Platform 9 3/4 Discovery Named Best-Loved Scene by Oreo Poll

Movies
Posted by: Edward
April 10, 2009, 02:49 PM

The moment when Harry crosses the magical gateway onto Platform 9 3/4 in the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone film has been named the "single best-loved scene from a family film" in a new poll conducted by the Oreo cookie company.  The Telegraph is reporting that the scene was chosen after the cookie company polled "2,000 parents and children about their favourite films and scenes to discover which ones spanned the generations."  Other top movie moments include the chimney sweep dance in Mary Poppins, E.T.'s 'phone home' moment, and the singing Oompa Loompas in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

In addition to this, the Harry Potter films were named second to the classic Disney film Mary Poppins in a list of the Top Ten Family Films to Span the Generations.  The compete top ten list is as follows:

1. Mary Poppins
  2. Harry Potter
  3. The Wizard of Oz
  4. Bambi
  5. ET
  6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  7. Star Wars
  8. Grease
  9. Home Alone
  10. Shrek
Thanks to all who mailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

Star Wars and Grease don’t really seem like such great family film picks, but I love it that Harry is right up there with Mary Poppins – I loved that movie as a kid, and saw it over and over again! It had its own magic, just as Harry does.

The Wizard of Oz is a magical film, also, but I don’t know if it actually captivates kids as powerfully as Mary Poppins and Harry Potter…

Posted by Agrippa1 on April 10, 2009, 11:45 PM report to moderator
028_25a_thumb

That was a great scene. Another one of my faves was when Hagrid touches the bricks and introduces Harry to Diagon Alley. WoW!!

Posted by marymackie on April 10, 2009, 11:52 PM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

Cool for Harry!

Posted by phantomdave79 on April 10, 2009, 11:59 PM report to moderator
Perry-the-platypus-perry-the-platypus-4267460-120-115-1_thumb

That’s such a cool scene, I’m glad it got some recognition. I haven’t seen Mary Poppins in forever, I remember I loved it as a kid though.

Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I loved the moment when Harry got onto the platform, and a real moment of wonder and Diagon Alley would run that a close second for me. I totally agree that Grease is not a family movie, and disagree that Star Wars isn’t! Those of you who haven’t seen Mary Poppins give yourself a treat and watch it, it really is great fun.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on April 11, 2009, 03:34 AM report to moderator
Ravenclawd_normal_thumb

AWESOME! but Star Wars a family movie??? nah

Posted by DobbyandWinky WBM!!! on April 11, 2009, 05:07 AM report to moderator

yay!!

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on April 11, 2009, 05:08 AM report to moderator
Bilde_32_thumb

Well done, Chris Columbus! I loved that scene:)

Posted by Avelina_Went [ROAR] on April 11, 2009, 05:50 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

AWESOME

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on April 11, 2009, 05:51 AM report to moderator
N1081704126_19359_1414_thumb

Alright! Ok, I love Mary Poppins and all but I love the HP movies so much more. They talk about love, friendship…oh heck you all know what I mean!! IT’S BETTER!

Posted by Runwild101 (Robby) on April 11, 2009, 09:28 AM report to moderator
Iconator_dea697cd87becd1283213b46f798b87b_thumb

Awesome! I really love that scene! It’s brilliant! :)

Posted by Wendelin the Weird on April 11, 2009, 09:40 AM report to moderator

I loved that scene!

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on April 11, 2009, 12:25 PM report to moderator
Editedladybug_thumb

The singing oompa loompas? They just freaked me out. Harry totally deserved # 1 though.

Posted by sp00kym00ny~happy looks good on you! :] on April 11, 2009, 12:28 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

i love that scene too :D
its so much like a kid getting on a bus on the first day of school haha

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on April 11, 2009, 12:51 PM report to moderator
N1314356338_7633_thumb
20582 Points

yeah!! totally loved that scene!! and every other scene since!! lol
go hp!!

Posted by ٭Ĥ☻ğđ☻ъъÿ٭ Ř☻äř٭ on April 11, 2009, 12:52 PM report to moderator

The real Mad-Eye Moody was at the staff table now, his wooden leg and magical eye back in place. He was extremely twitchy, jumping every time someone spoke to him. Harry couldn't blame him; Moody's fear of attack was bound to have been increased by his te