Composer Patrick Doyle Talks "Goblet of Fire" Score in New Interview

Doyle
Posted by: Edward
April 03, 2009, 09:20 PM

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire film composer Patrick Doyle has given an interview to InTheNews.co.uk in which he briefly discusses his work on the fourth Harry Potter film.  Sitting down to talk about the upcoming concert highlighting the many film scores performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, which will feature the "Harry In Winter" song, Mr. Doyle relates his involvement in scoring the fourth film.  Quoteage:

"My job [in Goblet of Fire] was to compose the music that complemented this new story with lots of fresh characters, including the Beauxbatons Girls, the Durmstrang Boys, Professor Moody and although he wasn't 'new' the rebirth of Voldemort.

"The movie also had the death of a principal character, which was quite cathartic. Harry and his friends were now quickly growing up and with their eyes on the opposite sex and this maturity was also reflected in the score.

"The emergence of these new characters and the emphasis on Voldemort conjured up many new thematic ideas. I also endeavoured to make the score in places much more British. The Hogwarts Hymn being an example of this. The love element concerning Harry and Cho inspired the 'Harry in Winter' piece which is featured in the concert tonight.

"This was a darker story and very much more grown-up than the previous narratives."
Mr. Doyle goes on to speak of the kind of feelings and emotions some works bring to his compositions, and more about his career in this interview.

London Symphony Orchestra: A Life In Film is set to take place at the Barbican Centre in London, England on Saturday, April 4th.  In addition to Mr. Doyle's Goblet of Fire score, the concert will feature scores from such films as Star Wars, The Queen, Braveheart, and Superman.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Doyle News

Tale_of_three_bros

Wish I could go to the concert!

Posted by Marauder (OM1C) on April 04, 2009, 10:02 AM report to moderator
Dsc00162_thumb

Really, really, really didn’t like this score, particularly after the melodic richness of John Williams. There were no themes in the GoF score, and there could have been, for the schools, for Cedric, for Voldemort. It was atmospheric at times, certainly, but that’s about it. In that sense it worked well in the film, but not as a listening experience at home. Much prefer Nicholas Hooper, but would love Williams to come back for DH.

Posted by dcrazmo {ROAR} on April 04, 2009, 10:11 AM report to moderator
4266_95379003085_554113085_2686657_2975125_n_thumb

Rocky3__140_x_142__thumb

What a great composer! His work on GoF was brilliant!

Posted by Sam H. on April 04, 2009, 10:58 AM report to moderator
Keep_calm_hrh2_thumb

I have to agree with dcrazmo! Doyle did do a good job in GOF and his music was really great for the movie, but, I do prefer Williams and I too hope he is brought back for DH.

Posted by tinagin [ROAR]! on April 04, 2009, 01:50 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I especially liked what Doyle did with the score for GOF even though I had some issues with the film itself. And after listening to this one, I started to realize that, as much as I like John Williams, all of his movie scores sound a lot alike. It was nice to get a fresh movie score and I wish that Patrick Doyle was still involved.

Posted by Eeyore on April 04, 2009, 04:22 PM report to moderator
21256_thumb

Wow that’s really cool, i think movie 4 had the best music

Posted by boywizard63*ROAR* on April 04, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator
21256_thumb

Wow that’s really cool, i think movie 4 had the best music

Posted by boywizard63*ROAR* on April 04, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Avatar_nerd_thumb

His music is amazing in GoF…

Posted by Imperiused! on April 04, 2009, 06:47 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

i don’t remember the GOF music at the moment, but this article is making me want to listen to it now… going to go look for it :D

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on April 04, 2009, 07:33 PM report to moderator

I had been hoping for Nicholas Hooper, but Patrick Doyle’s an excellent composer as well, so, nothing to complain about, really.

Posted by Lupa on April 05, 2009, 06:58 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I was watching Sense and Sensibility last night and the music throughout was beautifully done, didn’t realise until the credits rolled that it was a Patrick Doyle score, he really is very good. I agree somewhat with Eeyore that John Williams scores can sound rather alike, don’t get me wrong I do like his music but there are times when I could wish for something a little more subtle, sometimes music can be just a little bit too strong so that it may overwhelm rather than enhance. I think it is great to have several composers work on these films each can contribute something different.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on April 05, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Bab10_thumb

I think Doyle’s score for GOF is very appealing…I’ve really liked the music in the last three films. A really bland or irritating score can detract from my enjoyment of a movie, so I’m gratefull that all of the Harry Potter scores have been pretty good.

Posted by Old_gnarled_woman on April 05, 2009, 01:36 PM report to moderator
Snape_vs__sirius_normal_thumb

That’s wonderful—that a “Potter” sountrack should be featured in a London Symphony concert. What an honor for the composer…not to mention the film itself. I’m really fond of the GoF soundtrack, too, although I wish I could place some of these pieces that he’s refrencing…

Posted by Lunabelle7 on April 06, 2009, 06:19 PM report to moderator
Snape_vs__sirius_normal_thumb

Particularly the “Hogwarts Hymn.” I bet I would know it if I heard it, though

Posted by Lunabelle7 on April 06, 2009, 06:21 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

It would be great to hear live.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on April 07, 2009, 01:12 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

[i]"There were a lot of attacks on students a couple of years ago, and most people thought that Potter was behind them after they saw him lose his temper at a dueling club and set a snake on another boy. It was all hushed up, though. But he's made friends