LeakyNews.com

JK Rowling Steps Down from MS Society Scotland?

J.K. Rowling
April 08, 2009, 05:08 PM

There is a new report tonight stating J.K. Rowling has resigned her role as Patron of MS Society Scotland, an organization she has long supported. The Press Association is reporting tonight that JKR is stepping aside from her involvement in the charity due to internal conflicts, and has this quote from the Harry Potter author:

"I have now reluctantly decided that I cannot, in good conscience, continue to be the public face of a charity that is changing beyond recognition from the one with which I have been so proud to be associated."

Readers will recall that Jo has long supported MS Society Scotland, often hosting elaborate fund raising gala events for the charity over the years, and has long worked to help raise funds and awareness of Multiple Sclerosis, the disease that claimed the life of her mother. We are working to learn more on her resignation, and will update with more when we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

4558_110541317616_500052616_2408093_477353_n_thumb

wow surprising, but I’m glad that she stood up for what she believes in and didn’t continue to support them with a conflict

Posted by 10thweasley {WBM} on April 08, 2009, 07:23 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

OMG! i wonder what the heck is going on! she wouldnt step down for no reason!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on April 08, 2009, 08:22 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

sadness.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 08, 2009, 08:25 PM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

That is really surprising. I’m sure she wasn’t very happy about it.

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on April 08, 2009, 09:20 PM report to moderator

I wish she would go into more detail, but she must have had a good reason..

Posted by Bradyboy on April 09, 2009, 03:46 AM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

I wonder wht happened – hopefully she’ll use her new free time to other charitible works, the scottish book or her wonderful family!

Posted by JustSuperMione on April 09, 2009, 03:55 AM report to moderator
Slyth2_thumb

ok cool :)

<<—- Add Me On Myleaky :]

Posted by NoeLover42 on April 09, 2009, 03:56 AM report to moderator
Paolo_nutini2_thumb

Bad news for that charity. . . .

Posted by Sidish_black6 [WBM] on April 09, 2009, 05:23 AM report to moderator
Ravenclawscarf_thumb

I am a member of the MS society in the UK and I have seen things changing but I have to say dispite the way the “officialdom” I considr that the member/sufferer is PARAMOUNT I understand others feelings and support Jo’s decision 100%

Posted by Flittwick on April 09, 2009, 10:39 AM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I’m surprised she acknowledged that her reason for resigning was due to a conflict within the organization. Usually people make some benign statement, but this was pretty blatant.
To me, that speaks to mismanagement within the organization. To allow a major fundraiser to leave your organization doesn’t say much for your board of directors.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on April 09, 2009, 11:38 AM report to moderator

DEAR JO IT IS HARD TO KEEP UP WITH ALL THAT YOU HAVE TO DO AND BE A MOM / WRITTER/ INTERNATIONAL HOST. MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU FOR ALL YOU DO. LET SOMEONE ELSE CARRY THE TORCH FOR A WHILE.

Posted by HGROSS44 on April 09, 2009, 11:49 AM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

This is a sad development.

Posted by Garden State Geek on April 09, 2009, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Justine_lam_thumb

Happy to hear that JK is still funding MS research. I work for an multiple sclerosis research organization that is trying to change the paradigm of research — speeding it up through collaboration with different labs & pharma co’s. Wish there was some way to get her to notice Myelin Repair Foundation.

Posted by Justine_Lam on April 09, 2009, 01:52 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

wow. that sucks. i respect her for standing up for what she beleives in. WAY TO GO JO!

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on April 09, 2009, 04:19 PM report to moderator
Summer_trip__09_113_thumb

hmm…muy interesante…I’m very curious now. Way to stand up with you believe in Jo and be eloquent and respectful about it at the same time. :)

Posted by HermioneWwannabe *ROAR* --%-{@ on April 09, 2009, 10:23 PM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?