JK Rowling Steps Down from MS Society Scotland?

J.K. Rowling
April 08, 2009, 05:08 PM

There is a new report tonight stating J.K. Rowling has resigned her role as Patron of MS Society Scotland, an organization she has long supported. The Press Association is reporting tonight that JKR is stepping aside from her involvement in the charity due to internal conflicts, and has this quote from the Harry Potter author:

"I have now reluctantly decided that I cannot, in good conscience, continue to be the public face of a charity that is changing beyond recognition from the one with which I have been so proud to be associated."

Readers will recall that Jo has long supported MS Society Scotland, often hosting elaborate fund raising gala events for the charity over the years, and has long worked to help raise funds and awareness of Multiple Sclerosis, the disease that claimed the life of her mother. We are working to learn more on her resignation, and will update with more when we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Photo_24_thumb

I wonder what they possibly could have done – or be doing – that would cause her to withdraw her support? Must be some internal squabbling or controversy over funds. That’s sad.

Posted by LupinAscending [WBM] on April 08, 2009, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Editedladybug_thumb

I agree Lupinascending, I want to know what could have happened.

Posted by sp00kym00ny~happy looks good on you! :] on April 08, 2009, 05:13 PM report to moderator
Becky_thumb

Wow, interesting. I’d like to know what the society is doing that would cause such conflict.

Posted by The Silver Doe on April 08, 2009, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Photo_5_thumb

wow. poor Jo.

Posted by NyssaM [FTC!!!!] on April 08, 2009, 05:24 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Wow. That is really surprising. I wonder what is going on? Maybe Jo will start her own MS Charity instead?

Posted by mollywobble on April 08, 2009, 05:27 PM report to moderator
1930 Points

Ahh, I’m curious now!

And, Linnyish, I heard that today too!

Posted by felixfelicis11 on April 08, 2009, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Twitter2_thumb

wow, this really is suprising, but I believe that she has her personal reasons for it, so I’m not going to question that decision..

Posted by Niphai on April 08, 2009, 05:33 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12001 Points

The people with that disease certainly can use all the help they can get. I hope things get sorted out. All the best Jo.

Posted by budgie on April 08, 2009, 05:36 PM report to moderator
Avatar_nerd_thumb

That’s surprising! Something really bad must have happened…

Posted by Imperiused! on April 08, 2009, 05:39 PM report to moderator

To quote Ollivander:
“Curious…very curious”

Posted by Zoom on April 08, 2009, 05:39 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It is a pity that she has estranged herself from this group. I only hope that the internal issues mentioned are not such that they impede its capacity to reach out to those affected by MS.

Posted by Kirk on April 08, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Headshot_thumb

Wow. Weird.

Posted by Lysh on April 08, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I wonder what the charity did to screw things up. It sounds like they did something that JKR didn’t approve of. But whatever, MS is an issue that JKR is deeply involved in so I’m sure she will continue to give money to the cause.

Posted by cghambright on April 08, 2009, 05:59 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

Wow.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on April 08, 2009, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

I wonder what this is about…

Posted by maera-kyrie on April 08, 2009, 07:10 PM report to moderator

"Mr. Potter," said Umbridge, "let me remind you that it was I who almost caught the criminal Black in the Gryffindor fire in October. I know perfectly well it was you he was meeting and if I had any proof neither of you would be at large today, I promise

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014