Dan Radcliffe Says Split of Movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a "Tense Cliffhanger"

DH Film
April 21, 2009, 05:29 AM

The new issue of Empire Magazine is set to contain a new feature on the Harry Potter films, with new interviews from actor Dan Radcliffe and producer David Heyman. Empire has released an excerpt, where the pair discuss the splitting of the two movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While he did not specific where exactly the split is to take place, producer David Heyman talks about the thought behind selecting the split point. He says:

"We've played around with a couple of places," said Heyman, "and ultimately settled on a place that we think is very exciting, and I think quite bold, in that it's not necessarily where one might expect. You want to give a sense of completion, on one hand, but a sense that there's another piece, more to come. We tried one and then Steve (Kloves, screenwriter) came up with the idea to try it another way and when we tried that, it felt just right."

Daniel Radcliffe added that the split is "at a very tense cliffhanger", which may be a bigger clue for fans.

They also speak to briefly on filming for the epilogue for the film. As noted here several times before those scenes will feature the regular cast members who will be aged for those scenes. Dan Radcliff speaks again on this: "I am nervous about that," he told us, "because if it's good I'll be really, really pleased; if it's not good and that's what people are left with, that would be awful. If it's a choice between having me, Rupert and Emma looking a bit stupid and it being slightly comical or having other actors play us, I would go for other actors every time. So, we'll see."

This issue of Empire is due out on April 23. Related Note: TLC has received several credible reports that the split is possibly during the visit to Xeno Lovegood's home, when the Death Eaters arrive and beging their attack. While this would be almost the half-way point in the book as well (Chapter 20), please treat this very much as rumor for the time being.

Thanks to those who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Angiebumliac_hpdh_021_thumb

I am fine with Xeno’s house being the end of the first movie. As long as Ron is back. You hear me Kloves? Ron better be back by the end of the first movie or I’ll be really upset.

And I’d rather it be a bit comical than have different actors in the epilogue. It’d be great if it wasn’t comical (for all the wrong reasons that is), though Dan, so just worry about your performance and make sure it isn’t like that. It’s in your hands.

Posted by mollywobbles23 on April 21, 2009, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Picture0093_thumb

Eek! I have no idea where they are going to split the films, none at all! In a way I won’t want to watch trailer of DH one, because I’d love it to be a complete suprise in the cinema when I watch it. That’s going to be so impossible though.

Posted by Serpensortia [FTC!] on April 21, 2009, 02:21 PM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

I still contend that it’s just after The Silver Doe…but after the Lovegood’s house would be exciting as well!

Posted by maera-kyrie on April 21, 2009, 02:45 PM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

I like the idea of Xeno’s tower being the cliffhanger. It puts a lot of great stuff into the first one, and leaves a lot of great stuff for the second one. Very well balanced.

As far as aging goes, I don’t think they’ll have to do a whole lot. They’ll only be in their mid-30’s. Maybe a hint of receding hairline for the guys, a touch of grey, and “mom hair” for the ladies. Not too many wrinkes needed, and no facial hair; that would be going too far.

And of course, definitely give Harry his father’s glasses. :)

Posted by ScottMan on April 21, 2009, 03:24 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

Dobby’s death should either be at the end of the first movie, or in the middle of the second one. Definitely not the beginning of the second one.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on April 21, 2009, 03:54 PM report to moderator
Freddie7_thumb

That would be interesting if it really was the blowing up of the Lovegoods place. When I first read it, though, I immediately thought of Ron leaving Hermione and Harry.

Posted by Silvia aka Ninotsjka on April 21, 2009, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Hpim2981_thumb

I don’t know if I would like the split at the lovegoods. i think a good spot would be just after ron busts the locket. maybe that would be too soon, but i think the ministry break-in, harry’s flashes into voldemorts mind, Ron leaving, and returning, and godrics hollow would make a really awesome plot for part one.

Could end with hermione beating the tar out of ron :)

Posted by Annie_roo on April 21, 2009, 04:53 PM report to moderator

I can’t wait!

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on April 21, 2009, 04:53 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Yaaayyy! That’s what i was expecting. It was the first scene i thought it would be perfect when i heard about the split.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on April 21, 2009, 05:13 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

I think it would make sense to split at Xeno’s house because then we would know about the Deathly Hallows- but would that really be a ‘tense’ cliffhanger? I thought it would be Ron’s departure (or return), that seems pretty tense to me. I would personally prefer it to be when they are on the dragon escaping Gringotts, because then they have a lot of time to devote to the second movie. Oh well, Xeno’s house would make sense, otherweis how could you call the first movie “Deathly Hallows One” if we don’t even know about the Deathly Hallows?

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on April 21, 2009, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Harrypotter-100x100_thumb

I think Xeno Lovegood’s would be an excellent place for the split.

For one, we would get a good “sense of completion” moment, as the events involving the destruction of locket would take place in close proximity to the split. The destruction of the Locket, the first of the four Horcruxes they set out to destroy, is the trio’s first real triumph of Deathly Hallows, and I think with the split being at Xeno’s house, it would still serve as the climax of Part 1.

Second, learning of the crucial Deathly Hallows plot thread right at the end of Part 1 not only provides a great cliffhanger, it sets up Part 2 quite nicely.

It would allow Part 2 to begin with Harry’s obsession with the Hallows, a crucial plot point. This obsession should dominate the beginning scenes of Part 2, as it’s Harry’s triumph over this obessesion that allows him to truly undestand the Hallows, and in turn become the true Master of Death, which leads to Voldemort’s defeat. Harry overcoming his obessesion with the Hallows and choosing to again focus his search on the Horcruxes is one of his most heroic moments of the entire series, and it’s a moment closely intertwined with Dobby’s death. The more focus that’s put on Harry’s obsession, the more powerful that moment will be.

Opening Part 2 with Harry’s Hallows obsession will give the obesession scenes time to breath, and fully develop.

Posted by Hallows not Horcruxes on April 21, 2009, 05:43 PM report to moderator
Id-rather-walk-alone_thumb

i wasn’t really expecting them to split it at xeno’s, but if they do it when the printing press is uncovered and the death eaters arrive, it could be really ‘tense’, but you’d get a ‘sense of completion’ about the whole ron thing. sweet. i can’t wait!

Posted by gryffindorkeeper *RAWR* on April 21, 2009, 05:44 PM report to moderator
2634522_thumb

Hmm… Thats an interesting place to split the movies. There are other places where it could be split, though. But the Lovegood house seems pretty good to me! :)

Posted by ClarinetFreak28 on April 21, 2009, 05:51 PM report to moderator
01268775246071000000606576_thumb

I can see it being at the Lovegood’s. Maybe when they are walking up to the house right before thy knock on the door or right after they knock and before Mr. Lovegood answer’s.Idk. I was thinking Gordic but now im not sure. I can see it being at Lovegood’s.

Posted by guardgirl1012 [*SQUEE*] on April 21, 2009, 06:09 PM report to moderator
01268775246071000000606576_thumb

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Harry, at least, felt extremely foolish, staring blankly at the crystal ball, trying to keep his mind empty when thoughts such as "this is stupid" kept drifting across it. It didn't help that Ron kept breaking into silent giggles and Hermione kept tutting