Muggle Students Play Quidditch in Wales

Fans
Posted by: Edward
April 06, 2009, 04:08 PM

Students of the Ferndale Comprehensive School in Rhondda Cynon Taf, South Wales have the added benefit of a little magic to their physical education program with the inclusion of a muggle form of Quidditch into their sports activities.  The Guardian is reporting that a version of the game is being played at the school with the "absence of broomsticks and bewitched balls, [as well as a] 'seeker,'" and is more of a "cross between dodgeball and handball."  Seven year old Keiron Port says this of the sport now being played at his school:

"Quidditch is a good fun game, it is fast and has lots of exciting moments. My favourite position has got to be the chaser, I like it because you get to score most of your team's goals."
The paper goes on to report that addition of Quidditch at the school is part of a"5x60 programme" that insures secondary school students in Wales receive at least one hour of exercise five times a week.  James Vale, a PE teacher at the Ferndale Comprehensive School, notes that the wizarding game is beneficial to the students because "players are always on the go unlike in other sports where players are sometimes not really involved in the game" due to the constant threat of bludgers.  This Welsh assembly government initiative to get children active in new and different sports began in 2006, and has been implemented in "98% of secondary schools across Wales and is expected to encompass all schools in the country by the end of the financial year."

Thanks to Tom for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Harrypotter-100x100_thumb

I want to play Quidditch… :(

Posted by Hallows not Horcruxes on April 07, 2009, 08:43 PM report to moderator

Thats so cool, credit for playing muggle qudditch.

Posted by Bradyboy on April 08, 2009, 04:49 AM report to moderator
Howling_wolf_2__thumb

Thats cool :) not quite sure how it works, but it must be fun. wish we could do that in my PE class!

Posted by nicole 313 (WBM) on April 08, 2009, 07:14 AM report to moderator

Sounds like fun. My Cub group would probably enjoy this…

Posted by hufflepuff_86 [OTC] on April 08, 2009, 07:28 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_siggy_thumb

I wanna play! Right now we are playing stupid badmition!!!! It sucks! I wish that my gym teacher would let us play that! My gym teachers proubly don’t know what Harry Potter is!

Posted by harrypotterlover10 on April 08, 2009, 09:29 AM report to moderator
Ginny_thumb

omg thats soooo cool!!! i really wana play it in our PE lessons!! does anyone know the actual rules?

Posted by ginnywp WBM on April 08, 2009, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Cropped_thumb

I like PE but if it were like that at my school it would be cool!

Posted by ~ Asi ~ on April 08, 2009, 12:40 PM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

I’ve heard that several universities are getting Quidditch Teams, with a quick runner in yellow as the Snitch. Cool beans!

Posted by maera-kyrie on April 08, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator
2zpr1ao_thumb

I hate PE!!! If they played quidditch it would be so much better! =p

Posted by Dobbyrox [WBM] on April 08, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator
I-quote_ravenclaw0140_thumb

FINALLY people with sense realized that broomsticks are not needed in muggle quidditch! I mean, come on, have some muggle pride! :p

Posted by L. P. Dantas on April 08, 2009, 07:52 PM report to moderator
Slyth2_thumb

Thanks Tom :)

Posted by NoeLover42 on April 09, 2009, 03:57 AM report to moderator
Paolo_nutini2_thumb

Ok, how they are playin. . . :)

Posted by Sidish_black6 [WBM] on April 09, 2009, 05:19 AM report to moderator

THEY SHOULD INCORPERATE LACROSS INTO QUIDDITCH AND A CROSS OVER OF THE GAME THE MYAN INDIANS PLAYED WITH OUT THE LOSING TEAM BEING BEHEADED. NOW THAT WOULD BE FUN TO PLAY.

Posted by HGROSS44 on April 09, 2009, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Iconator_04e9497c4d2be426fe2888b16a16f53d_thumb

i wish my school had Quidditch :(

Posted by RaWr...WeReWoLf on April 10, 2009, 05:44 PM report to moderator
Dscf3733_02_thumb

actually,
my high school in tennessee is forming a quidditch team, too.
it’s not an official sport,
but it’s sponsored by the school.

we’re starting it next year.
:]

Posted by duo_93 on April 10, 2009, 09:16 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"What is it this time Miss Granger?"[br]"I've already read chapter two," said Hermione.[br]"Well then, proceed to chapter three."[br]"I've read that too. I've read the whole book."[br]Professor Umbridge blinked but recovered her poise almost instantly.