USA TODAY: Burrow Attack Scene in Half-Blood Prince a Standout Scene

HBP Film
April 24, 2009, 10:34 PM

We've known for many months now, even witnessed footage seen in the newest trailer, that there is to be an attack on the Burrow included in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In their guide to Summer movies, the USA Today has a very brief preview of the film, and notes the events at the Burrow are a "Standout Scene." While this preview is only a few sentences long, it does contain a cool new detail and slight description of the attack:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (July 17)
Warner Bros.

The principals (Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint) return for the sixth installment, as Lord Voldemort's threat hangs heavier over Hogwarts as Dumbledore prepares Harry for the final battle with his ultimate foe. Meanwhile, adolescent hormones run wild through the corridors of the academy.

Standout scene: While visiting Harry and the Weasleys, part-werewolf Lupin (David Thewlis) catches a strange scent outdoors. Soon huge snake-like flames slither toward the house as Death Eater Bellatrix Lestrange (Helena Bonham Carter) appears and leads Harry into the marshes while fire begins to consume the porch and walls.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

006-2_thumb

I am annoyed at all the attention brought to this scene; why do they even call it a “standout” scene? I don’t especially care for the fact that it’s a new scene, but they’ve been talking about it so much that I feel I’ll be like “oh okay, this is the new scene” and then “oh okay, back to the original storyline now” when watching the film. :( I’d rather see them make as though it’s always been part of the story than putting so much emphasis on it.
Also, I don’t have anything against a new scene per say, to show how everyone is threatened and to make us familiar with the new villains, but making the whole Burrow burn down? Seems a bit much.
Oh, and I’m just glad Lupin’s lost the moustache and gets some lines.

Posted by Germain on April 25, 2009, 06:35 PM report to moderator
Tamy_129_thumb

Quite honestly I got pissed when I heard about the attack on the Burrow bc it is not in the book and I think that instead of putting things that are not in the book they could try to cut less. I really hope that scene makes a difference and fits in with the plot. The books are perfect, they dont nedd adds. What they should do in the movies is not to cut so many important scenes and characters.

Posted by Tamyris on April 25, 2009, 07:19 PM report to moderator
Witch_hat_thumb

The standout scene is one that isn’t from the book? I highly doubt that.

Posted by *H*ROAR Mudblood Proud on April 25, 2009, 07:21 PM report to moderator
Tamy_129_thumb

And I agree with you Germain! They put so many emphasis on that scene that in the end we might get disappointed. Why burn all the Burrow, for God sake! What an overreaction! I still think it is going to be a hell of a movie bc the book is one of the best of the series, but thats not saying anything bc the OOTP was also a great book and the film was only OK.

Posted by Tamyris on April 25, 2009, 07:25 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

It’ll be interesting to see… I’m reserving judgment!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on April 25, 2009, 07:42 PM report to moderator
Jonas_thumb

COOLNESS!!!!

Posted by NargleCatcher on April 25, 2009, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Mini02px6_thumb

82 days til we can see this scene for sure :D and has this been updated since HBP was moved to july 15th? :O

Posted by Katie Skatie Potatie on April 26, 2009, 12:23 AM report to moderator
Photo_24_thumb

I don’t mind if they take liberties as long as they: (1) stay true to the spirit of the books; and (2) create an atmosphere that serves the film they’re making. Book to screen adaptations can never be 100% faithful. It’s like translating poetry: you’ve got to switch it up a bit. They key is to preserve the tone, feeling, and essence of the book. We shouldn’t keep a laundry list of omissions. The films are the films and the books are the books. The first two films were, imo, too literal. The atmospherics of the subsequent films were much truer to the spirit of the books, whatever details were left out.

I can’t wait to see this film!

Posted by LupinAscending [WBM] on April 26, 2009, 12:26 AM report to moderator
Fish_02_thumb

i this scene will be amazing! visually and emotionally because the burrow is a home. Much different if the ministry is attacked a home is personal, safe. When they destroy the burrow that saftey is compromised.

Posted by Gobbledygook [Sparrow] [WBM] J.O.R. on April 26, 2009, 02:38 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Sounds exciting :D

I CANNOT WAIT!!!! SQUEEEEEEE!

Dhonesheet_thumb

This sounds so cool!!!!! I can’t wait to see this movie!! It needs to come out NOW!! :D

Posted by cghambright on April 26, 2009, 09:56 AM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I don’t think Half Blood Prince is supposed to be on that list…I think it does qualify as HIGH ACTION, especially compared to the other movies on that list.

Posted by cghambright on April 26, 2009, 10:04 AM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

‘the academy’? Lol, never thought of Hogwarts like that before.

Still confused on the scene but I know it will definitely be fantamazing ;].

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on April 26, 2009, 11:17 AM report to moderator
L_14a5217ad3d6474c94123a84eb762af8_thumb

I have to say that I am really excited about the Burrow scene. It sounds like it is very well done and as true to the book as it can be.

Posted by lilhpchick20 on April 26, 2009, 11:30 AM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

Wait ..What!? In the book there is no scene where the Burrow is on fire .
I mean i know there trying to make it exciting and every thing but come on! I
think there straying a little far from the book .Don’t you ?
And i thouht Remus was ALL werewolf not part??

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on April 26, 2009, 12:37 PM report to moderator

"GET -- HIM -- OUT -- OF -- HERE!" Ron bellowed... Ron seized Scabbers by the tail and aimed a misjudged kick at Crookshanks that hit the trunk at the end of Harry's bed, knocking it over and causing Ron to hop up and down, howling in pain.