Dan Radcliffe Says Split of Movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a "Tense Cliffhanger"

DH Film
April 21, 2009, 05:29 AM

The new issue of Empire Magazine is set to contain a new feature on the Harry Potter films, with new interviews from actor Dan Radcliffe and producer David Heyman. Empire has released an excerpt, where the pair discuss the splitting of the two movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While he did not specific where exactly the split is to take place, producer David Heyman talks about the thought behind selecting the split point. He says:

"We've played around with a couple of places," said Heyman, "and ultimately settled on a place that we think is very exciting, and I think quite bold, in that it's not necessarily where one might expect. You want to give a sense of completion, on one hand, but a sense that there's another piece, more to come. We tried one and then Steve (Kloves, screenwriter) came up with the idea to try it another way and when we tried that, it felt just right."

Daniel Radcliffe added that the split is "at a very tense cliffhanger", which may be a bigger clue for fans.

They also speak to briefly on filming for the epilogue for the film. As noted here several times before those scenes will feature the regular cast members who will be aged for those scenes. Dan Radcliff speaks again on this: "I am nervous about that," he told us, "because if it's good I'll be really, really pleased; if it's not good and that's what people are left with, that would be awful. If it's a choice between having me, Rupert and Emma looking a bit stupid and it being slightly comical or having other actors play us, I would go for other actors every time. So, we'll see."

This issue of Empire is due out on April 23. Related Note: TLC has received several credible reports that the split is possibly during the visit to Xeno Lovegood's home, when the Death Eaters arrive and beging their attack. While this would be almost the half-way point in the book as well (Chapter 20), please treat this very much as rumor for the time being.

Thanks to those who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

30305_116079131768789_113664342010268_91277_1312318_s_thumb

I’m sooooo excited!!!

Posted by Rita_Dumbledore94 on April 22, 2009, 02:40 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I’m still waiting …

Posted by Garden State Geek on April 22, 2009, 06:00 PM report to moderator
Perry-the-platypus-perry-the-platypus-4267460-120-115-1_thumb

I’m so excited for this movie; I bet it’s after Ron comes back, because that was really tense, but who really knows (besides the people involved with the film, of course)?

Normal_tomriddle2_scarpotter_thumb

I didn’t think of Xeno’s for the split. I’ve been mostly thinking of when Ron leaves.

Posted by Huffleclaw65 on April 22, 2009, 10:27 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonagall_thumb

Hmmm, cliffhanger… that narrows it down!

Posted by oldenoughtoknowbetter♎ROAR♎OoM1, CW on April 23, 2009, 12:11 AM report to moderator
15ppnr5_thumb

I don’t mind cliff hangers so much. Yes, of course they raise my blood pressure a little,but I think it will be REALLY interesting to see where they split.

I wonder though, are they going to release DH part 1 to DVD before part 2 is released? I don’t know if I would be able to handle a year long cliff hanger. I can barely handle LOST season finale cliff hangers for a couple months.

Posted by KimmyZ on April 23, 2009, 01:11 AM report to moderator
Green_hummers_thumb

Can’t wait to find out where! I hate Cliff hangers!!! Like a slow transition in to the next film. will have to wait (uggg) and see!!

Posted by Lady Grey OoM2,CW*ROAR* on April 23, 2009, 11:06 AM report to moderator
Carrascoavatar_thumb

Splitting the movie at the Lovegood house? That seems so odd to me. I can’t figure out where in that scene the split would happen.

I still think the best split would be Dobby’s death. You end the first movie with Harry holding Dobby as he dies. Then you open the 2nd movie with Harry digging Dobby’s grave and going from there. It really isn’t all that much further than the Lovegood scene so it’d be doable.

Posted by hpbruin on April 23, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

nooooooooooooooooo!! i hate cliffhangers. oh hang on. i kno what happens….. my bad. but i’ll still be like NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna see the rrest of it. give it 2 me!!!!!!

i thought either when ron left(boohoo), xenos house, or when harry says voldemort and the thugs come. hmmmm….. interesting………

9013438_thumb

To me, Harry Jumping into the pool, Ron attempting to kill the horcrux, the trio being attacked by snatchers all three= cliffhangers. I think if you get to Malfoy manner you are too late in the book, a lot happens after that yes, but it goes really fast. I still think it would be a good idea to end it with the trio reuniting and having killed the locket, and moving the xeno arch to before Ron comes back, that way you wrap it up while still leaving the search for more horcruxes and you have the introduction to the Hallows, but if its going to be a cliffhanger, I think you can still split it somewhere in the silver Doe sequence and I still think Lovegood’s could be done without Ron, and have it in the first half of the movie before the silver doe. But that is just my opinion.

Posted by carebie on April 23, 2009, 02:41 PM report to moderator
Ginny-400px-mk_1__thumb

WOW!! it would be a pretty good cliffhanger at lovegoods house!! either way i still wished they would make it into a 4 hour movie…hahahah
i cant wait though :D

Posted by [sAnDRa] [RoAr!!] on April 23, 2009, 02:47 PM report to moderator
Harrypotter-100x100_thumb

“I still think it would be a good idea to end it with the trio reuniting and having killed the locket, and moving the xeno arch to before Ron comes back,…”

I don’t think it’s possible to move the Xeno/Finding out about the Deathly Hallows arc to anywhere else in the story. After learning about the Hallows, Harry immediately becomes obsessed with them. The thought of attaining them grips Harry so thoroughly that not even the Horcruxes seem to matter to him anymore. Harry can’t enter this mental state before the Locket is destroyed, because, then, Harry focusing on the sword and the destruction of the Locket Horcrux would be out of character for the “Hallows obsessed Harry”…

Only Dobby’s death and the events that preceeded it are able to shake Harry out of his new obsession. Therefore, it’s crucial that the Xeno scene remains exactly where it is in the story arc.

Posted by Hallows not Horcruxes on April 23, 2009, 05:29 PM report to moderator
Maryjim_thumb

You know, all of those chapters were so tense, anywhere were they decide to ended will be awesome!

Posted by treebeliever on April 23, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
H-r_thumb

My guess? Probably after Ron leaves. Another place, may be when they’re captured by the ministry (you know, when Harry said Voldemort accidently?). However that, may be too soon.

Posted by fantasylover12001 on April 23, 2009, 06:30 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

I could definatly see it being Xeno’s… I’ve always thought it should be there or Silver Doe! :)

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on April 23, 2009, 08:31 PM report to moderator

Harry looked back into the flames, and jumped.[br]Sirius's head was sitting in the fire. If Harry hadn't seen Mr. Diggory do exactly this back in the Weasleys' kitchen, it would have scared him out of his wits.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014