Location Filming for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Wraps In Wales, Shell Cottage to Be Dismantled

DH Film
May 17, 2009, 12:52 AM

As we've reported many times, location filming for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows took place this past week on Freshwater Beach in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It was scheduled to run just a few days, and Wales Online is reporting that "by Thursday preparations were being made to dismantle the Shell Cottage and the stars had made their way back to London, leaving only a few crew members and security guards to protect the ingenious set." Be sure to check out TLC's extensive collection of photos from the filming here in our galleries, including the most recent ones of the apparition from Malfoy Manor to the cottage.

The Wales Online article notes that many fans were excited to see the filming, and local business hope that fans and tourists will continue to flock to the area, even after the beautiful house made of shells has been removed.

Some hoteliers have been claiming business has been up by more than 150% on the average May, thanks to the arrival of the popular movie franchise at this particular corner of West Wales.
...

Restaurant owner Jonathan Hughes, 31, of Saundersfoot was on his second visit to the beach. “It’s fascinating, they’ve built an awesome set,” he said. “The detail on the house is very impressive. I was here on Saturday to watch them filming and there was a huge crowd. We saw a couple of the main actors rehearsing, which isn’t something you see every day. “I think it’s great for the area and it’s bringing in lots of visitors. I’ve spoken to people from all over the place. We were speaking to some teenagers from Shrewsbury who had come down for the day.

Pembroke Dock resident Chris Haines, 70, was keen to take pictures of the set before it disappeared for good. “It’s absolutely amazing. I used to work on films a long while ago but I’ve never seen anything like this. I love it.” The set has attracted thousands of visitors over the last week. “It’s a pity they can’t leave it here, people would be flocking here all year round.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Rupes_maggie_thumb

wow, i can’t believe they’re taking it down already!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on May 17, 2009, 06:45 AM report to moderator
Img000029_thumb

Aww, I wish I could’ve seen it =[

Posted by omgitslouise [WBM] [Ravenvlog <3's Me] on May 17, 2009, 06:55 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

aww sadness that shell cottage is like, gonna be no more. but yeah it’ll be on film and stuff. so excited about this movie.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on May 17, 2009, 07:37 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

They should keep it up. I would go to wales jsut to see it and i’m from australia so thats saying alot!!

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on May 17, 2009, 08:32 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I hope they’ll reconstruct Shell Cottage for the new theme park or an exhibit. I love the way it looks and the setting in Wales is just gorgeous!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on May 17, 2009, 09:38 AM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

It’s sad that they had to take it down!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on May 17, 2009, 10:09 AM report to moderator
Iconator_1219385d1bc508ea565d4c902a6f052d_thumb

YAY! So excitement

Posted by Kara000 ~ROAR~ on May 17, 2009, 10:48 AM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

thanks so much to sue and all the leaky’ers that have contributed all the photos and stories =D awesome work guys. i agree, its a shame they’re dismantling shell cottage :( would be a great tourist attraction =D

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on May 17, 2009, 11:20 AM report to moderator
Rh_thumb

i really wish they wouldn’t dismantle the set pieces, i mean i would love to have visited it and seen the detail up close

Posted by boona on May 17, 2009, 12:42 PM report to moderator
106_4038_thumb

OMG..
They dont have to dismantle it… It was soo cool… :( and
@mischiefmanaged, why havent you read it DH yet!? better read it now.. :)

Posted by gayle.marie [[ ROAR ]] on May 17, 2009, 01:54 PM report to moderator
Micleakyavatar_thumb

Which means Fleur won’t be at Shell Cottage (and probably not in the film?)

Posted by shellymione {WBM} on May 17, 2009, 02:55 PM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

I assume that means there’s no Lupin coming to the burrow scene – hmph.
Shame it’s all over, I’ve enjoyed the daily updates.

Posted by Juine on May 17, 2009, 03:14 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@Verity Weasley, it means that I haven’t read it yet. I’ve seen the first five HP movies but I only started reading the books a couple of months ago, and being a rather slow reader, I’m only up to OOTP at the moment. But I can’t wait to lay my hands on HBP and DH, the two books I haven’t yet seen as movies.

Posted by MischiefManaged on May 17, 2009, 03:18 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

They did a great job in such a short amount of time! Although im sad they are taking it down im just glad that we know its going to be in the film.

Posted by AbiDumbledore on May 17, 2009, 06:17 PM report to moderator
Cdn2

bye shell cottage..

Posted by phempot ♥{ROAR}♥ on May 17, 2009, 08:12 PM report to moderator

"We won! You won! We won!" shouted Ron, thumping Harry on the back. "And I gave Malfoy a black eye, and Neville tried to take on Crabbe and Goyle single-handed!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014