One More Release Date Change: Half-Blood Prince Now Out July 15th, Confirmed by WB

Movies
April 14, 2009, 05:06 PM

Here we go again: Erc box office is reporting (now picked up too by ComingSoon.net) that Warner Bros has changed the release date for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince yet again, this time two days earlier than stated before to Wednesday, July 15, 2009. Update: WB has confirmed this now directly to TLC. Again, the new release date for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is Wednesday, July 15, 2009.

In a statement to the Associated Press, Warner Bros. head of distribution Dan Fellman said that "Every day the kids are out of school in summer is just like an extra Saturday."The article continues that with this move, it "gives the movie a head-start on the weekend during what's shaping up as a highly competitive summer season for Hollywood, which has major franchise films opening virtually every week." As readers will recall, OotP was moved shortly before its release, to the opening day as a Wednesday back in July, 2007.

Thanks so much to Jeff from ERC Boxoffice and Comingsoon.net for emailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Mugsp_profile_thumb

I was afraid they would do this. I don’t care for a Wednesday release. It only makes sense if there is a holiday. A random Wednesday is pointless. I can seriously wait two more days. How is this going to effect Azkatraz? Are we still watching it Thursday night? This will change everything! Augh. I’d rather be sleepy Friday and catch up the rest over the weekend then be drowsy the rest of the week from Tuesday. Geez. So annoying and frustrating. Why can’t they just keep it to Friday. Boo.

Posted by eiVega on April 14, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

I’m glad it was confirmed because i though it might have been a late april fools joke!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on April 14, 2009, 09:52 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

Well, Wednesday’s aren’t at all random. The LotR movies premiered on Wednesdays. Premiering a movie on Wednesday is sort of a show of force in the movie world, a sort of “We expect this to do so freaking well that we’re gonna release it in the middle of the gorramed week! How do you like DEM apples?”

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on April 14, 2009, 09:53 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_m2rela3or11qdoyv4o1_500_thumb

i’m not sure how i feel about this…on one hand i LOVE that i’ll be able to see HBP sooner, but on the other, all this date-changing business is confusing… i’d rather WB just stuck to one date.

Posted by *ariana_dumbledore* on April 14, 2009, 09:55 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

I hate WB right now and want to cry. This ruins everything. I didn’t write a complaint letter before but now I’m honestly considering it. What’s the address everybody? The ONLY reason I’m going to Azkatraz is now gone. I hope WB will refund all my expenses. Jerks. I wish the fandom was strong enough to boycott midnight release screenings on Wednesday and wait for Friday. THIS IS SO LAME!!!

Posted by eiVega on April 14, 2009, 09:57 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

Posted by eiVega on April 14, 2009, 09:57 PM report to moderator
Ravenclawssmarter_normal_thumb

wth WB?
really?
it’s coming out on a WEDNESDAY?

Posted by tayfayday [wbm] on April 14, 2009, 09:59 PM report to moderator
149229_1764325107128_1209128800_2006023_2527303_n_thumb

I am curious as to what other movies are opening that week and whether a Wednesday release gives HBP a leg up in Box Office totals?

Also, wouldn’t a date change like this affect those attending Azkatraz?

Although I am sure attenddees wouldnt mind seeing the movie a second time. I am also sure watching HBP together on release night surrounded by other rabid fans was a feature to Azkatraz that WB just rained on.

Posted by HomeDad on April 14, 2009, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Menkit_thumb

Something like two months would be much better XD

Posted by Sarabi on April 14, 2009, 10:10 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

whaaaat. but!..aghh. crazy WB but i am excited!

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 14, 2009, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Johnb_thumb

Good lord, I feel a in-coming rant from Sue about this lol. Oh well, it is summer time anyway, a day to plus or minus should not hurt.

John B.

Posted by JohnB on April 14, 2009, 10:15 PM report to moderator
Phoenix_thumb

is it two days LATER?
or two days earlier?

Posted by Pottercastfan ∞∆ROAR!∆∞ on April 14, 2009, 10:26 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

WOOP! WOOP!!! GREAT MOVE WARNER BROS!!!!! I can’t wait to see it!!! Only 93 days to go!!

Posted by cghambright on April 14, 2009, 10:33 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

@Pottercastfan: TWO DAYS EARLIER!!!

Posted by cghambright on April 14, 2009, 10:34 PM report to moderator
221701_10150191446717593_2865523_n_thumb

so close to my birthday!

Posted by karlitalovegood on April 14, 2009, 10:35 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"He is --" Ron said jerkily, tearing Percy's letter in half, "the world's" -- he tore it into quarters -- "biggest" -- he tore it into eighths -- [i]"git."[/i] He threw the pieces into the fire.