Composer Patrick Doyle Talks "Goblet of Fire" Score in New Interview

Doyle
Posted by: Edward
April 03, 2009, 09:20 PM

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire film composer Patrick Doyle has given an interview to InTheNews.co.uk in which he briefly discusses his work on the fourth Harry Potter film.  Sitting down to talk about the upcoming concert highlighting the many film scores performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, which will feature the "Harry In Winter" song, Mr. Doyle relates his involvement in scoring the fourth film.  Quoteage:

"My job [in Goblet of Fire] was to compose the music that complemented this new story with lots of fresh characters, including the Beauxbatons Girls, the Durmstrang Boys, Professor Moody and although he wasn't 'new' the rebirth of Voldemort.

"The movie also had the death of a principal character, which was quite cathartic. Harry and his friends were now quickly growing up and with their eyes on the opposite sex and this maturity was also reflected in the score.

"The emergence of these new characters and the emphasis on Voldemort conjured up many new thematic ideas. I also endeavoured to make the score in places much more British. The Hogwarts Hymn being an example of this. The love element concerning Harry and Cho inspired the 'Harry in Winter' piece which is featured in the concert tonight.

"This was a darker story and very much more grown-up than the previous narratives."
Mr. Doyle goes on to speak of the kind of feelings and emotions some works bring to his compositions, and more about his career in this interview.

London Symphony Orchestra: A Life In Film is set to take place at the Barbican Centre in London, England on Saturday, April 4th.  In addition to Mr. Doyle's Goblet of Fire score, the concert will feature scores from such films as Star Wars, The Queen, Braveheart, and Superman.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Doyle News

King_s-cross-station---harr_thumb

Ah I love Patrick Doyle’s score for GoF! “Harry in Winter” is one of my favorites, and it’s overall an awesome soundtrack; definitely my favorite so far.

Posted by Arka on April 03, 2009, 09:28 PM report to moderator
Angiebumliac_hpdh_021_thumb

I swear this was posted before….

Posted by mollywobbles23 on April 03, 2009, 09:41 PM report to moderator
Tale_of_three_bros

“Harry in Winter” is absolutely amazing! So emotional, I love it!
And “The Death of Cedric” brings me close to tears every time!

Posted by Marauder (OM1C) on April 03, 2009, 09:55 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I wish I could hear Harry in Winter conducted live! That track is one of my favorites on the soundtrack and it moves me with its emotional transcendence no matter how many times I watch it.

Posted by Kirk on April 03, 2009, 10:17 PM report to moderator
Wwhprocky_thumb

What a great composer! His work on GoF was brilliant!

Posted by cryospear on April 03, 2009, 10:43 PM report to moderator

When we think about it.it is amazing that there are still people that can compose for Movies and make them into something that will endure for a long time. My best to Patrick Doyle.

Posted by HGROSS44 on April 03, 2009, 11:44 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

i like his score for GoF, especially “Harry in Winter”

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 03, 2009, 11:46 PM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

I loved his score for GOF. As great as John Williams is, and I do hope he is back for DH, I really like who they got for GOF and OOTP.

Posted by phantomdave79 on April 04, 2009, 12:59 AM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

I love “Harry in Winter”! So beautiful.

Posted by maera-kyrie on April 04, 2009, 01:02 AM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

I really like Doyle’s score – it’s so on target emotionally for the tone of the film.

Posted by Agrippa1 on April 04, 2009, 01:11 AM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

This sounds like an amazing concert… he’s so talented and I love the fact that Harry’s waltz was completely improved!!!

Posted by JustSuperMione on April 04, 2009, 03:23 AM report to moderator

I love his music, especially the songs he made for HP.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on April 04, 2009, 05:47 AM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

i love death of cedric it is so beautiful

Posted by bec majec *roar* on April 04, 2009, 07:16 AM report to moderator
Iconator_dea697cd87becd1283213b46f798b87b_thumb

He really is a great composer. Harry In Winter is so beautiful! I wish I could hear it live…

Posted by Wendelin the Weird on April 04, 2009, 09:04 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

The GoF soundtrack is really great, it’s one of my favorites!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on April 04, 2009, 10:00 AM report to moderator

"'Course Dumbledore trusts you," growled Moody. "He's a trusting man, isn't he? Believes in second chances. But me -- I say there are spots that don't come off, Snape. Spots that never come off, d'you know what I mean?"