New Details from Harry Potter, the Exhibit

Movies
April 27, 2009, 10:52 AM

Previews are now underway for Harry Potter, the Exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. Following on our reports from over the weekend, TLC reader Michael was able to get an early tour yesterday, and sent in some new delightful details of the props and set pieces used in the Harry Potter films fans attending the exhibit can expect to see.

A video montage of the first five Harry Potter films starts things off, with the images "concluding with it looking like the Hogwarts Express entering the station into Hogsmeade. A side wall then opened up "to reveal the scarlet stream engine." You entered into Gryffindor Tower with an animated paintings of The Fat Lady "attempting to break the glass with her voice (very cool!)." Fans will be able to see things such as the Marauders Map "Hermione's wand, time-turner and planner and the members list of Dumbledore's Army," as well as Neville's Mimbulus Mimbletonia.

Michael continues: "There was a section devoted to Defense Against the Dark Arts where we see Gilderoy Lockhart's complete published works and the portrait of him painting himself. The is also a life-sized "freshly caught" Cornish Pixie. For Professor Lupin we see the Boggart Wardrobe and a full-sized Jack in the Box. There is also the records of the PotterCast drums on display. Professor Umbridge is represented by a wholly pink display, complete with kitten plates, pink kitten stationary, and dangerous detention quill. Harry's parchment with "I will not tell lies" is sitting right on the table."

"Later, we enter the area devoted to dark magic. We see Voldemort's robes from GoF. They are actually green! We see Draco and Lucius Malfoy's attire from GoF. That includes Lucius's snake-headed staff with
emerald eyes. Other metallic snakes adorn his robes and shirt.  There is a full-scale dementor and I found it interesting that the "tail" of the dementor is visible beneath the cloak and it looks like an exposed spine trailing into the tail. Further down is the Prisoner of Azkaban outfit worn by Belletrix Lestrange and right nex to them is Kreacher looking as grumpy as ever. The Angel of Death statue from the graveyard scene is included in the exhibit."

"There are also Ministry missives including the paper airplanes and the Wizard version of Cliff's Notes. It is a study aid for the O.W.L.s.: How to Soar on Your OWLs! The Interdepartmental memos include an 'M' across the fold along the top and is sealed with a Ministry of Magic emblem (sticker.) They are printed on purple paper.  There is also candy from from Honeyduke's and also the Weasley Twin's Skiving Snackboxes."

"We move from there (Greenhouse) into the Quidditch area and the first thing we see is the crate from The Sorcerer's Stone containing the four balls. There is also the Nimbus 2000 and 2001 (Sorry, no Firebolt!) There are many sets of Quidditch including Victor Krum's from the World Cup. We see Ron' robes from the upcoming Half-blood Prince film. You also get to test your skills with a Quaffle (I only missed one!) We also see robes for Draco Malfoy, Oliver Wood, and Cedric Diggory."

Finally, PotterCast listeners may also recognize Michael as not only one of the editors on the show, but also as the voice of Hagrid for our Acting Troupe and Co-host of the Harry Potter filk podcast Filkcast:Potter Style. It is with delight he writes the following: "...we see Buckbeak the Hippogriff next to Hagrid's pumpkin patch. And this brings us to Hagrid's Hut. Inside is the actual table and chair seen in the Sorcerer's Stone and on top is a shaking, rattling dragon egg (which presumably contains Norbert.) There is a large Hagrid-sized armchair for you to try out and we see Hagrid's full attire. I am 6 foot 3 and the shoulders are a foot above my head. Too cool! We also see a few copies of The Monster Book of Monsters (there actually octopus suckers on the little tendrils), the lantern used to enter the dark forest and his pink umbrella wand! All in all, "it was amazing to see Harry's clothes from SS (He was so small, then) and all the various wands. My favorite items included seeing the Grim teacup and the Marauder's map, oh, and Rita Skeeter's acid green quill."

A press preview is also being held this week for all the fansites including TLC, and we will have much more then, stay tuned! Thanks so much Michael!

Harry Potter, the Exhibit opens April 30 and runs until September 27, 2009. For more ticket info, hours and more, please click here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Copy_of_avatar_thumb

WOW I wish I could go!

Posted by Professor Cassandra *~WBM~* on April 27, 2009, 10:58 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_thumb

I definitely have to go now!

Posted by bmg057 on April 27, 2009, 10:58 AM report to moderator

I’ll make sure that I take a detour on my way to the all star game this summer.

Posted by BMcFly1 on April 27, 2009, 11:15 AM report to moderator

Holy Mimbulus Mimbletonia, I am so excited for Harry Potter the Exhibition!! It’s going to be amazing!!!

Posted by useyourmind on April 27, 2009, 11:30 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

OMG – this sounds sooooooooooo awesomely, amazingly, brilliantly fantastic that I can’t put it into words!! :) :) I just went on that website and it says more dates coming soon. What I REALLY, REALLY want to know is if it’s going to come to the UK. Because I really wish I could go!! :(

IF ANYBODY KNOWS IF IT’S COMING TO THE UK CAN THEY PLEASE, PLEASE PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE OWL ME!!!!!!

(Please – as you can see I am TOTALLY DESPERATE!!) 8~D

40320resize_thumb

Please please please come to Boston! This would be amazing to see in person!

Posted by Athena ★ROAR!★ on April 27, 2009, 11:58 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Wow. It sounds as though it is going to be immersive, will truly and authentically transport you into the universe of Harry Potter. I am unbelievably excited that I will be able to visit it with my family this summer!

Posted by Kirk on April 27, 2009, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

Ohh very cool! It sounds brilliant!

Posted by maera-kyrie on April 27, 2009, 12:17 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I am so excited for this. I can’t wait to go!

Posted by on April 27, 2009, 12:18 PM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

Sounds like they have done this up right! Hope the exhibit tours around some.

Posted by Lillylove on April 27, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_thumb

Wow! I NEED to go to this!! I live, like, two hours away from Chicago!!

Posted by tubaturtle on April 27, 2009, 12:26 PM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Gah! Again, and again, and again. I wish I could go! weeps

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on April 27, 2009, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_cropped_thumb

I HAVE to go to this!! I can not pass up this opportunity!

Posted by Wendy McCoury on April 27, 2009, 12:53 PM report to moderator
Dsc00592_thumb

Ah! I can’t wait until this opens on Thursday!

Posted by Fuchsia [ROAR!] on April 27, 2009, 12:53 PM report to moderator
Avatars_tagline_novdec_006_thumb

Gosh; Jelous
I wish this sort of thing would happen in my city!
x

Posted by emperessemma on April 27, 2009, 01:10 PM report to moderator

Four fully grown, enormous, vicious-looking dragons were rearing onto their hind legs inside an enclosure fenced with thick planks of wood, roaring and snorting -- torrents of fire were shooting into the dark sky from their open, fanged mouths, fifty feet