Dan Radcliffe Says Split of Movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a "Tense Cliffhanger"

DH Film
April 21, 2009, 05:29 AM

The new issue of Empire Magazine is set to contain a new feature on the Harry Potter films, with new interviews from actor Dan Radcliffe and producer David Heyman. Empire has released an excerpt, where the pair discuss the splitting of the two movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While he did not specific where exactly the split is to take place, producer David Heyman talks about the thought behind selecting the split point. He says:

"We've played around with a couple of places," said Heyman, "and ultimately settled on a place that we think is very exciting, and I think quite bold, in that it's not necessarily where one might expect. You want to give a sense of completion, on one hand, but a sense that there's another piece, more to come. We tried one and then Steve (Kloves, screenwriter) came up with the idea to try it another way and when we tried that, it felt just right."

Daniel Radcliffe added that the split is "at a very tense cliffhanger", which may be a bigger clue for fans.

They also speak to briefly on filming for the epilogue for the film. As noted here several times before those scenes will feature the regular cast members who will be aged for those scenes. Dan Radcliff speaks again on this: "I am nervous about that," he told us, "because if it's good I'll be really, really pleased; if it's not good and that's what people are left with, that would be awful. If it's a choice between having me, Rupert and Emma looking a bit stupid and it being slightly comical or having other actors play us, I would go for other actors every time. So, we'll see."

This issue of Empire is due out on April 23. Related Note: TLC has received several credible reports that the split is possibly during the visit to Xeno Lovegood's home, when the Death Eaters arrive and beging their attack. While this would be almost the half-way point in the book as well (Chapter 20), please treat this very much as rumor for the time being.

Thanks to those who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Img000029_thumb

Every time I hear a new piece about this film, I get more excited! It feels so far away though :/

Posted by omgitslouise [WBM] [Ravenvlog <3's Me] on April 21, 2009, 12:21 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_thumb

I really hope the split isn’t at the Lovegood house. That would leave soooo much stuff to cover in the last film.

Posted by Lady of the Lake on April 21, 2009, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

well i hav a solution for WB don’t flim the epilogue instead of that go for the couples marriage.
The Epilogue thing actually i didn’t like it at all it left so many unsolved queries

Posted by blackhair on April 21, 2009, 12:30 PM report to moderator
Doctor_who_5_thumb

When I first heard that they were splitting the film I thought of Xeno Lovegood’s house. It seems like a natural place to split as the trio will learn about the Deathly Hallows. I’m not too keen on the idea of a cliff-hanger though.

Posted by I've got a theory... *ROAR* on April 21, 2009, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Lily_evans_thumb

To be honest I’ll be happy with what ever they can give us. They should know
where the to cut the film and where the Cliffhanger should be all that we have
to do is just wait and see.

Posted by Athenamalfoy on April 21, 2009, 12:56 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

I’m fine with cutting it at the Lovegoods, as long as they don’t rush the second film. Despite this being half way through the book, so much more happens plot-wise after this, like all the stuff at Hogwarts. They better not rush the most important scenes of the whole series, like The Prince’s Tale.

Posted by The Niffler [WBM!] on April 21, 2009, 12:58 PM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

I’m for haveing the trio age as themselves. I would rather it be them as somone new playing them at the end. The last scene has to be our Dan, Emma, and Rupert. Let’s not forget Ginny and Draco either. If all the orginals just aged they will look ok. After all, 35-36 is still not old. It wouldn’t take a lot to make them appear older.

Posted by Cool G on April 21, 2009, 01:40 PM report to moderator

I’m extremely excited for this film now! Splitting it at Xeno’s house would make sense, although I never really thought about it before

Posted by kenmarekestrels93 {{ROAR}} on April 21, 2009, 01:45 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

It’s funny how many people didn’t even think of the Lovegoods’ (me neither) … I guess I just thought it was too early. Hmm, I suppose i’ll just have to wait and see the movie to see if whatever they do was the right decision.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on April 21, 2009, 01:52 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Img_44501_thumb

hmm, really? at the lovegood’s? i guess it would work. i just really want to watch it now more than anything

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 21, 2009, 01:54 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 21, 2009, 01:54 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

i bet it’s right when Greyback and the Snatchers show up…I bet it goes off there and then Part Two opens with Malfoy Manor…but then again Maybe not because if they stay really faithful to the book then Part One is going to open at Malfoy Manor too…I don’t know. That would be a nice balance though. Wherever they have split it…Im sure it’s going to be AWESOME and it’s probably going to torture us for 8 months until we see part two.

Posted by cghambright on April 21, 2009, 02:03 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

i would have never expected it to be at the lovegood’s house.. i thought it would be either when they show up at malfoy manor or after ron saves harry. i think the lovegood’s house scenes would be a good place though now that i think about it, it means that the first half of the book won’t be rushed.

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on April 21, 2009, 02:06 PM report to moderator

Xeno saying “Are you referring to the sign of the Deathly Hallows” (or whatever he says) is a pretty bad idea, in my opinion. It just sounds like a really stupid ending. I think they will have the Death Eaters at Xeno’s house capture the trio, the end.

Posted by Jaymie Brooks on April 21, 2009, 02:11 PM report to moderator

Hermione was checking Harry and Ron's Charms homework for them. She would never let them copy ("How will you [br]learn?"), but by asking her to read it through, they got the right answers anyway.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014