ABC to Broadcast A Year in the Life Documentary on JK Rowling July 16th

J.K. Rowling
April 24, 2009, 03:53 PM

The ABC Television Network has announced will be broadcasting the special "A Year in the Life" documentary on Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling this summer. The network will be airing the documentary on Thursday, July 16 from 8-9pm (ET) the weekend of the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. While this documentary by James Runcie has been broadcast previously in the UK and elsewhere, this will mark the first time US audience will be able to watch the program, which takes a close look at our favorite author as she completes Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in 2007. Readers will recall of course, that as part of the documentary we see additional family tree and spouse names for characters such as Luna Lovegood and Draco Malfoy.

The ABC write up on the program is as follows:

The woman who created an imaginary world for millions, J.K. Rowling, allowed cameras extraordinary access during the year before the 7th Harry Potter book was published. From the one bedroom apartment in Scotland where it all began to a hotel room where viewers watch her type the last words of the Potter saga, Rowling lets millions of fans into her world. The documentary exposes her childhood sorrows, visits the church where she and her sister worked after-school as janitors, and allows people to see her, now, as both the queen of a magical, alternate universe, and an everyday mom. Cameras also travel back to her hometown and discover where many of the characters of Harry Potter originated. Upon the release of the latest Harry Potter movie, Elizabeth Vargas takes viewers on a journey into the life of the woman who came from "nothing" and created all of her own success.

Also as a reminder of what we reported previously, the network is continuing their Saturday night TV broadcasts of the Harry Potter films, with Chamber of Secrets due this Saturday night, followed by Prisoner of Azkaban on May 2nd, and Goblet of Fire on May 16.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Ravenclaw_thumb

GO RAVENCLAW!!!

Posted by BlackCat13 on April 25, 2009, 10:44 AM report to moderator
Becky_thumb

Ooh, I’m looking forward to it!

Posted by The Silver Doe on April 25, 2009, 11:47 AM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

this is great news! I wanted to see this so bad when i first heard about it but living in the states I couldn’t see it. Now I get my chance! Awesome!

Posted by phantomdave79 on April 25, 2009, 01:58 PM report to moderator
Zzz_thumb

Yes! I am not going to miss that one!

Posted by mOOn-stArs-sUn [WBM] on April 25, 2009, 03:29 PM report to moderator
N1081704126_19359_1414_thumb

I need to record it and put it on DVD…unless they will sell it with more information on DVD…then I’ll buy that…I have a bad shopping problem when it comes to Harry Potter…as if I’m alone here. :o)

Posted by Runwild101 (Robby) on April 26, 2009, 12:01 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

I watched this when it first came out in England. And still have it recored on my skyplus planner!! I always watch it, it is soooo awesome! :) I can’t believe it is only just coming out in America. If you haven’t seen it you’ll really enjoy it. :D

Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

I was watching the video and I take it that it is a definite ‘No’ for an 8th book.
All I’ve got to say about that. She said it herself.

Can’t wait for the documentary though!
GAH! I missed Saturday’s movie!

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on April 26, 2009, 11:24 AM report to moderator
L_14a5217ad3d6474c94123a84eb762af8_thumb

This is one of the things that I wanted to see but never thought I would.

Thank You ABC!!!

Posted by lilhpchick20 on April 26, 2009, 11:27 AM report to moderator
Css_115_thumb

Yay! We’ll finally be able to see this on TV here!

Posted by AleraofRavenclaw on April 26, 2009, 01:32 PM report to moderator
1204091927_thumb

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D I can FINALLY watch it ! <33 excitement

Posted by Heroine Luna on April 26, 2009, 01:50 PM report to moderator

Did anyone one else cringe when they watched CoS last night? ABC cut Harry’s floo powder scene, the following scene in which Lucius is selling his goodies, next scene with Hagrid rescuing Harry, and the following scene with Hermione meeting up with Harry and Hagrid. After that I couldn’t watch anymore. I wish I were keeping a ratings diary again. If the editors at ABC ever lose their jobs there, they could easily take up butchering.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on April 26, 2009, 02:05 PM report to moderator
Evanna2_thumb

WOOOHOOO! :D
awesome cant wait! its kinda complicated time with the movie but i must see!
:D

Posted by tonksgirl *ROAR* on April 26, 2009, 02:34 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

This is excellent news — but OMG it took forevah! For those who have watched it online — where did you find it? Quite curious.

Snape_vs__sirius_normal_thumb

I’m so glad that they’re airing it here! I was bummed when I realized that us U.S. fans wouldn’t be able to see it, and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one. Besides, new character information? That’s always fun…and you have to love the date they chose, too. It’ll be a weekend of Potter.

Posted by Lunabelle7 on April 27, 2009, 12:00 AM report to moderator
Fish_02_thumb

I loved that documentary. Somehow i got to see it and it was beautifully made. :)

Posted by Gobbledygook [Sparrow] [WBM] J.O.R. on April 27, 2009, 02:53 AM report to moderator

"I don't think anyone should ride that broom just yet!" said Hermione.[br]Harry and Ron looked at her.[br]"What d'you think Harry's going to do with it -- sweep the floor?" said Ron.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014