Dan Radcliffe on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One: "A Road Movie"

DH Film
April 23, 2009, 10:45 AM

With press coverage beginning in earnest of late, WB has sent over the latest images from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince contained in last week's Entertainment Weekly: Dumbledore and Harry on the Tower, Dumbledore and Harry at the Pensieve.  HBP Set Previews galore are also set to be released, more on that soon!

In the meantime, as reported earlier this week regarding the potential split of the movies, a new preview of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is contained in the special 20th Anniversary edition of Empire Magazine. Scans are now available here in our galleries thanks to our Order Partners Rupert Grint.net and DanRadcliffe.com where you can see a fantastic new photo of the Trio of Dan Radclffe (Harry), Emma Watson (Hermione) and Rupert Grint (Ron) (a small version of this is also on the cover of the magazine).

The article contains a new interview with Producer David Heyman, and actor Dan Radcliffe where they discuss filming of both movies that is currently underway. Mr. Heyman notes they are still finalising the script for Part Two, finishing up casting and working out the remaining filming schedule. At the time of the interview, Dan Radcliffe noted that he had just been filming "a big fight scene and it's great. I'm covered in dust and blood, but it's brilliant. I just get to be a boy and run around!"

Good news for fans comes from David Heyman when discussing things cut from the plot, given they are making the book into two films, as he noted "...in the end I think they'll be less edited from this film than films past because we have the freedom of making two films and I think it's going to be fantastic." Dan Radcliffe continues: "This is a road movie, particularly in Part One of the film. People have been so used to seeing Harry Potter at Hogwarts and we're just not there for the first part of the film. That seems to have really freshened things up, and hopefully will get people seeing the films with fresh eyes again, because its just a totally different look when you're not just sat in the same room the whole time. Heyman added: "They're be a lot of action, a lot of adventure, and it'll be an ending very true to the books that Jo's (Rowling) written, so if you read the books you'll really have a good sense of what's going to happen."

Dan also says in addition to filming the epilogue, " I think for me, that's intimidating is going to be the walk at the end to meet Voldemort in the forest. That's going to be really tough, but I can't wait."

This issue of Empire Magazine is on newsstands starting today. Thanks so much to Lauren, RupertGrint.net and DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Ravenclaw_thumb

Oh my gosh, I cannot wait to see Harry vs. Voldemort!!!! :D

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on April 23, 2009, 04:07 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I just want to know where they’ll split because that gets in the way of me daydreaming about watching the movie. Lol. Because I don’t know if it’ll end at Xeno’s, or at The Silver Doe, or whatever.

Posted by Christine on April 23, 2009, 04:15 PM report to moderator
1-5_thumb

I don’t know how long I can wait, road movie or not.

Posted by JessLovesRon on April 23, 2009, 04:28 PM report to moderator
1-5_thumb

I don’t know how long I can wait, road movie or not.

Posted by JessLovesRon on April 23, 2009, 04:28 PM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

Very exciting stuff. I like the reference to a road movie. It really felt like that to me; more about the journey than the destination, learning and growing as they travelled.

Posted by ScottMan on April 23, 2009, 04:39 PM report to moderator
36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

Awesome!

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on April 23, 2009, 04:54 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

Love the scan of Rupe and Em!

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on April 23, 2009, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Wgwg2_thumb
2064 Points

Dan is so amazing, his approach to the films is so great! I love the scans too!

Posted by hp29 [ROAR!] on April 23, 2009, 05:07 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

Ugh… I still can’t believe they’re making this book of last-minute FILLER into two films. Just because there are many pages doesn’t mean all those pages are useful. It’s unbelievable to me. Sorry, but that’s my honest opinion. It’s the same issue with book five, which is why it was a smart decision back then not to split the story into two movies. Virtually NOTHING in those 870 (save maybe three or four very small mentions of things) ever came back to serve a purpose in the overall narrative. Those who claim that the book needed to be there for character should realize that a skilled author never gives anything just one purpose. Two of the longest books in this series are essentially about nothing, while one of the shortest books (POA) is easily the best and most clever of the series, actually benefitting from being so tight and expertly paced. The strength of POA is that all the subplots serve a purpose. OOTP’s and DH’s do not.

Sigh I just wish DH had never been released. It was so much better not knowing.

As for Dan’s approach to the films – why shouldn’t he understand the films he’s making? Hundreds of actors do this; it’s their job. It’s not like he’s doing anything new here, but…anyway, it’s good that he’s not conceited. And he’s definitely grown as an actor throughout the creation of these films.

Posted by starlesswinter on April 23, 2009, 05:47 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Yay, oh yay, oh yay!!! I love all this news about the movies!!! (Can’t believe we are already hearing about DH when we are still waiting for HBP — wheels are turning!)

Radcliffe_articles_2011gq_0005_thumb

oh. i am going to cry with the epilogue part and the forest part and when dobby dies :(
i can’t wait! for DH!! :)

Posted by fan.numero1 [SFTC!] on April 23, 2009, 09:15 PM report to moderator

I can’t WAIT!!!

Posted by on April 23, 2009, 09:40 PM report to moderator
5908_12290828084_thumb

ya superb no more editing amzing news

Posted by hbp will be betterthan tdk on April 23, 2009, 11:26 PM report to moderator
Iconator_1219385d1bc508ea565d4c902a6f052d_thumb

Ok I am bouncing now!

Posted by Kara000 ~ROAR~ on April 23, 2009, 11:26 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

excited to see the scene in gringotts

Posted by alegria35 on April 24, 2009, 04:02 AM report to moderator

"You won't?" said Voldemort quietly, and the Death Eaters were not laughing now. "You won't say no? Harry, obedience is a virtue I need to teach you before you die... Perhaps another little dose of pain?"