Kloves on Adapting Harry Potter: "Books Are Difficult to Wrestle to the Screen"

Movies
April 30, 2009, 08:40 AM

The Baltimore Sun is running a new article today, featuring an interview with Harry Potter film director David Yates, and also contains new comments from screenwriter Steve Kloves. Mr. Kloves is very complimentary of working with David Yates, and also speaks to the task of transforming the beloved Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling to the big screen.  Of interest are the following comments: "Kindness, decency and patience are the personal qualities that draw the loyalty of Yates' collaborators. Screenwriter Steve Kloves, a distinguished director himself (The Fabulous Baker Boys), has been working with Yates back-to-back-to-back on Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows I and II. He says Yates' "vast resources of patience" are good to have on Potter films, "since the books are difficult to wrestle to the screen." Kloves, the adapter of all but one Potter novel (Phoenix), writes first drafts that tend "to be both wishful and practical" in his desire to retain Rowling's details and plot twists. "Wishful in the sense that I want to get the entire book on the page and practical in the sense that I know the wishful side of me is insane."

The article also contains more from Steve Kloves on the decisions he and director David Yates made regarding which and how many Pensieve scenes to include for Half-Blood Prince.

"Prince presented challenges because of "a series of memories that inform the past and the present." While Yates "enjoyed the flashbacks enormously as separate incidents, he didn't feel they were satisfying within the whole. In other words, they diluted the dramatic experience from his point of view and he felt we needed to concentrate exclusively on those memories that informed one particular thread of the story - the story I was, by and large, telling."

Yates says, "We often have conversations which go along the lines of 'Will the fans really like it if we lose that?' Some choices may be right for the framework of the film but will put the fans out." Yates wants "to make sure the fans are happy" and says he always lets pieces of the book go "regretfully," but his goal is to make "the best adaptation that will warrant spending two-and-a-half hours in the dark."

Finally of note are high praises from director David Yates regarding the performance of actor Rupert Grint in Half-Blood Prince."He's always been the funny one, but he has so much more as an actor than that. In Prince, he has lovely stuff that's funny and true, but in Deathly Hallows, he must be defensive and haunted, and Rupert took to that like a duck to water. I'm always thankful that Jo Rowling gave us a world that allowed us to turn corners with the actors."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Avatars_movie_hbp_feb08_003_thumb

We shall see

Posted by Jersey on April 30, 2009, 10:03 PM report to moderator
9407947_thumb

Ok, I guess Kloves did some “changes” again.. Personally his screenwriting is alright until he begins taking lines from the other characters and giving them to Hermione Granger character… Hooray for Ruoert. He is a natural and I think it is great we get to see this side of him. I am also glad that I see Ginny’s character is going to have some more lines rather than face time. Fingers crossed for HBP!

Posted by sidnandragin on April 30, 2009, 11:21 PM report to moderator
Bleedintorain_thumb

Honestly, my biggest problem with Kloves is the fact that he is biased towards certain characters. Which was disappointing because it made me dislike parts of the first four movies.

I really felt that some of the parts they decided should be left out were big character development moments. However, I’m not saying that I can’t respect certain decisions made. OOTP was a long book and the movie turned out fantastically.

However, I have to say that I really like OOTP more than any of the previous films. (POA coming in second) So hopefully Kloves doesn’t edit character lines anymore.

Posted by Mogget on April 30, 2009, 11:45 PM report to moderator
Quidditch_2012_thumb

I’m so glad to hear that Kloves is back! I was slightly disappointed by OotP on film, and I’ve loved all the others, so this gives me great hope for HBP.

Posted by muzic823{ROAR} on April 30, 2009, 11:55 PM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

I’m persuaded that the DH movies are going to be the most challenging ones when it comes to acting. Mainly for the Trio. There’s gonna be a lot more character exchange than in the previous movies, can’t wait to see how that turns out.

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on May 01, 2009, 03:02 AM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

Kloves back means the movie should be great :)

Posted by blackhair on May 01, 2009, 04:32 AM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

hope he does make DH as good as COS

Posted by blackhair on May 01, 2009, 04:34 AM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

But the prob was the movie was too short and many things were left out

Posted by blackhair on May 01, 2009, 04:36 AM report to moderator

I used to hate Kloves.. Until my beloved OotP was butchered.

He is totally right though; as much as the book purists want to whinge and cry about it, it is so difficult to adapt from novel to movie. Doesn’t mean I’ve agreed with most of his decisions though..

Posted by WickedLoz on May 01, 2009, 08:36 AM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

“While Yates “enjoyed the flashbacks enormously as separate incidents, he didn’t feel they were satisfying within the whole. In other words, they diluted the dramatic experience from his point of view and he felt we needed to concentrate exclusively on those memories that informed one particular thread of the story – the story I was, by and large, telling.”

Hell, this is not going to be good.

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on May 01, 2009, 11:48 AM report to moderator
Bleedintorain_thumb

But the prob was the movie was too short and many things were left out

But the same thing could be said about the other films as well. I’m not too concerned with what was left out and what was left in. ((I was referring to OOTP, is you read my post.)) I’m more disappointed with Kloves bias towards Hermione and the fact that he often gives her lines that belong to other characters.

Posted by Mogget on May 01, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

It’s nice to hear how they think of the fans when adapting the books :)

Posted by *Adeline* ~ ROAR! :D on May 01, 2009, 11:59 PM report to moderator
Peeps_reduced_dscn0087_thumb

Kloves did good work, It is very hard to reduce a 7hr read to a 2.5 hour movie

Posted by huffledor on May 02, 2009, 01:40 AM report to moderator
Scan0077_thumb

There’s always going to be disappointment when our particular beloved parts of a book are left out in movie translations, but what’s important is that the emotional impact be true. I was really disappointed in ootp in how the Weasley twins exit from the school was handled. It was like they had run out of money and someone said well…let’s do some noise and fireworks and that’ll take care of it. I really wanted to see that swamp and Prof. Flitwick saving a piece of it.
I’ve enjoyed Mr. Kloves screenplays of the other books and look forward to the final 3. Can’t wait to see the exchange with Snape and Dumbledore.

Posted by Garwen on May 03, 2009, 09:24 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

as long as they get most of the book in there it shouldnt be to bad!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on May 03, 2009, 10:57 PM report to moderator

Harry tried to argue back but his words were drowned by a long, loud belch from the Dursleys' son, Dudley.[br]"I want more bacon."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014