Muggle Students Play Quidditch in Wales

Fans
Posted by: Edward
April 06, 2009, 04:08 PM

Students of the Ferndale Comprehensive School in Rhondda Cynon Taf, South Wales have the added benefit of a little magic to their physical education program with the inclusion of a muggle form of Quidditch into their sports activities.  The Guardian is reporting that a version of the game is being played at the school with the "absence of broomsticks and bewitched balls, [as well as a] 'seeker,'" and is more of a "cross between dodgeball and handball."  Seven year old Keiron Port says this of the sport now being played at his school:

"Quidditch is a good fun game, it is fast and has lots of exciting moments. My favourite position has got to be the chaser, I like it because you get to score most of your team's goals."
The paper goes on to report that addition of Quidditch at the school is part of a"5x60 programme" that insures secondary school students in Wales receive at least one hour of exercise five times a week.  James Vale, a PE teacher at the Ferndale Comprehensive School, notes that the wizarding game is beneficial to the students because "players are always on the go unlike in other sports where players are sometimes not really involved in the game" due to the constant threat of bludgers.  This Welsh assembly government initiative to get children active in new and different sports began in 2006, and has been implemented in "98% of secondary schools across Wales and is expected to encompass all schools in the country by the end of the financial year."

Thanks to Tom for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Maraudersmap_thumb

That’s very cool. Too bad school in the US don’t have the kind of funding that would allow this type of PE sport to be played. Tough enough just trying to keep PE in the schools at this point.

Posted by rhadamenthes {ROAR} on April 06, 2009, 07:27 PM report to moderator
Gof_voldy-harry_thumb

Pottercast.com’s not working!!

Posted by hufflepuffkeeper9 on April 06, 2009, 07:50 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

had there been quidditch at my school, i would have participated in gym a lot more!

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on April 06, 2009, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

Haha :P That’s awesome! If we did that maybe I’d actualy like gym! harrypotterfan Kool twist!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on April 06, 2009, 07:55 PM report to moderator
Smart_ravenclaw_mock_thumb

I wish my school could buy a anti gravity chamber and programmed balls to play a real game of Qudittch. sigh… but we are still in debt for the extreamly boring football feild for a team that NEVER WINS! It seems like a more fundmaental thing to put that into the school dosen’t it?

Posted by readhp1008 on April 06, 2009, 08:36 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

That is amazing. I wish we had had Quidditch when I was in High School!

Posted by siriusismyhero on April 06, 2009, 08:52 PM report to moderator

Awesome!

Posted by badger666 on April 06, 2009, 09:58 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

haha I can already imagine american kids walking around w/ their letterman for Varsity Quidditch….I would lovee to play that, even if I sucked @ it, I’d work on it till I didn’t lol

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on April 06, 2009, 10:06 PM report to moderator
Becky_thumb

That is awesome. We are still trying to figure out a feasible way to play quidditch at my school.

Posted by The Silver Doe on April 06, 2009, 10:12 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

BUT I WANT A MAGIC BROOOOM DAMMIT!

Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

cool! here play quiditch at notre dame university! it is so fun!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on April 06, 2009, 11:47 PM report to moderator
Opossum_thumb

That’s awesome! I love Quidditch… It’s exciting to see so many schools starting to pick it up!

Posted by charminggoats on April 07, 2009, 12:05 AM report to moderator
Niagara-falls-rainbow_thumb

Wow! I like PE already, but this…

Posted by Kiralay (ROAR) on April 07, 2009, 12:29 AM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

Nice!

Posted by phantomdave79 on April 07, 2009, 12:52 AM report to moderator
Snapeharry_thumb

How fun!

Posted by missskye «Я☼AR» {OoM2} on April 07, 2009, 01:14 AM report to moderator

"No, no, no," said Bellatrix. She looked transported, alive with excitement as she glanced at Harry, then back at Neville. "No, let's see how long Longbottom lasts before he cracks like his parents... Unless Potter wants to give us the prophecy --"[br]"DO

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014