ABC to Broadcast A Year in the Life Documentary on JK Rowling July 16th

J.K. Rowling
April 24, 2009, 03:53 PM

The ABC Television Network has announced will be broadcasting the special "A Year in the Life" documentary on Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling this summer. The network will be airing the documentary on Thursday, July 16 from 8-9pm (ET) the weekend of the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. While this documentary by James Runcie has been broadcast previously in the UK and elsewhere, this will mark the first time US audience will be able to watch the program, which takes a close look at our favorite author as she completes Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in 2007. Readers will recall of course, that as part of the documentary we see additional family tree and spouse names for characters such as Luna Lovegood and Draco Malfoy.

The ABC write up on the program is as follows:

The woman who created an imaginary world for millions, J.K. Rowling, allowed cameras extraordinary access during the year before the 7th Harry Potter book was published. From the one bedroom apartment in Scotland where it all began to a hotel room where viewers watch her type the last words of the Potter saga, Rowling lets millions of fans into her world. The documentary exposes her childhood sorrows, visits the church where she and her sister worked after-school as janitors, and allows people to see her, now, as both the queen of a magical, alternate universe, and an everyday mom. Cameras also travel back to her hometown and discover where many of the characters of Harry Potter originated. Upon the release of the latest Harry Potter movie, Elizabeth Vargas takes viewers on a journey into the life of the woman who came from "nothing" and created all of her own success.

Also as a reminder of what we reported previously, the network is continuing their Saturday night TV broadcasts of the Harry Potter films, with Chamber of Secrets due this Saturday night, followed by Prisoner of Azkaban on May 2nd, and Goblet of Fire on May 16.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Mariah_graduation_-_port_thumb

OMG. July 16 is my birthday. This is a cool present for me and all other American HP fans. We are less than 12 weeks away from a great time.

Posted by Mariah Lovegood on April 24, 2009, 05:39 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

I can’t wait to see it! YAY! :)

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on April 24, 2009, 05:48 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

Yay! I’m so excited!! I’ve already seen it on youtube and it’s AMAZING! It really gives you a great insight into JKR’s life and who she really is (she’s awesome!). It seriously made me love her more than I already did! And the part when she finishes the book gives me chills…you can really tell that she has no idea what to feel because it’s such an emotional moment. I just loved it and I seriously want to OWN it. They need to release it on dvd! :D

Posted by cghambright on April 24, 2009, 05:48 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

I haven’t seen it yet. Shame on me. Hope to see it this time!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on April 24, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator

Well, what a coincidence.

My family and I just watched the documentary again.

It is without a doubt, the best television documentary made about Jo. It so helps to have someone she trusts and likes involved in the making. The radio shows she does with her buddy Stephen Fry, are also at this same very, very high level.

That last part where she goes back to the flat where she wrote her first book and says – "This is where I finished Philiospher’s Stone just here " and then she starts crying -and crying !!!!

Gosh – you would have to be a hard person not to want to give her a hug.

Posted by Beazle on April 24, 2009, 05:50 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

can’t wait to see it!

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on April 24, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator

It’s about time!!!. lol.. wow a documentary on JKR and the release of a new movie?? that is going to be an exciting week for sure !

Posted by TheGoldenSeeker on April 24, 2009, 06:20 PM report to moderator
Iconator_04e9497c4d2be426fe2888b16a16f53d_thumb

oh i can’t wait to see this!!!

Posted by RaWr...WeReWoLf on April 24, 2009, 06:33 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

hooray!! way neat

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 24, 2009, 06:34 PM report to moderator
Fef_efe_thumb

Sadly enough, I have not watched this yet. But I/m excited that ABC is airing it. Going to Tivo it.

Posted by DilltheMuggle on April 24, 2009, 07:00 PM report to moderator
Ss_chp11_thumb

This is cool can’t wait to watch it!

Posted by sgarime1 on April 24, 2009, 07:17 PM report to moderator
Avatars_bookauthor_bookart_dec_008_thumb

Yes! Finally! I thought it would never air here in the US.

Posted by Gueniveree on April 24, 2009, 07:28 PM report to moderator

I can’t wait to watch this! I’ve tried looking it up on YouTube, but could never find it. I want to watch it so bad!

Posted by on April 24, 2009, 08:02 PM report to moderator
Gh_thumb

Can’t wait! I’ve watched it a million times online, but it will be neat to watch it on tv, with hopefully, fairly good resolution.

Posted by Name Unknown on April 24, 2009, 08:12 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

Yay! I can’t wait for that! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on April 24, 2009, 08:17 PM report to moderator

"Well, if you two are going to chicken out, fine... [i]I[/i] don't want to break rules, you know. [i]I[/i] think threatening Muggle-borns is far worse than brewing up a difficult potion. But if you don't want to find out if it's Malfoy, I'll go straight t