JK Rowling Writes Piece on U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown for Time Magazine

J.K. Rowling
May 01, 2009, 04:14 PM

Time Magazine has released their annual list of the 100 Most Influential people in the world. Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has written a piece about the number two man on the list, U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown. A long time friend of the Prime Minister, readers will recall J.K. Rowling was a recent guest at 10 Downing Street for a dinner held by Gordon and Sarah Brown for the spouses of the members of the G20 world economic summit that included Michelle Obama, wife of US President Barack Obama. JKR  writes of the current Prime Minister:

Back in the mid-1990s, when he was new labour's brooding, intellectual heavyweight, I was a lone parent struggling to get by. He said he was not interested in stigmatizing the poor but in finding solutions for their predicament. I was tired of hearing government ministers lambaste the likes of me as irresponsible scroungers. I wanted Gordon Brown in charge.

He went on to become one of the longest-serving Chancellors of the Exchequer that Britain has ever seen. While our economy grew strongly, he could have stood back and done nothing; on the contrary, he brought in and continually drove up the minimum wage, and 600,000 children and a million pensioners were raised out of poverty. Brown believed the wealthy would always be able to look after themselves; it was people at the other end of the economic scale that government ought to be helping.

When capitalism shuddered on its foundations last year, Brownite words like responsibility and morality started issuing from the unlikeliest politicians. Global financial regulation, something Brown had advocated long before last September, shot to the top of the political agenda. Now Prime Minister, Brown took a lead among European leaders in setting a course for economic recovery. He hosted the most important meeting of the world's major economies in years. In doing so, the British press said, he had become "Chancellor to the world."

The son of a Presbyterian minister, with a formidable intellect and a work ethic to shame a nest of ants, the 58-year-old Brown is frequently dubbed "dour." I know him as affable, funny and gregarious, a great listener, a kind and loyal friend. These are strange and turbulent times, but issues of fairness, equality and protection of the poor have never been more important. I still want Gordon Brown in charge.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Gftw_thumb

Hey I respect the Idea that shes writing different things. :-D

Posted by iconshero [GftW] on May 01, 2009, 09:39 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

Jo can write anything!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on May 01, 2009, 09:55 PM report to moderator
Dscn0756-1_thumb

@cghambright I absolutely loved her Harvard speech. It was awesome.

Posted by Shane [WBM] on May 01, 2009, 11:00 PM report to moderator
5908_12290828084_thumb

good

Posted by hbp will be betterthan tdk on May 01, 2009, 11:26 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

wow. this is great.
I think Mr. Brown is an incredibly lucky man to have Jo write about him AND write about him w/ so much respect..

I would love for Jo to write a column..Reading her opinions every week or even every month would be pretty osm…especially since she writes so well :)

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on May 02, 2009, 12:51 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Good for Jo to voice her opinions to us.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on May 02, 2009, 03:36 AM report to moderator

Its amazing that she can be so so out of step with what the vast majority of people think. OK -she is Brown’s friend -and full marks to her for being very loyal, but its the first I have heard of a nice lady staying on the sinking ship !

Posted by Beazle on May 02, 2009, 03:38 AM report to moderator

Posted by Beazle on May 02, 2009, 03:38 AM report to moderator
08-05-18_02-17_thumb

interesting article,I enjoyed reading Jo’s words once again,even if it’s an article that praises a politician(I just can’t trust them)

Posted by scarymissmary28[WBM!] on May 02, 2009, 03:48 AM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

I really love it when she writes even these kinds of stuff not related to HP at all. There’s always a hint of the wizarding world in it. :D

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on May 02, 2009, 05:17 AM report to moderator

Jo is a great writer, however this is borderline sycophantic in style.

Posted by jain on May 02, 2009, 05:25 AM report to moderator

Very interesting article. Although I know very little about British politics, I think it is a little childish that those who don’t agree with her are saying she is politically clueless. Clearly she isn’t, her ideas just differ from yours.

Posted by WickedLoz on May 02, 2009, 07:04 AM report to moderator
Party_thumb

sing it, sister!

Posted by Addie (madampenna) on May 02, 2009, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

As always, Ms. Rowling, wonderful writing!!

Posted by RavenclawDancer on May 02, 2009, 10:54 AM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

I get excited whenever I see something written by Jo; even her to-do list would catch my attention completely. And I agree completely with Mary11, it would be wonderful if she wrote a column periodically.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on May 02, 2009, 11:35 AM report to moderator

"I haven't eaten for nearly four hundred years," said the ghost. "I don't need to, of course, but one does miss it. I don't think I've introduced myself? Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington at your service. Resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014