Actor Jamie Waylett Reportedly Arrested for Drug Possession in London

Legal
April 08, 2009, 05:45 PM

We have some troubling news to report tonight regarding one of the actors in the Harry Potter films. Stemming originally from a UK tabloid, world wide media have now carried the story that actor Jamie Waylett, who portrays actor Vincent Crabbe in the beloved film series, was arrested on charges of possessing an illegal substance. A rep for Scotland Yard told the BBC that police made the arrest after searching a car carrying 19 year old Jamie and a friend. "The car was searched and officers found eight bags of a substance believed to be cannabis," he said.

The report then goes on to state a search of the Waylett's home produced additional cannabis in the form of ten plants. "Officers found a number of plants believed to be cannabis plants and equipment for the cultivation," Scotland Yard said "Both men have been bailed until July pending further inquiries and tests on the substances."

MTV also points out that "Waylett, who has become a "Harry Potter" fan favorite, emerged from massive casting calls in the early part of the decade to land his role. A Slytherin student, Vincent Crabbe serves as one of Draco Malfoy's minions but is as helped by his size as he is fatally flawed by his dimness. An accomplice to the Death Eaters, Crabbe's wizard powers — and his distaste for Harry — increase throughout the "Potter" series."

Readers will recall of course that Jamie Waylett is a long time friend to us here at Leaky. As distressing as this news is for us personally as we do believe this to be accurate, we can only imagine how upsetting this news is for his family, close friends, and of course his fans. At this time we do not know how this may impact his future role in the Harry Potter series, with filming ongoing for Deathly Hallows, and notably his involvement in the future filming of the dramatic scenes involving Crabbe in the Room of Requirement.  Warner Bros has declined to comment as of now on this matter, and we are continuing to work to learn more on this report; more when we get it!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

Adcaco0flwcahqa5n3caqhki4hcaesm3l1cal7oa9rca57do1xcany46hlcaypimiicawbmnh7ca8s7p28cawdsyywca8dr2t0caprsds8catuw1odcahvuq9xcas6qtshca32vogycaoju2h6_thumb

WOW! I was SOOOOO shocked to see this on the homepage! Drug posession is bad, if not for the harmful effect but for the sheer fact of breaking the law, but dealing, as it looks like this is a possibility, is another thing entirely. I would hope that no matter what, if he is found guilty of posession and/or dealing the punishment will fit the crime. I am very interested to see what effect this has on the last film. Do we know anything about his filming schedule?

Posted by MadyGirl1987 on April 08, 2009, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

I hope he’s still able to be in the DH movies. He’s going to play a prety pivotal role in the final one!

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on April 08, 2009, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Everyone makes mistakes. Although this is a VERY BAD one … he’ll get through this, I guess. I’m not going to say anything more. I’m not supporting him or hating him .. just … commenting :)

Posted by Christine on April 08, 2009, 08:43 PM report to moderator
Img_0194_thumb

Right, not neccessarily saying I agree with the law (where as previously stated alcohol+tobacco are legal but cannabis is a class b illegal drug). However as a substance intervention worker in england I have to say if found guilty 8 bags would be classed as possession with intent to supply and ten plants would constitute “wholesale” cultivation I.e can’t argue personal use Jamie could well be facing a four year sentence serving about 2 1/2 though a looong probation order maybe possible either way it’s not looking god for him poor lad

Posted by Huffhop on April 08, 2009, 08:51 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by Courtney Quirke on April 08, 2009, 08:59 PM report to moderator
Lilly_thumb

At first I laughed. But ..wow. Can’t believe it. Ah, just like all the other starts Use there fame to get with boys/girls and get drunk. Shame shame shame.
I am glad I am not a huge fan. As a matter of fact, I kind of hated him.

Knew this would happen. Dumb kid.

Posted by Lilly-Angel1 on April 08, 2009, 09:09 PM report to moderator

must have got it from Weasley’s Wizard’s Weed

Posted by entoptic on April 08, 2009, 09:27 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_girl_thumb

ohh that is so sad! esp. since we’ve heard from him on leaky and in melissa’s book and he seems like a really nice kid. maybe he just made a little mistake?

Posted by ameema on April 08, 2009, 09:27 PM report to moderator

Shame on him. That’s very disappointing.

Posted by badger666 on April 08, 2009, 09:46 PM report to moderator
Books_25_thumb

This is sad, sad that people cannot do what they want to themselves without other jerks interfering. Its a victimless crime and hence, not a crime at all. Why is it that people can drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes and the like, yet when it is marijuana, people flip out. Look up the facts people at http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/ .

Posted by NoxNiveus on April 08, 2009, 10:02 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Whether you believe marijuana should be legal or not, it is still a crime to sell and distribute it in that part of the world. Having ten plants in your house is a very serious, and stupid thing to do. I feel very sorry for his family. He and his friend made some boneheaded decisions.

Posted by mollywobble on April 08, 2009, 10:11 PM report to moderator

How disappointing. That was my first thought. I can’t even thik (to myself) “Well,,,most teens experiment at some point, and it’s just a big deal because he’s a public figure”, I mean, it was 8 bags! That’s more than just teen experimentation.

Posted by hufflepuff_86 [OTC] on April 08, 2009, 10:14 PM report to moderator
Lights-_by_hakupuff_thumb

I’m also wondering how this will effect his filming. I’m also interested in how his fellow HP actors are reacting to this. I wonder if any of them will talk about it.

Posted by Samantha on April 08, 2009, 10:18 PM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

Praying for Jamie and his family…:(

Posted by RavenclawDancer on April 08, 2009, 10:25 PM report to moderator

I dont see why this is such a big deal, well i can…but its just weed. Ah well I hope he’s ok and is able to do DH… :)

Posted by fresh-pickled toad on April 08, 2009, 10:25 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I will personally be ensuring that no underage student hoodwinks our impartial judge into making them Hogwarts champion." His light blue eyes twinkled as they flickered over Fred's and George's mutinous faces. "I therefore beg you not to waste your time