Actor Jamie Waylett Reportedly Arrested for Drug Possession in London

Legal
April 08, 2009, 05:45 PM

We have some troubling news to report tonight regarding one of the actors in the Harry Potter films. Stemming originally from a UK tabloid, world wide media have now carried the story that actor Jamie Waylett, who portrays actor Vincent Crabbe in the beloved film series, was arrested on charges of possessing an illegal substance. A rep for Scotland Yard told the BBC that police made the arrest after searching a car carrying 19 year old Jamie and a friend. "The car was searched and officers found eight bags of a substance believed to be cannabis," he said.

The report then goes on to state a search of the Waylett's home produced additional cannabis in the form of ten plants. "Officers found a number of plants believed to be cannabis plants and equipment for the cultivation," Scotland Yard said "Both men have been bailed until July pending further inquiries and tests on the substances."

MTV also points out that "Waylett, who has become a "Harry Potter" fan favorite, emerged from massive casting calls in the early part of the decade to land his role. A Slytherin student, Vincent Crabbe serves as one of Draco Malfoy's minions but is as helped by his size as he is fatally flawed by his dimness. An accomplice to the Death Eaters, Crabbe's wizard powers — and his distaste for Harry — increase throughout the "Potter" series."

Readers will recall of course that Jamie Waylett is a long time friend to us here at Leaky. As distressing as this news is for us personally as we do believe this to be accurate, we can only imagine how upsetting this news is for his family, close friends, and of course his fans. At this time we do not know how this may impact his future role in the Harry Potter series, with filming ongoing for Deathly Hallows, and notably his involvement in the future filming of the dramatic scenes involving Crabbe in the Room of Requirement.  Warner Bros has declined to comment as of now on this matter, and we are continuing to work to learn more on this report; more when we get it!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

Kit_thumb

Ah Jamie, it breaks my heart to read this news. I wish it weren’t true. :(

Posted by Fereverto on April 08, 2009, 06:08 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I hope that he can complete the series. Illegal substances are not a smart thing to do, but maybe this will be a chance to learn from a mistake rather than a nosedive for his future.

Posted by budgie on April 08, 2009, 06:08 PM report to moderator
Img_1236_thumb

I think this is so sad! Who would think this would happen. Especially to him!! D:!

Posted by Kasha224 on April 08, 2009, 06:11 PM report to moderator
Img_1236_thumb

Posted by Kasha224 on April 08, 2009, 06:11 PM report to moderator
Angiebumliac_hpdh_021_thumb

Wierdgirl5834: Cannabis is the whole plant, not just the part with the hemp.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on April 08, 2009, 06:15 PM report to moderator
Binns_thumb

If this is true, Jamie will have to face the consequences just as any other individual would. However, Jamie doesn’t deserve to be tarred and feathered. Let’s support Jamie for the sake of his future. If he is able to be back in the Deathly Hallows finale, I would be happy to see him.

Posted by oldprofessorbinns on April 08, 2009, 06:18 PM report to moderator
Mollyfied_thumb

My daughter just waylayed me in the hallway on my way back from the bathroom to tell me this, and my immediate reaction was that I had to get to Leaky to see if it was true. So sad that the usual elation that comes with the release of a new PotterCast had to be dimmed with this disheartening report. Dare I hope it turns out to be home grown catnip? Time alone will see the truth emerge.

Posted by Whisperwing*ROAR!* on April 08, 2009, 06:19 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

When I first saw the headline (actually, I found out through twitter about 7 hours), so when I first saw the tweet, I was worried, but then I found out it’s just weed.

And really, this is pretty much the best thing he could get arrested for, short of jaywalking. I mean, it could have been something like dangerous driving or the like.

Maybe it’s just me, but weed really isn’t that big of a deal, and I doubt it will ruin his career. Maybe in the ’80’s, but not now, and especially not in Europe. The only thing that worries me is the amount he had. Now, if he’s dealing, that’s something else entirely, but if he’s just partaking every now and then…

I doubt he’ll get more than a sizeable fine and some community service, and hope that’s all it is.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on April 08, 2009, 06:26 PM report to moderator
Me_edit_thumb

im quite surprised really…I watched one of his interviews, and he seemed so quiet, almost as if he wouldnt hurt a fly…but…i guess he does have his weaknesses…oh well…things happen…i just hope this doesnt harm the filming of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (or as WB will most likely call it) HP7

Posted by kraamerXmich ♠{WBM}♠ [Pigeon] on April 08, 2009, 06:27 PM report to moderator
Me_edit_thumb

Photo_4_thumb

this is crazy

Posted by bookworm1102 on April 08, 2009, 06:30 PM report to moderator
Alanrickman_copy_thumb

Saw this in the London paper today, im not surprised, I always see him, and the area he lives in, its prone to that sort of stuff.

Posted by Professor Alan Rickman on April 08, 2009, 06:32 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

WOWWWW! crabbe is a DRUG DEALER!!! OMG!!!!!

Posted by chocolaterabbits on April 08, 2009, 06:36 PM report to moderator
780129_thumb

Man, I really hope WB lets him stay for DH. I don’t think weed is a big deal either but he had a lot of it and that’s not good in the eyes of the legal system.

Posted by Oneqtmuggle on April 08, 2009, 06:37 PM report to moderator
Photo_1049_thumb

I think I’m with Dawlish and the Archies on this one…

Posted by eruanna317 on April 08, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator

"Secrecy Sensor. Vibrates when it detects concealment and lies... no use here, of course, too much interference -- students in every direction lying about why they haven't done their homework. Been humming ever since I got here."