Tom Felton Talks Malfoy Manor and Draco's Family

Felton
April 03, 2009, 12:10 PM

There is a fun quote from actor Tom Felton today, regarding his role as Draco Malfoy and Malfoy Mansion. In the third part of an extensive interview with Feltbeats.com, as an aside during the portion focusing on his general career and music, Tom said the following:

FB: This is a bit of a side question for my personal interest, but I actually find it very interesting how much you are very different from Draco–

TF: Well, thank you!

FB: — but yet you relate to him so closely. You really identify with him. Sometimes you say “my house” when referring to Malfoy Manor and “my dad” when referring to Lucius. Maybe it is because you’ve been involved with Harry Potter for so long.

TF: Oh, sure, sure. Very much so. I won’t lie, I feel very proud and all the rest of it. And, I would never say this in front of Jo Rowling or anything like that, but I feel like he’s my character. Someone told me, “oh he

would be like this,” and I feel like saying, “No.”

That’s really the charm of the recent directors of Harry Potter, is that they ask you what Draco would do. They don’t tell you. They know you know him better than they do. So, I guess it is kind of strange. You’re right, I am nothing like him, but yet I feel very close to him. Occasionally, you know, I’ll catch sort of a Draco stare in the mirror, and I’ll think, “Oh yeah, now I remember that.”

FB: Oh, that’s funny!

TF: It’s a bit of a stone-eyed face, and I think, “Oh, that’s the one.”

You can also hear a rough version of new song from Tom Felton at the link, besides learning more about his new World War II film "Grace and Danger," as well as some new photos of the actor at the recent Empire Awards show in London.

Thanks so much Misha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Felton News

Copy_of_avatar_thumb

He’s so enthusiastic about his role…that’s awesome! :)

Posted by Professor Cassandra *~WBM~* on April 03, 2009, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

I love when actors, in any film really care about the material and there character. He doesn’t phone it in, he is going to give us the real deal for HBP and DH and that excites me. I can’t wait to see his other work as well.

Posted by GF_of_Seamus on April 03, 2009, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Yer he is so right about the actors knowing the roles better than he directors. And he is so great when portraying Draco! :D x

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It is awesome that he radiates such energy and passion about his role. Let us hope that he does the character justice in the next three films.

Posted by Kirk on April 03, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Menkit_thumb

Aw, it’s cute how Tom is so attached to his role :) It really speaks a lot about him. I wish all actors were like this!

Posted by Sarabi on April 03, 2009, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Bild_thumb

I am so looking forward to seeing Tom as Draco in HBP this summer
. the pics looks awsome, I´m sure he will be great.

Posted by ElinJ*ROAR* on April 03, 2009, 01:03 PM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

This is so sweet and of course he knows Draco best – he had to get into his head as a young kid… I’m also loving the whole… My dad, My house thing… excellent!!!

The more I hear from Tom the more I like him – and maybe warming to the ferret!!!!

Posted by JustSuperMione on April 03, 2009, 01:04 PM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

Between him, Matt Lewis, Evanna Lynch and Jason Issacs they really have some dedicated actors in these roles! I love it!

Posted by phantomdave79 on April 03, 2009, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Hp01_thumb

Tom Felton is amazing at playing Draco Malfoy (:

Posted by Frances Anne on April 03, 2009, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

I love Tom and I’ll have to check out his new movie. I can’t wait for HBP and DH!!!!!!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on April 03, 2009, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Download_thumb

its always nice to see an actor make a real connection with his character

Posted by Leander21[WBM] on April 03, 2009, 01:33 PM report to moderator

If only Michael Gambon and all the other adult actors would do their homework and read the books… maybe then they’d know their character and feel connected to him/her just as much as Tom Felton.

Posted by ginmo on April 03, 2009, 01:45 PM report to moderator
Dsc00162_thumb

I’m a casting director so I maybe pay more attention than most people to that sort of thing. How good Felton is in in the role — as well as how good ALL the HP actors are — is a testament to some really, really good casting. And I guess you have to give kudos — grudgingly — to Chris Columbus as well, for being smart enough to pick the right people in the first place.

Posted by dcrazmo {ROAR} on April 03, 2009, 01:57 PM report to moderator
Dsc00162_thumb

Everyone is always going on about Gambon and what a shame it is that he hasn’t read the books. Frankly, I doubt that if he DID read them, any of those who complain about him would like his characterization any more than they do. I think they’re just responding to the fact that they don’t think he’s right for the role. So why not just cut the guy some slack and say that?

Posted by dcrazmo {ROAR} on April 03, 2009, 02:00 PM report to moderator

I never liked Tom much, but I must admit he seems really funny.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on April 03, 2009, 02:38 PM report to moderator

"Looks even worse from here, doesn't it?" said Harry, watching the dog pulling Ron into the roots. "Ouch -- look, I just got walloped by the tree -- and so did you -- this is [i]weird[/i] --"