Actor Jamie Waylett Reportedly Arrested for Drug Possession in London

Legal
April 08, 2009, 05:45 PM

We have some troubling news to report tonight regarding one of the actors in the Harry Potter films. Stemming originally from a UK tabloid, world wide media have now carried the story that actor Jamie Waylett, who portrays actor Vincent Crabbe in the beloved film series, was arrested on charges of possessing an illegal substance. A rep for Scotland Yard told the BBC that police made the arrest after searching a car carrying 19 year old Jamie and a friend. "The car was searched and officers found eight bags of a substance believed to be cannabis," he said.

The report then goes on to state a search of the Waylett's home produced additional cannabis in the form of ten plants. "Officers found a number of plants believed to be cannabis plants and equipment for the cultivation," Scotland Yard said "Both men have been bailed until July pending further inquiries and tests on the substances."

MTV also points out that "Waylett, who has become a "Harry Potter" fan favorite, emerged from massive casting calls in the early part of the decade to land his role. A Slytherin student, Vincent Crabbe serves as one of Draco Malfoy's minions but is as helped by his size as he is fatally flawed by his dimness. An accomplice to the Death Eaters, Crabbe's wizard powers — and his distaste for Harry — increase throughout the "Potter" series."

Readers will recall of course that Jamie Waylett is a long time friend to us here at Leaky. As distressing as this news is for us personally as we do believe this to be accurate, we can only imagine how upsetting this news is for his family, close friends, and of course his fans. At this time we do not know how this may impact his future role in the Harry Potter series, with filming ongoing for Deathly Hallows, and notably his involvement in the future filming of the dramatic scenes involving Crabbe in the Room of Requirement.  Warner Bros has declined to comment as of now on this matter, and we are continuing to work to learn more on this report; more when we get it!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

06_thumb

Oh no! I hope this isn’t true. The main reason this is big news to begin with is because he’s famous. What about the rest of the world? sigh

Posted by silverwings [FTC!] on April 08, 2009, 07:19 PM report to moderator

Way to overreact, people. It’s not the end of the world.

Do you have any idea how many celebrities smoke pot?

It’s not going to kill him. It’s one of the few illegal drugs that isn’t that dangerous.

Posted by Dillon K. Hoops on April 08, 2009, 07:23 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

The reason why I don’t think a drug possession charge when he was a teenager will effect his future career is not because weed never hurts careers – because it does. I think it won’t hurt his career because his career is acting. In Hollywood. Well, not actually Hollywood, but in big name movies, not in TV commercials. If your a spokesperson for a company, that’s different, because you are inexorably linked to them, and your image becomes their image. Not so for movies. If Dan did something like this, then it might have an impact, but you’re not going to see Crabbe’s face plastered on t-shirts and coke cans and such.

Really, I just hope that he isn’t dealing. If he is, then tsk tsks and such are well deserved. Otherwise…

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on April 08, 2009, 07:27 PM report to moderator

to mazzy,
Do you really think a minor character in the Harry Potter series is rich? Maybe I’m ignorant here, but I doubt he makes that much..for the few short scenes he’s been in the movies, mostly in the background..probably does okay but I doubt rich..

Posted by entoptic on April 08, 2009, 07:29 PM report to moderator
Witch_hat_thumb

Too bad, however, I hope that even if its true he stays on as Crabbe. He seems to be acting a bit too much like his character might.

Posted by *H*ROAR Mudblood Proud on April 08, 2009, 07:32 PM report to moderator

I bet, as “Draco Malfoy’s side kick” he’s pulling in at least 6-figures US for those few scenes. And honestly, even if he’s a pauper, my stance still remains – it’s the selling it that would be a problem in my eyes. IMO, if people react as if he’s handing out “favors” in public restrooms just because of weed, then they should react that same way to people who drink. Legality is ever-changing. Look at prohibition. That doesn’t mean that alcohol is barely addictive and weed is this horrid junky type drug – just the opposite in fact. So, I will not “tsk” him, nor do I see it as any kind of an issue at all unless he’s become a dealer and I have a problem with dealing simply because all kinds of shady business goes along with that and a persons hands get dirtier and dirtier when they play down in the mud.

Posted by Mazzy on April 08, 2009, 07:37 PM report to moderator
P1010036_thumb

This story is so sad. I sure hope that he gets help. With what they found it I hope he was not selling. That could land him in jail. We don’t know how they treat this in the UK. I also was looking forward to the scene in the Room of Requirement. In response to angelcakes, a small amount on your person could be a minor offence. But what they found in the car and the fact that he was growing the stuff it is not good. My prayers to all involved.

Posted by Tonks1OoM4,CW[ROAR] on April 08, 2009, 07:38 PM report to moderator
Imagen009_thumb

that’s terrible, I love Jamie. Send all good wishes to hi family and him

Posted by selene21 (ROAR) on April 08, 2009, 07:43 PM report to moderator
I-quote_ravenclaw0140_thumb

Wow, that’s a major screw up. It could have been much worse, sure, but it’s already blown way out of proportion and – with him being a part of such a huge franchise as Harry Potter – you can be sure that his name is tarnished all over the world – even here in Brazil there are news about this.

Now that the droppings have hit the fan, Jamie needs to be wise in how he deals with this. Hopefully he has a good PR, and I’m sure his family will be supportive.

Posted by L. P. Dantas on April 08, 2009, 07:47 PM report to moderator

Personally, I have never understood and will never understand the arbitrary distinction between “legal” drugs, such as alcohol and nicotine, and “illegal” drugs such as cannabis/marijuana/hemp and the harder stuff like cocaine and heroin – and everything that´s out there. Alcohol and nicotine kill far more people than all the others combined but nobody makes them illegal. And marijuana even has proven medical usages …

I don´t judge people on their personal choices. I don´t start disliking Dan Radcliffe, just because I have seen him smoke a cigarette. I don´t start disliking Jamie Waylett, just because of this. Whatever his reason, he has to deal with the fall-out. And it is not like he stabbed someone …..

Posted by Fonty on April 08, 2009, 07:47 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

shame shame shame. but. i thought it was pretty funny. XD

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 08, 2009, 08:03 PM report to moderator
Avatar_3_thumb

oh no… this really is troubling news… I’m shocked.

Posted by Lavendergirl ~WBM~ on April 08, 2009, 08:06 PM report to moderator
9-2007_003_thumb

I have to say I am really happy that none of the Harry Potter actors had gotten into this kind of trouble until now. I really do not care for the way Hollywood culture has evolved over the years. Particularly disturbing is the way many of the young actors behave. I hope that WB will deal with this better in the UK then they might in the US.

Posted by cantspellathing on April 08, 2009, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Teh_me_by_cheshirebat_thumb

Oh no! Personally I don’t care what he does on his own time as long as he continues to be a contributing member of society, but I just can’t understand why people in he public eye can’t even pretend to keep their noses clean. And 10 plants?! 8 SEPRATE bags? Sounds like a business venture… maybe the royalty checks weren’t keeping up with spending. Whatever the case, I hope for the sake of continuity that they keep him until the end of the series… though it didn’t really work out that way for the Dell guy.

Posted by QuiteContrary on April 08, 2009, 08:09 PM report to moderator
Seniorphoto3_thumb

I read somewhere, dont know where, where he admitted to smoking pot and partying. so i kind of wasnt surprised…when i first read the headline on aol.com that a Harry Potter actor was caught with pot…i automatically thought of him….so sad..

Posted by TheDeathlyHallows07 {WBM} on April 08, 2009, 08:10 PM report to moderator

"Hermione, I don't know what's gotten into you lately!" said Ron, astounded. "First you hit Malfoy, then you walk out on Professor Trelawney --"[br]Hermione looked rather flattered.