagine him as Ron – that seems WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!

I’m looking forward to see what happens next for all the actors… Squeel

Posted by JustSuperMione on May 29, 2009, 11:19 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

he is the BEST Draco Malfoy EVER :D

Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

I have to say he is my favorite Slytherin besides Snape. A really good article. If they do the HBP correctly, he will be able to show more of his “acting chops”. He was seen very little in the OOTP.

Posted by Cool G on May 29, 2009, 11:38 AM report to moderator
Wwhprocky_thumb

I think Tom plays an excellent Draco. I don’t know if I could picture him as any other character though. :-)

Posted by cryospear on May 29, 2009, 11:42 AM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

cool beans

Posted by placebowiz on May 29, 2009, 11:45 AM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

They really did end up casting all the children perfectly. Tom is really the perfect person for Draco!!

Posted by RavenclawDancer on May 29, 2009, 11:52 AM report to moderator
106_4038_thumb

aawwee.. thats so sweet :( nice one tom! :D
huhuhu… HP is about to come to and end in the movies and books! but not in our hearts! :))
tears LOL!

Posted by gayle.marie [[ ROAR ]] on May 29, 2009, 12:05 PM report to moderator

Tom is so perfect as Draco…Chris Columbus got it right

Posted by blueheaven53 on May 29, 2009, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Greenavatar_thumb

He’s great as Draco, though. Somehow, I’ve also developped a fondness for Tom Felton =)

He’s a great Draco. Can’t really imagine him as anyone else now.

Posted by badger666 on May 29, 2009, 02:06 PM report to moderator

"This is bizarre!" Harry heard Ron yell from somewhere behind him, and he imagined how it must feel to be speeding along at this height with no visible means of support.