Platform 9 3/4 Discovery Named Best-Loved Scene by Oreo Poll

Movies
Posted by: Edward
April 10, 2009, 02:49 PM

The moment when Harry crosses the magical gateway onto Platform 9 3/4 in the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone film has been named the "single best-loved scene from a family film" in a new poll conducted by the Oreo cookie company.  The Telegraph is reporting that the scene was chosen after the cookie company polled "2,000 parents and children about their favourite films and scenes to discover which ones spanned the generations."  Other top movie moments include the chimney sweep dance in Mary Poppins, E.T.'s 'phone home' moment, and the singing Oompa Loompas in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

In addition to this, the Harry Potter films were named second to the classic Disney film Mary Poppins in a list of the Top Ten Family Films to Span the Generations.  The compete top ten list is as follows:

1. Mary Poppins
  2. Harry Potter
  3. The Wizard of Oz
  4. Bambi
  5. ET
  6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  7. Star Wars
  8. Grease
  9. Home Alone
  10. Shrek
Thanks to all who mailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Playermodel

star wars ftw

Posted by jonfrog {ROAR} on April 11, 2009, 01:13 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

I have to say that I completely agree with this scene being the all time best. I hope I don’t get hate mail for this but I actually tried to read the books right after they came out in ‘98-’‘99ish and just did not get the hype. In 2001 I saw SS, and this scene in particular, and was put under HP’s spell and still happily am today. Magic is the only word that does this scene justice. :)

Posted by Rebecka Potter on April 11, 2009, 01:33 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Posted by Rebecka Potter on April 11, 2009, 01:33 PM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

Harry Potter should have been number 1. No many how many times I watch HPSS, the sight of the Hogwarts Express always gives me shivers. Hmm is this the same as platform 9 3/4 ? Either way, this is the scene that does it for me every time.

Posted by Cool G on April 11, 2009, 02:25 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

Yea! It’s awesome to see it up there with all of those classic movies (which it deserves to be!
Platform 9 3/4 really is a great scene!
But as for the other movies Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is better than the new version. And I think Star Wars can be considerd a family movie, I saw it when I was really little (I hated it because I thought it was really sad but my brother loved it)

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on April 11, 2009, 02:33 PM report to moderator

This is awesome! Though, I am disappointed that Mary Popins is ahead of Harry Potter. It comes nowhere near it! The Wizard of Oz is probably second best to Harry Potter.

Posted by on April 11, 2009, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Love_thumb

Grease is not a family movie! All the innuendo (I mean a scene with broken ______ that ends in a pregnancy scare). Have parents not listened to the lyrics of Greased Lightning! Harry deserves to be there for sure, but I also love the other films on the list.

Posted by bibliomaniac WBM on April 11, 2009, 06:55 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

cool! i love the oompa loompas too! :D

Posted by chocolaterabbits on April 11, 2009, 07:09 PM report to moderator
You_know_poo_who_thumb

I’m glad Jo used Kings cross in “Limbo” for harry’s party. It’s such an emotional place I think, especially for the parents of the children going to hogwarts.

Posted by Happy_Orange on April 11, 2009, 07:36 PM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

Cool. I can actually understand why this particular scene was chosen, which doesn’t always happen with things like this. :-)
Like others, I don’t think Mary Poppins should be so high up there. Oh well. Actually, come to think of it, I don’t agree with much of what’s on the list, but at least HP is on there.

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on April 11, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Deatheaters_thumb

I didn’t think GREASE was a family movie :P

Posted by Loony.in.Honeydukes (ROAR) on April 11, 2009, 11:03 PM report to moderator
Scarff_copy_thumb

BOAST thats fantastic! i love all those movies!!!

Posted by weasleyalltheway(rrooaarr!) on April 12, 2009, 01:10 AM report to moderator
Portrait_thumb

I love that scene… When he was finally able to escape the Dursleys… You can’t resist but hate how the Dursleys treated Harry.

Posted by The Shadow Lord on April 12, 2009, 08:38 AM report to moderator
001_thumb

WoW, that´s great news!

Posted by saffran { roar } on April 12, 2009, 11:17 AM report to moderator
Merlin36_thumb

Aww, I loved that scene in the book. It’s where he meets the Weasley’s for the first time too! :)

Posted by FanaticFangirl on April 12, 2009, 11:32 AM report to moderator

"It's all right, Draco," said Snape, lowering his wand. "Potter is here for a little Remedial Potions."[br]Harry had not seen Malfoy look so gleeful since Umbridge had turned up to inspect Hagrid.