Dan Radcliffe on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One: "A Road Movie"

DH Film
April 23, 2009, 10:45 AM

With press coverage beginning in earnest of late, WB has sent over the latest images from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince contained in last week's Entertainment Weekly: Dumbledore and Harry on the Tower, Dumbledore and Harry at the Pensieve.  HBP Set Previews galore are also set to be released, more on that soon!

In the meantime, as reported earlier this week regarding the potential split of the movies, a new preview of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is contained in the special 20th Anniversary edition of Empire Magazine. Scans are now available here in our galleries thanks to our Order Partners Rupert Grint.net and DanRadcliffe.com where you can see a fantastic new photo of the Trio of Dan Radclffe (Harry), Emma Watson (Hermione) and Rupert Grint (Ron) (a small version of this is also on the cover of the magazine).

The article contains a new interview with Producer David Heyman, and actor Dan Radcliffe where they discuss filming of both movies that is currently underway. Mr. Heyman notes they are still finalising the script for Part Two, finishing up casting and working out the remaining filming schedule. At the time of the interview, Dan Radcliffe noted that he had just been filming "a big fight scene and it's great. I'm covered in dust and blood, but it's brilliant. I just get to be a boy and run around!"

Good news for fans comes from David Heyman when discussing things cut from the plot, given they are making the book into two films, as he noted "...in the end I think they'll be less edited from this film than films past because we have the freedom of making two films and I think it's going to be fantastic." Dan Radcliffe continues: "This is a road movie, particularly in Part One of the film. People have been so used to seeing Harry Potter at Hogwarts and we're just not there for the first part of the film. That seems to have really freshened things up, and hopefully will get people seeing the films with fresh eyes again, because its just a totally different look when you're not just sat in the same room the whole time. Heyman added: "They're be a lot of action, a lot of adventure, and it'll be an ending very true to the books that Jo's (Rowling) written, so if you read the books you'll really have a good sense of what's going to happen."

Dan also says in addition to filming the epilogue, " I think for me, that's intimidating is going to be the walk at the end to meet Voldemort in the forest. That's going to be really tough, but I can't wait."

This issue of Empire Magazine is on newsstands starting today. Thanks so much to Lauren, RupertGrint.net and DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Toby_metal_thumb

well for most of movie 1 they will be apparating from forest to forest, scavenging food and bogging down in the mud about what to do, always wondered how they are going to break all that up for the movie because in the book i remember feeling like “god end already” when it came to the long stays in the forest and arguments and such. but it’s supposed to feel uncomfortable i guess.
if they split it as xeno’s house there will at least be the silver doe and godrics hollow in the first one =)

Posted by splinch on April 23, 2009, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Squee_thumb

If you get to travel around to location and not have to shoot everything on set it’s a road movie! I really hope the cast has a good time stretching their wings a bit.

The more info we get about casting and ’they’re shooting this part/this scene now’, the more excited I get about DH! I really hope you’re able to get the HD versions of the Empire pics, too – especially the trio.

It struck me last night that two years from now we’ll be about a month away from the final installment of the franchise. How sad is that!!

Posted by Kismatt on April 23, 2009, 02:15 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

wow.what an amazing interview. I don’t want to be over…I already see myself…in the cinema…on both DH..crying my eyes out…maybe its better for me to go alone,without my friends. I just can’t believe its over..its not just their half-life experience. its ours too. can’t believe it..it will be so empty wihout Harry around.

Posted by Matea on April 23, 2009, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I am just enthralled by this thorough preview and may have to purchase a physical copy of the magazine this weekend. It is interesting that they describe the first part as a road movie, but I suppose it makes sense within the context and structure of the plot they are adapting.

Posted by Kirk on April 23, 2009, 02:34 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

it’s only right, as the final book with with all the little side stories and such, to stay as true to the book as possible. this is my favorite book.. this movie better do it justice!

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on April 23, 2009, 02:37 PM report to moderator
Hbp_promo_officialposter_01_thumb

I think that getting all this information while HBP isn’t out yet is fine because every1 knows they’ve still got that to come first before we begin the countdown to the final 2. However, when we’re building up to DH 1 and 2, i think it will be almost unbearable! 10 years of HP and all of a sudden – gone.

Posted by StefanM94[WBM!] on April 23, 2009, 02:40 PM report to moderator
Me_and_james_going_to_school_thumb

just rereading HBP for the 6th time can’t wait ffor the film to come out.

Posted by prof mewthree "squee" on April 23, 2009, 02:48 PM report to moderator
9013438_thumb

When I read “A Road Movie” I first thought was this is not a comedy (reference Bob Hope/Bing Crosby Road Movies) But then after that brief moment of “do they realise what they are saying?” I was like they meant that the trio are on the go different locations yada yada yada. Silly people, using terms that are specific to a group of movies.

Posted by carebie on April 23, 2009, 02:53 PM report to moderator
9013438_thumb

So now we have to start singing because its a “Road Movie” …“We are off on the road from the Burrow, this travel is hard on the spine, where we’re going, how we’re going, how can we be sure, I’ll lay you eight to five that we’ll meet Vol-d-e-mort…We may run into Villians but we’re not afriad to roam, because we’ve read the story and we end up safe at home…” Sorry I really had to, lol.

Posted by carebie on April 23, 2009, 03:15 PM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

well i would like to see the walk through the forest by Harry!
and also the final battle between Harry and Voldemot

Posted by blackhair on April 23, 2009, 03:22 PM report to moderator
Photo_95_thumb

wait a minute, since when is the pensieve a big floating lens?

Posted by vomit on April 23, 2009, 03:31 PM report to moderator

dan’s so brilliant! And I love all the pics. Thanks TLC!

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on April 23, 2009, 03:39 PM report to moderator
Harryhbp-1_thumb

It’s good news that they won’t be editing much from the films! I’m so excited for HBP and DH!! I love that we’re getting so much info on DH already!

Posted by katana on April 23, 2009, 03:47 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

It will be cool to see other scenery outside of Hogwarts. I’m thrilled they are packing as much into the final films as they can. The scans are great, I’m going to have to purchase a copy of this magazine! I’m SOOOOO excited!!!!!!

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on April 23, 2009, 03:49 PM report to moderator

This is going to be an amazing movie!

Posted by on April 23, 2009, 04:06 PM report to moderator

...he sank backward through the ragged veil hanging from the arch...[br]And Harry saw the look of mingled fear and surprise on his godfather's wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil, which flutter