JK Rowling Writes Piece on U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown for Time Magazine

J.K. Rowling
May 01, 2009, 04:14 PM

Time Magazine has released their annual list of the 100 Most Influential people in the world. Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has written a piece about the number two man on the list, U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown. A long time friend of the Prime Minister, readers will recall J.K. Rowling was a recent guest at 10 Downing Street for a dinner held by Gordon and Sarah Brown for the spouses of the members of the G20 world economic summit that included Michelle Obama, wife of US President Barack Obama. JKR  writes of the current Prime Minister:

Back in the mid-1990s, when he was new labour's brooding, intellectual heavyweight, I was a lone parent struggling to get by. He said he was not interested in stigmatizing the poor but in finding solutions for their predicament. I was tired of hearing government ministers lambaste the likes of me as irresponsible scroungers. I wanted Gordon Brown in charge.

He went on to become one of the longest-serving Chancellors of the Exchequer that Britain has ever seen. While our economy grew strongly, he could have stood back and done nothing; on the contrary, he brought in and continually drove up the minimum wage, and 600,000 children and a million pensioners were raised out of poverty. Brown believed the wealthy would always be able to look after themselves; it was people at the other end of the economic scale that government ought to be helping.

When capitalism shuddered on its foundations last year, Brownite words like responsibility and morality started issuing from the unlikeliest politicians. Global financial regulation, something Brown had advocated long before last September, shot to the top of the political agenda. Now Prime Minister, Brown took a lead among European leaders in setting a course for economic recovery. He hosted the most important meeting of the world's major economies in years. In doing so, the British press said, he had become "Chancellor to the world."

The son of a Presbyterian minister, with a formidable intellect and a work ethic to shame a nest of ants, the 58-year-old Brown is frequently dubbed "dour." I know him as affable, funny and gregarious, a great listener, a kind and loyal friend. These are strange and turbulent times, but issues of fairness, equality and protection of the poor have never been more important. I still want Gordon Brown in charge.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

hmmm… well i can see where Jo is coming from, and she has a real way with words,… but on the other hand i don’t support Labour, i support Green followed by liberal democrats… my parents used to be very poor and labour didn’t help them much… but i don’t know… i’m sure he is a nice person if Jo say’s he is…
x

Posted by Freya-Storm on May 02, 2009, 11:44 AM report to moderator
Css_115_thumb

Wow JKR really is a gifted writer – she can write nonfiction as well as fiction. That’s hard. You can see here that she really cares about what she’s written. She is really sincerely grateful for what Prime Minister Brown did for the poor while working as Chancellor of the Exchequer — and since she was once on welfare, I’m sure she knows just how bad the plight of the poor was.

I’m American, so I can’t claim to know how the British political system works. But politics aside, I think this is very well written and deserves to be applauded for that reason alone. Good work JKR! (I still don’t feel secure enough to call her Jo).

Posted by AleraofRavenclaw on May 02, 2009, 01:36 PM report to moderator

NO POLITICS!!!!! Commenting on Jo’s writing is fine. This is not the place to spew your political opinions, no matter what they are. WE DON’T CARE!!!!!!!

Posted by jeannemclROAR on May 02, 2009, 03:20 PM report to moderator
Triple_thumb

i am disappointed that such a brilliant woman would make such an unbelievably bad judgement and say that gordon brown is influencial in any way other that “dont do this and you’ll be fine”
he is a poor excuse for a politician and i was horrified enough when she gave him money.

Posted by HudMug1712 on May 02, 2009, 04:18 PM report to moderator
Da_copy_thumb

Hmm, well if Jo approves of Gordon Brown then i will vote for him, LOL. I believe Jo has good instincts about people and I trust her instinct. My only problem is Gordon brown seems too vulnerable and lacks authority. A prime minister needs to have a presence of authority who can get things done and give people confidence in him. Obama faces the same issues as Gordon but demands respect, is convicted, authoritative and instils confidence. Gordon has none of those qualities, I am afraid. All I can go on is Jo’s word that he is sincere. And sincerity is after all the number one quality. But it is sincerity that we can never be too sure of the person we vote for.

I prefer a leader that can lead and do the job rather than a leader that tries to please and gives me what I want.

Posted by Professor Potter on May 02, 2009, 07:26 PM report to moderator
Fish_02_thumb

yay jo!

Posted by Gobbledygook [Sparrow] [WBM] J.O.R. on May 03, 2009, 01:41 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

hmmm

Profile_thumb

Heh. It’s not going to be a popular opinion, but I’m proud of Jo for having integrity and publishing something like this even when a lot of people won’t like it.

In my opinion there are three main reasons most people hate Brown:
1. The economy is in a mess and apparently that’s his fault. [This is because as chancellor he did exactly what every other developed country in the world did. He should’ve been different people say, which is fair enough, but not a good reason to vote someone out imo.]
2. He isn’t charismatic. And most importantly…
3. Because the press hate him. Most people believe what they see on TV and read in their newspapers without question, and that makes me rather sad. But the press is run by the rich and they also happen to love bandwagons because they sell very nicely.

So as it stands I’m 90% sure he won’t be the Prime Minister after the next election. We’ll be slinging left wing intelligence for right wing charisma… there’s a comment not often heard! Traditionally it’s been the other way around in the UK.

That’s my take on it. I don’t see that the country’s in a mess at all, beyond the results of the economic crisis everyone’s facing. This isn’t the place to debate politics, so I doubt I’ll check back here, but that’s my two cents.

Posted by David Wood on May 03, 2009, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Riddle_thumb

Wow! A wonderfully written piece! Her writing is so descriptive and heartwarming even though I don’t support Labour! Cue rant: My mum rents properties and a lot of her tenants live off benefits with no intent of trying to get themselves out. And when the tenants wreck the house, steal furniture, bash in the walls and don’t pay their rent, we’re the ones who have to fork out the cash to pay for it. And when you’ve already spent time and money making it look beautiful for someone to live in, it’s horrible coming back to find your house like that. Fair? I don’t think so. Of course it’s right to help those like Jo who are honest and hard working but find it extremely difficult to make ends meet, however allowing people to live off hand outs with no incentive to get back to work has to stop.

Anyway, lol. Jo’s awesome :)

Posted by RiddleTM on May 04, 2009, 09:45 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Jo is such a talented writer. anything she writes is fabulous, whether it’s about politicians or not.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on May 04, 2009, 11:59 AM report to moderator

That was interesting to read about Jo’s political views.

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on May 04, 2009, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Avatars_books_quotes_feb03_thumb

Beautifully written! She makes Gordon Brown sound so good, I’ll have to get this article

Posted by potterkid on May 04, 2009, 08:25 PM report to moderator

"It's our dad dying we're talking about!" yelled George.[br]"Your father knew what he was getting into, and he won't thank you for messing things up for the Order!" said Sirius angrily in his turn. "This is how it is -- this is why you're not in the Orde