Dan Radcliffe Says Split of Movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a "Tense Cliffhanger"

DH Film
April 21, 2009, 05:29 AM

The new issue of Empire Magazine is set to contain a new feature on the Harry Potter films, with new interviews from actor Dan Radcliffe and producer David Heyman. Empire has released an excerpt, where the pair discuss the splitting of the two movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While he did not specific where exactly the split is to take place, producer David Heyman talks about the thought behind selecting the split point. He says:

"We've played around with a couple of places," said Heyman, "and ultimately settled on a place that we think is very exciting, and I think quite bold, in that it's not necessarily where one might expect. You want to give a sense of completion, on one hand, but a sense that there's another piece, more to come. We tried one and then Steve (Kloves, screenwriter) came up with the idea to try it another way and when we tried that, it felt just right."

Daniel Radcliffe added that the split is "at a very tense cliffhanger", which may be a bigger clue for fans.

They also speak to briefly on filming for the epilogue for the film. As noted here several times before those scenes will feature the regular cast members who will be aged for those scenes. Dan Radcliff speaks again on this: "I am nervous about that," he told us, "because if it's good I'll be really, really pleased; if it's not good and that's what people are left with, that would be awful. If it's a choice between having me, Rupert and Emma looking a bit stupid and it being slightly comical or having other actors play us, I would go for other actors every time. So, we'll see."

This issue of Empire is due out on April 23. Related Note: TLC has received several credible reports that the split is possibly during the visit to Xeno Lovegood's home, when the Death Eaters arrive and beging their attack. While this would be almost the half-way point in the book as well (Chapter 20), please treat this very much as rumor for the time being.

Thanks to those who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Harry_and_ginny_thumb

Oh how exciting! As soon as I saw ‘cliffhanger’ and ‘sense of completion’ I thought of Xeno’s house. It’ll be really interesting to see when we get to it. Now I just need to go order a copy of Empire magazine.

Posted by Harry's Horntail on April 21, 2009, 05:43 AM report to moderator
Kp_thumb

I am so excited about Deathly Hallows. I think that the split being at Xeno Lovegood’s home would be good If its true :)

Posted by kirsten on April 21, 2009, 05:48 AM report to moderator
Twitter2_thumb

Hmm.. I don’t know if I’m happy with the cliffhanger.. Offcourse I’ll know what is going to happen, but still… I’m not a fan of cliffhangers. I guess we just have to wait and see..

Posted by Niphai on April 21, 2009, 05:55 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

I’m thinking oif two places after this…

Ron’s departure…but it seems to early…

Or

When they apparate out of the malfoys and you see Harry twist and bellatrix and then it goes black…

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on April 21, 2009, 05:58 AM report to moderator
Bearcry_thumb

Ooh I never even THOUGHT about putting it at the Lovegood’s, but that would make sense. I love it that Dan would sacrifice his role in the final scene of the films that have had such an obvious impact on his life, in order to preserve the film’s integrity. Go DAN! YAYAYAYA!

Posted by A Tackier Pink on April 21, 2009, 05:58 AM report to moderator
Cartoonav_thumb

I was hoping for more of a resolution scene, but Xeno’s house would be a good cliffhanger. And we’ll have been told what the Deathly Hallows actually are by then, which is another plus. ;)

I also think I agree with Dan about using other actors. The problem with that though is that it means the films end with unfamilliar faces. Or it could end with familliar faces that don’t look right. It’s a double-edged sword.

Posted by latecomer on April 21, 2009, 06:10 AM report to moderator

That was one of my two main spots to split it at, actually. I was thinking that they would end the movie with the trio and the Death Eaters getting into a big duel (way more exaggerated than the book), and end it with them getting captured. Maybe with a shot or two of Malfoy Manor.

Posted by Jaymie Brooks on April 21, 2009, 06:17 AM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

i never thought about having it at the lovegoods either, but that would be as good a place as any I suppose!
can’t wait for this magazine!

Posted by bec majec *roar* on April 21, 2009, 06:17 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

gah anything with Kloves seal of approval makes me cringe, but of course I trust Heyman so I suppose it balances out. And I dont know how I would feel about other actors playing the trio, I think theres a greater risk of it being comical if they have completely different actors playing the trio, I would feel strange if the series ended without them :(

Posted by Kamidee {ROAR!} [TZS] on April 21, 2009, 06:22 AM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

I am thinking with the dragon while leaving Gringotts. And I am so right with my Benjamin Button theory! Yay!

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on April 21, 2009, 06:24 AM report to moderator
Dsc01855_thumb

I think that it is appropriate to place the spilt there, because we find out what the ‘Deathly Hallows’ actually are, but don’t know where Luna is or what the Death Eaters will do and if they will escape. I can just imagine the movie ending while Harry, Hermione and Ron are falling from the first floor to the Death Eaters awaiting them below :)

Posted by jessh324 on April 21, 2009, 06:54 AM report to moderator
Avatars_movie_hbp_feb08_003_thumb

This is going to be a terrible drag. Because I know as soon as I sit down in the theater and start watching DH I’m going to get totally absorbed then be really angry when the movie cuts off.

I wish they would just make one really long movie. They can offer whatever excuses they want but we all know it’s about one thing, money.

Posted by Jersey on April 21, 2009, 07:08 AM report to moderator

I really hope they will be using a mix of make-up and digital aging. The trio can pull of the acting, they know their characters and they can get into the older ones. The scene would be totally strange with different actors, like the ending of December Boys (which I didn´t like).
And I hope they can keep the actual split under wraps the next 19 months. I would really like to be surprised seeing it at a theatre. That´s certainly something people can be spoiled with. So, this should be a top secret operation. :-)

Posted by Fonty on April 21, 2009, 07:11 AM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

I really expected them to move Xeno’s house to earlier in the film (after the ministry and before Ron leaves). That way they could introduce the Hallows early. I’m not sure how I feel about it being the cut point. When I hear “cliff-hanger” I think of the moment they’re captured by the death eaters and taken to Malfoy manner. I think I’d prefer a split there instead. Oh well, I guess we will find out soon enough.

Posted by mollywobble on April 21, 2009, 07:15 AM report to moderator
Picture4_052_thumb

Gah! I’m so excited! I’m not really phased where they cut the films because, as evidenced by all the varying opinions – it could actually go anywhere and still make alot of sense from a storytelling/tension POV

Posted by joelface on April 21, 2009, 07:22 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Pettigrew owes his life to you. You have sent Voldemort a deputy who is in your debt.... When one wizard saves another wizard's life, it creates a certain bond between them... and I'm much mistaken if Voldemort wants his servant in the debt of Harry Pott