Dan Radcliffe Says Split of Movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a "Tense Cliffhanger"

DH Film
April 21, 2009, 05:29 AM

The new issue of Empire Magazine is set to contain a new feature on the Harry Potter films, with new interviews from actor Dan Radcliffe and producer David Heyman. Empire has released an excerpt, where the pair discuss the splitting of the two movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While he did not specific where exactly the split is to take place, producer David Heyman talks about the thought behind selecting the split point. He says:

"We've played around with a couple of places," said Heyman, "and ultimately settled on a place that we think is very exciting, and I think quite bold, in that it's not necessarily where one might expect. You want to give a sense of completion, on one hand, but a sense that there's another piece, more to come. We tried one and then Steve (Kloves, screenwriter) came up with the idea to try it another way and when we tried that, it felt just right."

Daniel Radcliffe added that the split is "at a very tense cliffhanger", which may be a bigger clue for fans.

They also speak to briefly on filming for the epilogue for the film. As noted here several times before those scenes will feature the regular cast members who will be aged for those scenes. Dan Radcliff speaks again on this: "I am nervous about that," he told us, "because if it's good I'll be really, really pleased; if it's not good and that's what people are left with, that would be awful. If it's a choice between having me, Rupert and Emma looking a bit stupid and it being slightly comical or having other actors play us, I would go for other actors every time. So, we'll see."

This issue of Empire is due out on April 23. Related Note: TLC has received several credible reports that the split is possibly during the visit to Xeno Lovegood's home, when the Death Eaters arrive and beging their attack. While this would be almost the half-way point in the book as well (Chapter 20), please treat this very much as rumor for the time being.

Thanks to those who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

01268775246071000000606576_thumb

I can see it being at the Lovegood’s. Maybe when they are walking up to the house right before thy knock on the door or right after they knock and before Mr. Lovegood answer’s.Idk. I was thinking Gordic but now im not sure. I can see it being at Lovegood’s.

Posted by guardgirl1012 [*SQUEE*] on April 21, 2009, 06:14 PM report to moderator
01268775246071000000606576_thumb

Posted by guardgirl1012 [*SQUEE*] on April 21, 2009, 06:17 PM report to moderator
Iconator_1219385d1bc508ea565d4c902a6f052d_thumb

I couldnt see them ending the film with a broken trio. So that seems like a good place to split it

Posted by Kara000 ~ROAR~ on April 21, 2009, 06:49 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I was certain that they would like to close the first movie on a note that would suspend audiences in anticipation for the sequel. Ending it with Xenophilus asking them what the Deathly Hallows are (or something happening around then) seems like a good way to finish the movie, and would make sense considering the time constrictions and plot events in the novel.

Posted by Kirk on April 21, 2009, 06:54 PM report to moderator
Imagen009_thumb

I’m getting excited about this movie, and I haven’t even seen HBP

whyyyyyy WB whyyyyyy?

Posted by selene21 (ROAR) on April 21, 2009, 06:56 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

That makes a lot of sense. Of course it’s not much of a cliff hanger for anyone that has read the books.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on April 21, 2009, 07:01 PM report to moderator
Tale_of_three_bros

Ohh the “tense cliffhanger” better not be the torturing of Hermione at the Malfoy mansion! Gah!

Posted by Marauder (OM1C) on April 21, 2009, 07:30 PM report to moderator

I expected the split to be earlier than this but it is still near the middle of the book. Can’t wait to find out for sure.

Posted by KiwiBrian on April 21, 2009, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Ahh_thumb

I think they will be great as their older selves. I personally would rather see the trio aged than other actors portraying them as the screen fades to black. I think they will do a great job. It won’t take much to age them. 37 isn’t that old. Yeah, I don’t want the first one to end at Malfoy Manor. I wouldn’t like that.

Posted by spicefan78 OoM1 {ROAR!} on April 21, 2009, 09:27 PM report to moderator

Hmm…very interesting.

Posted by badger666 on April 21, 2009, 10:33 PM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

SQUEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Posted by joeys_mommy on April 21, 2009, 11:13 PM report to moderator
Hpsssorting_thumb

They so didn’t need to split this film – just trying to make more money but whatever.
I just want to see the film(s).

Posted by TheSortingHat[ROAR] on April 22, 2009, 03:27 AM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

Xeno’s huh? I would have figured The Silver Doe, but Xeno’s makes sense too. It’s after Ron gets back, it’s exciting, cliffhanger etc.

My question is: where’s Dobby going to feature in the first film? He’s supposed to be in both, right? His death must be in the second…am I being forgetful? Is he in the book before that?

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on April 22, 2009, 03:35 AM report to moderator
L_14a5217ad3d6474c94123a84eb762af8_thumb

With what they have said, I get the feeling that the split is going to be right when they are captured and going to be taken to Malfoy Manor. It kind of makes sense because they have that time right before it happens to make first film resolutions and then, boom, cliffhanger. I would actually like that if they did.

Posted by lilhpchick20 on April 22, 2009, 12:14 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Yes! Love cliffhangers! It would be kinda weird if it ended with Xeno saying “You mean the Deathly Hallows?” and then “…to be continued…”.

I heve complete faith that they’ll split it at the right point. I’m hoping that it’s Dobby’s death.

Posted by Dances with Dobby on April 22, 2009, 12:38 PM report to moderator

"Broaden you minds, my dears, and allow your eyes to see past the mundane!"

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014