Emma Watson on "Mean Girl" Lavender Brown for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

HBP Film
April 29, 2009, 09:51 AM

They say the path to true love is never an easy one, as evident in the case of Ron and Hermione in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Actress Emma Watson weighs in on this fact, as she describes in a new interview with Wizard Universe, the actions of the character of "mean girl" Lavender Brown (played in the film by Jessie Cave). Quotage:

"There's this mean girl called Lavender who has a bit of a crush on Ron. It's leaked in the beginning of the film that Hermione and Ron are finally going to get it together, and then she steps in. Hermione is sensitive and quite mean, really. And it's very much about how she sort of despises Lavender. Not really because she's taken Ron away, but because she's kind of the opposite of Hermione. So it's very comic and also quite sad for her. It's very Ron based, her part.

Emma Watson goes on to note that she remains a fan of the books, having "read each of them three or four times." The actress also gives high praise to fellow actor Rupert Grint for his performance in Half-Blood Prince, echoing earlier sentiments from actor Dan Radcliffe on the humor found in Ron's Quidditch scenes. She also reflects on the aftermath of the events on the Astronomy Tower.

"What really stuck out for me was Ron's Quidditch scene. It was so funny. Rupert's comic timing is just brilliant and he's so funny. There's this great scene where Hermione and Lavender are fighting over Ron, and we had a bit of fun with that.  With Dumbledore's death scene it was absolutely freezing that night, and it was a very sad scene, really."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

Interesting story…. makes me more anxious for the movie to come out!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on April 29, 2009, 02:01 PM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Nice interview.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on April 29, 2009, 02:27 PM report to moderator
Myleaky_avie_2_thumb

“I’ve read each of them three or four times.” I knew that already, but I love to hear it. :) Go Emma!
Oh, I’m getting so excited!!!

Posted by Hermionegirl on April 29, 2009, 02:42 PM report to moderator
Gftw_thumb

This film has to be good. or i may cry ;-)

Posted by iconshero [GftW] on April 29, 2009, 02:50 PM report to moderator
Ron_and_hermione2_thumb

i can’t wait for this film ahhhhhh.
the fight sounds inteeresting, should be funny to see haha

Posted by sunshine123ROAR on April 29, 2009, 02:57 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

I love the interview! It makes me want to see this movie even more! I can’t wait!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on April 29, 2009, 03:12 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

great! short but great interview

1980 Points

preety cool

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on April 29, 2009, 03:59 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

Good interview!

Posted by budgie on April 29, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Patronus_part_2_004_thumb

i’m so excited for this movie. I wish we could have seen it already! And even though it won’t be 100% true to the book, I’m excited to see this adaptation of it.

Posted by skiving snackboxes on April 29, 2009, 04:27 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Aw, even Emma thinks Rupert’s quidditch scene is funny! Man, where is July?!?!!? It needs to come NOW!

Posted by Christine on April 29, 2009, 04:53 PM report to moderator
Fish_02_thumb

I cant wait to see the quidditch scene. we havent had quidditch in a while. :D

Posted by Gobbledygook [Sparrow] [WBM] J.O.R. on April 29, 2009, 04:54 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

This movie is going to make me cry and I don’t cry much in movies…
Dumbledore’s just gonna break me I think.

But on happier side.. I can’t wait to see Rupe and Dan!
This movie’ll be hilarious, that I’ll bet! Rupert’s my favorite actor and he’s funnier than funnyfunny.

The Hermione/Lavender scene has to be… I don’t know the word… maybe it’s amazing? Nah. It’s gonna be POTTAMAZINGG.

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on April 29, 2009, 04:54 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

thats great :D so true. can;t wait!

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on April 29, 2009, 04:58 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

Woah… The quidditch scene must be really funny if both Dan and Emma like it so much!!

78 days!! I don’t think I can wait any longer! :9

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on April 29, 2009, 05:18 PM report to moderator

"What're you doing here, Sirius?" [Harry] said.[br]"Fulfilling my duty as godfather," said Sirius, gnawing on the chicken bone in a very doglike way. "Don't worry about it, I'm pretending to be a lovable stray."