Actor Jamie Waylett Reportedly Arrested for Drug Possession in London

Legal
April 08, 2009, 05:45 PM

We have some troubling news to report tonight regarding one of the actors in the Harry Potter films. Stemming originally from a UK tabloid, world wide media have now carried the story that actor Jamie Waylett, who portrays actor Vincent Crabbe in the beloved film series, was arrested on charges of possessing an illegal substance. A rep for Scotland Yard told the BBC that police made the arrest after searching a car carrying 19 year old Jamie and a friend. "The car was searched and officers found eight bags of a substance believed to be cannabis," he said.

The report then goes on to state a search of the Waylett's home produced additional cannabis in the form of ten plants. "Officers found a number of plants believed to be cannabis plants and equipment for the cultivation," Scotland Yard said "Both men have been bailed until July pending further inquiries and tests on the substances."

MTV also points out that "Waylett, who has become a "Harry Potter" fan favorite, emerged from massive casting calls in the early part of the decade to land his role. A Slytherin student, Vincent Crabbe serves as one of Draco Malfoy's minions but is as helped by his size as he is fatally flawed by his dimness. An accomplice to the Death Eaters, Crabbe's wizard powers — and his distaste for Harry — increase throughout the "Potter" series."

Readers will recall of course that Jamie Waylett is a long time friend to us here at Leaky. As distressing as this news is for us personally as we do believe this to be accurate, we can only imagine how upsetting this news is for his family, close friends, and of course his fans. At this time we do not know how this may impact his future role in the Harry Potter series, with filming ongoing for Deathly Hallows, and notably his involvement in the future filming of the dramatic scenes involving Crabbe in the Room of Requirement.  Warner Bros has declined to comment as of now on this matter, and we are continuing to work to learn more on this report; more when we get it!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

Dragon-small_thumb

Oh no. That’s so sad. I feel sort of bad for him, but what happens will happen. I just hope everything turns out ok.

Posted by Wolfheart (WBM!) on April 09, 2009, 09:13 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movie_hbp_feb08_003_thumb

Very disappointing really. I suppose it could be worse ….. River Phoenix comes to mind at times like this.

Posted by Jersey on April 09, 2009, 09:50 PM report to moderator
Cruci-os__thumb

Hmmph. Not that surprising, I’m surprised that none of the actors have been arrested yet. Seriously, if he wanted marijuana that badly, why didn’t he fly over to Amsterdam? Surely he could afford the flight….

Posted by Helios Lightra on April 09, 2009, 10:00 PM report to moderator

OK, I get very tired of everyone saying things like, “Oh, he’s a teenager. It’s expected.” I’m a teenager (16 going on 17) and I’ve never tasted an alcoholic beverage, smoked anything, and I plan on remaining abstinent. I don’t cuss either. (I’m a bit of a goody, goody.)
What he did was stupid. I’m not judging him as a person, but he knew he was doing something illegal.
For those of you saying, “It’s not like he was drunk driving,” he was found with possession in a car. Who’s to say they didn’t use it while driving!
Also they found equipment for cultivation. Doesn’t sound like he was worried about changing anytime soon.
I hope this is a lesson for him. Luckily stupidity isn’t a constant. I know I’ve got friends that have done stupid things, and thankfully they learned from those experiences. I hope he does the same.
Remember what Dumbledore said kids, “Curiosity is not a sin, but you would do well to exercise caution.”

Posted by McCleavy on April 09, 2009, 10:21 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

In slightly less contentious news, the count down clock is now back under 100!

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on April 09, 2009, 10:52 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

I agree with McCleavy and hope that he gets a trial like any other teen would… hope he’s okay and learns from his mistakes

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on April 09, 2009, 11:36 PM report to moderator
New_orleans_trip_628_thumb

its sad especially because the leaky staff likes him so much and the y mention him in pottercast often

Posted by peevespranker on April 10, 2009, 12:01 AM report to moderator
Mcgonagall_irked_thumb

Typical Slytherin… not as smart as Snape, huh?

Posted by Marcheline on April 10, 2009, 12:15 AM report to moderator
Bunnies__2__thumb

it wasn’t dobby or Neville who was gillyweed dealer…it was jamie! sad…

Posted by kapua79 on April 10, 2009, 04:50 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

That’s definitely unfortunate news.

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on April 10, 2009, 10:25 AM report to moderator
Ca67gdqr_thumb

Ehm; I don’t really get what the fuss is about. He is 19 and entirely responsible for his decisions and actions. Surely there’ll be a punishment of some sorts. But other then that – why even bring up the issue here?

Posted by SirEdwardsGuardian [WBM!] on April 10, 2009, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Stupifyavatar_thumb

I never got the feeling Crabbe was talented in herbology.

Considering cannabis was originally made illegal more for racist reasons then concerns for public health, I can’t take this more seriously than I would if I had learned that he had gotten drunk. At lest weed doesn’t make you puke.

I wish people would stop overeacting; he isn’t 12 years old anymore.

Don’t do drugs kids!

Posted by Leif Longbottom on April 10, 2009, 11:16 AM report to moderator

I don’t understand why they make such a drama because of a handfull of herbs. If it would be sinthetic drugs, well,.. but canabis pff. Don’t misunderstand this post, I don’t use drugs, but I think canabis harmless.

I like Jamie and I hope that he will be on the set for filming, it can’t be done without him as he is a main-charakter.

Posted by Eva Hedwig on April 10, 2009, 01:22 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

Aww! That is really sad! He seemed so nice when I read Harry, a History.

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on April 10, 2009, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Stupifyavatar_thumb

Believe it or not potterheads, there are nice people who smoke weed. It doesn’t turn you into a raging abusive lunatic like many legal drugs.

Posted by Leif Longbottom on April 10, 2009, 02:46 PM report to moderator

Frowning, he avoided [Rita Skeeter's] gaze and looked down at words the quill had just written: [i]Tears fill those startlingly green eyes as our conversation turns to the parents he can barely remember.[/i][br]"I have NOT got tears in my eyes!" said Harr

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014