Entertainment Weekly Summer Movie Preview: News on Aragog, Interview with Steve Kloves, More

HBP Film
April 17, 2009, 11:09 AM

The new issue of Entertainment Weekly magazine contains their Summer Movie Previews, with a mention of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Of note seems to be confirmation from actor Jim Broadbent that his character of Slughorn will be dealing with the giant Spider Aragog. Also new are rare comments from HBP screenwriter Steve Kloves. Teaser Quotage from EW as follows:

The wait is over. Warner Bros.’ adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince finally hits theaters July 15.  “You know the headline on this one, of course,” says Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid) of the franchise’s sixth installment.  SPOILER ALERT!  “It’s the one where Dumbledore [Michael Gambon] pops his claws.” (If you’re not hip to Coltrane’s lingo, well …mystery preserved).  It’s also the one where we learn Voldemort’s origin story—although there’s much less of it in the movie than in the book. Screenwriter Steve Kloves says he chose “a few key memories instead of attempting to include all of them.” Half-Blood Prince also emphasizes Harry’s relationship with Professor Slughorn (Jim Broadbent), the Potions teacher who holds a secret to Voldemort’s past, plus teen-romance intrigue involving Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) and Ginny (Bonnie Wright), as well as Ron (Rupert Grint), Hermione (Emma Watson), and newcomer Lavender Brown (Jessie Cave). “The last film was quite intense with all that battle stuff,” says Grint. “This one is a lot lighter and much funnier.” Not that the film lacks thrills. “I worked with a giant spider,” says Broadbent. “Bloody marvelous.”

The magazine is also reviving their set visit article, (lost in the shuffle last year with the announcement of the delay of HBP) which includes interviews with cast members including Dan Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson as well as director David Yates. Among the many new details are stories of filming scenes with Hermione's heartache over Ron and Lavender (Even after ''Cut!'' Watson continues to tear up, and Radcliffe offers comfort with a lingering side hug and whispered praise. ''Bloody f---ing brilliant, Emma. Just top-notch.''), info on the number of memories included in the movie (''We see Voldemort as a little boy, and then on two occasions we see him as a student. By doing that, we honor the spirit of what Jo [Rowling] had done but avoid getting stuck in narrative cul-de-sacs.'' Yates), and thoughts on the art of romance from Dan Radcliffe (''I never had any idea how to talk to girls until a year or so ago,'' says the 19-year-old actor during a break from shooting last April. ''I still come out with trivial crap when I'm flirting, but I like to think I'm doing it in a faintly endearing way.'')From the article itself, Mr. Kloves is cited as saying the following:

Will moviegoers still be wild about Harry? ''I'm not going to lie to you,'' says Oscar-nominated screenwriter Steve Kloves, returning to his role as official franchise scribe after taking the fifth film, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, off. ''I do have some concern that because the books are over, the anticipation for the movies won't be the same.'' Yes, the films have surged in popularity since Alfonso Cuarón's Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban set them on an edgier course. And yes, there are those who follow the saga only through the movies — which is why we'll refrain from discussing Prince's monumental 90-hanky death. Yet even within the top ranks of a moviemaking operation as bloody well run as Harry Potter, there is, well, mild freaking out. Kloves allows himself an improbable thought, then laughs. ''It would be a complete car crash if no one showed up.''

He also speaks to the issue which we first reported several years ago involving the announcement from J.K. Rowling here in New York that she always thought of Professor Dumbledore as a gay character. Quotage from Mr. Kloves:

In Kloves' first draft of the screenplay, he had written a line (not in the book) in which Dumbledore fondly recalls a Muggle girl from his youth. He was quickly, quietly corrected. ''I was walking through Leavesden with Jo on our way to the first reading,'' Kloves remembers. ''As we entered the Great Hall, she leaned toward me and whispered, 'I saw the line you gave Dumbledore, but the thing is this: Dumbledore is gay.''' After Rowling revealed the wizard's sexuality to the rest of the filmmaking team — and before she made international headlines last fall by sharing this news publicly — Yates decided to strike the line. ''I just felt the scene worked without it,'' he says. ''I think the fact that Dumbledore is gay is wonderful. It feels very authentic to the character.''

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Avatar_hp_thumb

This looks really cool. (And bloody is just a very mild English swear word for those who were wondering!!) And the expression is “Popped your clogs!” not “claws!” And yes it means to die/dying/dead!!

8~D x

Img000029_thumb

I’m sort of worried about there only a few memories.
I hope the ones they’ve kept have been done really well. :]

Posted by omgitslouise [WBM] [Ravenvlog <3's Me] on April 17, 2009, 12:21 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

They could do it like the bath scene in Goblet of Fire, where they just show him from the waist up, or from the back if he has to stand up.

Posted by budgie on April 17, 2009, 12:23 PM report to moderator
N505104779_1292209_2919784_thumb

I so can’t wait for this movie. I’m more excited for this movie than I was for any of the others. With an exception of Sorcerer’s Stone.
I really love Robbie’s lingo. “Pops his clogs.” Hilarious.
I also love the fact that they’re bringing back Aragog, for his death, no doubt. Although I do worry… He was GINORMOUS in the second film. Will they attempt to recreate that Aragog, or will they make him smaller? Hrm…
I really hope that Half-Blood Prince is as good as the latest trailer makes it seem. I really hope they don’t screw it up.

Posted by Jason Devastation on April 17, 2009, 12:27 PM report to moderator

Hasn´t this article been published last year already??

Posted by Fonty on April 17, 2009, 12:27 PM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

yupe u r correct

Posted by blackhair on April 17, 2009, 12:34 PM report to moderator

Finally, a decent reason to check the mail box! HP is the main reason I subscribe to EW. That and it was a good use for Coke Rewards points…

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on April 17, 2009, 12:40 PM report to moderator

Quit torturing us with new trailers and interviews. Just give us the Movie already!

:P

Posted by on April 17, 2009, 01:00 PM report to moderator
Dsc00162_thumb

The online article says that it was posted in August of ‘08. Is there a new article I’m not finding?

Posted by dcrazmo {ROAR} on April 17, 2009, 01:01 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

I am buying this! =D I love the Emma/Dan quote very funny! I can’t actually imagine Dan swearing though! With Aragog in it i will be on the same lines as ron is saying death can only improve him! He really freaked me out in CoS!

Posted by AbiDumbledore on April 17, 2009, 01:13 PM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

ARAGOG ARAGOG oh dangit Aragog!!! I was sure that would be written around, but no, we’re going to get Aragog! I have hope for this movie yet!

Posted by ScottMan on April 17, 2009, 01:18 PM report to moderator
P4093399_thumb

Nice Article but…old!

Posted by Natalia {ROAR} on April 17, 2009, 01:22 PM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

I agree – Huly can’t be soon enough – I love that Emma got herself SSOOOO worked up that her unoffical movie boyfriend cheated on her with a Barbie wannabe that Dan had to comfort her… I mean if you think about it movie wise Rups and her have been going steady all along so his Lav thing must have been a bit jarring – I ADORE THIS!!!!!

And squeel the whole spider thing – I’m just hoping that Ron gets to comment on it!!!

Posted by JustSuperMione on April 17, 2009, 01:31 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Hahaha, loads of news today! I really cannot wait!
And … pops his clogs…LOL.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on April 17, 2009, 01:32 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

Um don’t you mean ‘pops his clogs’? not claws… lol! and yeah it basicaly means dies.

Posted by Felix Felicis on April 17, 2009, 01:44 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"How long have you been 'Big D' then?" said Harry.[br] "Shut it," snarled Dudley, turning away again.[br] "Cool name," said Harry, grinning and falling into step beside his cousin. "But you'll always be Ickle Diddykins to me."