Rumor Alert: Bathilda Bagshot Casting for Deathly Hallows and More (Updated)

DH Film
April 03, 2009, 09:09 AM

Rumor Alert: More casting rumors today regarding the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

First up: UK character actress Hazel Douglas has reportedly been cast as Bathilda Bagshot, the author of "A History of Magic," longtime friend to Albus Dumbledore, and unwitting source to scandal monger Rita Skeeter. Readers will also recall of course the dramatic and terrifying scenes at Godric's Hollow involving Bathilda's errm being. You can see her photo here.  As with all of these reports, we must await official confirmation that will arrive when WB issues a formal announcement. Until then, a rumor this must remain, despite multiple solid sourcing which we at TLC believe to be accurate.

A second report arrived last night regarding the young actor Jamie Campbell BowerA columnist for the Daily Mail states that the actor (seen recently in Sweeney Todd)," is in final negotiations to portray Gellert Grindelwald  -  one of the most dangerous dark wizards of all time (in Harry Potter lore anyway), second only to Voldemort." You can see photos of Jamie here in our Image galleries. The report then continues to state that the early filming for the movie is focusing on parts involving the Trio, and further notes: "The trio have done several action sequences, and Daniel and Emma have been working with a choreographer for some big wedding scenes that will be shot in the summer." This would correspond of course to the wedding of Bill and Fleur, and working well with the reports TLC first told you regarding the casting of Bill Weasley, and the filming and building of the set for Shell Cottage in Wales.

UPDATE: TLC has been working independently to learn more this report of casting for young Grindlewald, and while multiple sources are unable to confirm this on the record at this time,TLC now believes this to be an accurate report.  Worth noting: Jamie Campbell Bower recently stated he has been cast in the Twilight sequel "New Moon," playing one of the Volturi Vampires, and there are multiple rumors abounding about his potential involvement in other giant blockbusters, even things such as Spidey the musical. As exciting as all of this seems, we caution that official confirmation on these and all of the other DH casting reports of late will not arrive until WB makes their formal announcement

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I love the thought of all these details being included in the films. I wonder if the memorial to the Potters will be included too.

Posted by budgie on April 03, 2009, 09:15 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Yes!!! We are getting the/a wedding!

Posted by Graymayne on April 03, 2009, 09:23 AM report to moderator
Copy_of_avatar_thumb

Interesting! Hazel Douglas doesn’t really look the way I pictured Bathilda, but oh well. I think it would be kinda funny if Jamie got the part, seeing as half the HP cast was already in Sweeney Todd. He’d be great as Grindlewald!

Posted by Professor Cassandra *~WBM~* on April 03, 2009, 09:26 AM report to moderator
P9170663_thumb

Hmm, now I’m wondering about that too. But if they’re gonna show Lily and James’ old house in the movie, maybe the memorial will be included. All these reports/rumors about the 7th movie when we haven’t seen the 6th makes me a bit sad. I feel like excitement for the movies are overlapping when I should be concentrating on just one! well just a thought…

Posted by leakylally on April 03, 2009, 09:27 AM report to moderator
Freddie7_thumb

Though I think Jamie would make a great young!Grindelwald I don’t think he will be cast. If only for his role in Twilight. And when I see Hazel I more think of Neville’s grandmother or Great Auntie Muriel than of Bathilda Bagshot. But that is my opinion.

Posted by Silvia aka Ninotsjka on April 03, 2009, 09:31 AM report to moderator
L_6128aae2dc5d4fb496dc31259248c4fb_thumb

Hmm. That will be odd if Jamie does get cast, then he will be in Twilight and HP. He’s perfect for the role though so I hope they give it to him

Posted by raychelMAY on April 03, 2009, 09:41 AM report to moderator
Dscn0756-1_thumb

Awesomeness! Hazel Douglas looks like a great Bathilda. I’ll hold off on an opition for Jamie until we know more…

Posted by Shane [WBM] on April 03, 2009, 09:51 AM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

Wow! For me, that picture up there of Ms. Douglas is VERY close to how I pictured Bathilda. Awesome. And Jamie Campbell looks like he would make a great Grindelwald. I love hearing all the other details too. Seeing as they are concentrating on the trio now I would imagine that the pictures we saw a while back were from the Silver Doe scene. And the wedding! WOO HOO! I was afraid that might not even be in!

Posted by phantomdave79 on April 03, 2009, 09:52 AM report to moderator
Twiwiz_thumb

The wedding! Yay! Funny that only Dan and Emma are working with the choreographer. Rupert’s dancing skillz—he must haz them already.

Posted by twiwizardjedi on April 03, 2009, 09:55 AM report to moderator
Wwhprocky_thumb

Hazel Douglas looks close to what I pictured for Bathilda. Jamie Campbell looks like he could pull off Grindelwald very well. It’s awesome to hear of the other items.

Posted by cryospear on April 03, 2009, 09:58 AM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

Bathilda looks greaat. but i can’t wrap my head around Jamie Campbell Bower ! sweeney todd is only my favorite movie of ALL TIME. this is really out of the blue for me..

Posted by DesQueJteVois on April 03, 2009, 10:03 AM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

you know. the old lady in Big Fish? the one Helena plays? with the eye patch? that’s how i saw Bathilda. minus the eye patch. Jamie looks nice for Grindelwald

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 03, 2009, 10:17 AM report to moderator
Dorkfinal_thumb

Whoa! Hazel Douglas is EXACTLY how I imagined Bathilda… I’m loving this casting news, Suze!

Posted by DumbleDork87 on April 03, 2009, 10:19 AM report to moderator
065_thumb

Interesting, I pictured her as a bit smaller and frail.

Posted by potterversefan on April 03, 2009, 10:21 AM report to moderator
Cartoonav_thumb

These rumoured castings seem perfect!

I’m a little confused about something though… by “working with a choreographer” do they mean dancing? Well, it’s either that or fighting, right? And if there’s dancing, surely it shouldn’t be Harry and Hermione, because a) Harry doesn’t look like himself at the wedding and b) Hermione dances with Ron. So it wouldn’t make sense; not if they’re going to follow what happens in the book.

Oh, wait…

Posted by latecomer on April 03, 2009, 10:25 AM report to moderator

"Righ' then," said Hagrid, who seemed to have lost his thread, "so -- so yeh've got yer books an' -- an' -- now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Yeah. So I'll go an' get 'em. Hang on..."[br]"God this place is going to the dogs," said Malfoy loudly. "That o