Dan Radcliffe Says Split of Movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a "Tense Cliffhanger"

DH Film
April 21, 2009, 05:29 AM

The new issue of Empire Magazine is set to contain a new feature on the Harry Potter films, with new interviews from actor Dan Radcliffe and producer David Heyman. Empire has released an excerpt, where the pair discuss the splitting of the two movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While he did not specific where exactly the split is to take place, producer David Heyman talks about the thought behind selecting the split point. He says:

"We've played around with a couple of places," said Heyman, "and ultimately settled on a place that we think is very exciting, and I think quite bold, in that it's not necessarily where one might expect. You want to give a sense of completion, on one hand, but a sense that there's another piece, more to come. We tried one and then Steve (Kloves, screenwriter) came up with the idea to try it another way and when we tried that, it felt just right."

Daniel Radcliffe added that the split is "at a very tense cliffhanger", which may be a bigger clue for fans.

They also speak to briefly on filming for the epilogue for the film. As noted here several times before those scenes will feature the regular cast members who will be aged for those scenes. Dan Radcliff speaks again on this: "I am nervous about that," he told us, "because if it's good I'll be really, really pleased; if it's not good and that's what people are left with, that would be awful. If it's a choice between having me, Rupert and Emma looking a bit stupid and it being slightly comical or having other actors play us, I would go for other actors every time. So, we'll see."

This issue of Empire is due out on April 23. Related Note: TLC has received several credible reports that the split is possibly during the visit to Xeno Lovegood's home, when the Death Eaters arrive and beging their attack. While this would be almost the half-way point in the book as well (Chapter 20), please treat this very much as rumor for the time being.

Thanks to those who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Burtondeppavvie_thumb

Nah it would ruin it if we’ve stayed with the same three for so many years, then they just finish it off by throwing in some randomers. Sorry Dan, but I’d much rather they do it and take the challenge than cop out at the last hurdle.

But we’ll see I suppose. As always, it’s lovely to hear from Dan :)

Posted by Linnyish on April 21, 2009, 07:34 AM report to moderator

cliffs and cliffhangers make me think of shell cottage, and dobby’s death!

I’m still rooting for after return of Ron and desctruction of Horcrux, though.

I am desperate to have original actors play their parts in the epilogue. I’m sure it can be done well. To have strangers come in would be dreadful on so many levels!

Posted by pottershrink on April 21, 2009, 07:53 AM report to moderator

If they do cut it at Xeno’s house, I think it will be:
Xeno: Are you talking about the Deathly Hallows?
Cut to trio’s dumbfounded faces and “to be continued…” Aaack!!

Posted by pottershrink on April 21, 2009, 07:56 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

I am so excited about Deathly Hallows. I think that the split being at Xeno Lovegood’s home would be good If it is true!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on April 21, 2009, 08:03 AM report to moderator
Avatarhghbp_thumb

“I wish they would just make one really long movie. They can offer whatever excuses they want but we all know it’s about one thing, money.”

Jersey, with the two movies you will get 4.5 to 6 hours of film. If they had made just “one really long movie” you would have got 3.5 hours at the absolute tops and even that would have been unlikely for one movie.

Be glad they are splitting it, you will get far more over the two films.

Posted by mouse68 on April 21, 2009, 08:25 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

LMAO! pottershrink that’s hilarious, I just had this mental picture of the trio having a ‘WTF’ look on their faces… but if they do it right it could work I suppose

Posted by Kamidee {ROAR!} [TZS] on April 21, 2009, 08:31 AM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

I know this sound really late in the book but what if it is when they are breaking into the ministry. Since Dan talks about how there is a possibility of having other actors play them. though the rumor of them splitting it at Xeno’s is plausible and I like that Idea as well.

Posted by GF_of_Seamus on April 21, 2009, 08:34 AM report to moderator

I think that parting the film in the visit to Xeno’s house makes sense. They learn what the deathly hallows are there and that would be a major cliffhanger. I can imagine Xeno saying to them: ‘Do you know what the deathly hallows are??’, everyone putting confusing and interested faces and the film ending right there.

Posted by Bonnie Radcliffe on April 21, 2009, 08:45 AM report to moderator
Smartgirlsrule_thumb

I think this is a good place to split the book. At that point a) Ron will be back b) we’ll know what the Deathly Hollows are and c) we’ll be past all of the camping and such. That way the second movie will be Malfoy Manor>Shell Cottage>Gringots>Final Battle>epilogue.

Posted by phoenixphire24 (ROAR!!!) on April 21, 2009, 08:47 AM report to moderator
Myleaky_thumb

Interesting… I was wondering if it would be at the Lovegoods, but I love the idea of the Silver Doe chapter, where the trio are reunited, but we see that someone is watching them… (that sounds like the end of Twilight – Warner won’t copy that, right?)

Posted by PewterWolf on April 21, 2009, 09:00 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Originally I wasn’t sure about it being two films, but I’m really pleased about it now, it gives plenty of time to include hopefully all the scenes we could wish for, plus they don’t have to rush through them. The Lovegoods would make a good split, the second film could start with the resolution of that scene then a little quiet time when I think they get to hear Potterwatch on the wireless, then Harry says Voldemort’s name and the Death Eaters arrive and catch them, lots of action and a real sense of peril to start the second film.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on April 21, 2009, 09:09 AM report to moderator
Believe-in-magic1_thumb

Ohhh I love getting new info about DH…even if it is a little vague. I for one think the split is going to come right after they fight of Nagini in Bathilda’s house…and Harry’s wand gets broken. But I definitely agree there’s a possibility it ends at Xeno Lovegood’s and I’d be happy with that ending too :-)

Posted by Miss_Mimz on April 21, 2009, 09:26 AM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

i thought of Xeno’s house or the sword of Gryffindor , either would be fantastic, but i suck with cliffhangers…i get VERY anxious, and then we have to wait a year =(
like with the season 7 finale cliffhanger with CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, i couldn’t even wait 3 months, so i’m in for it..

Posted by DesQueJteVois on April 21, 2009, 09:31 AM report to moderator

wow, good for you dan radcliffe. so glad he is open to using older actors in the epilogue!

Posted by dtown on April 21, 2009, 09:34 AM report to moderator
Ravenclawd_normal_thumb

Hope the cut will go well. ROns departure? or at the lovegoods?

Posted by DobbyandWinky WBM!!! on April 21, 2009, 09:50 AM report to moderator

"I specifically asked Professor Flitwick whether students were allowed to come in the Hog's Head, and he said yes, but he advised me strongly to bring our own glasses."