Platform 9 3/4 Discovery Named Best-Loved Scene by Oreo Poll

Movies
Posted by: Edward
April 10, 2009, 02:49 PM

The moment when Harry crosses the magical gateway onto Platform 9 3/4 in the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone film has been named the "single best-loved scene from a family film" in a new poll conducted by the Oreo cookie company.  The Telegraph is reporting that the scene was chosen after the cookie company polled "2,000 parents and children about their favourite films and scenes to discover which ones spanned the generations."  Other top movie moments include the chimney sweep dance in Mary Poppins, E.T.'s 'phone home' moment, and the singing Oompa Loompas in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

In addition to this, the Harry Potter films were named second to the classic Disney film Mary Poppins in a list of the Top Ten Family Films to Span the Generations.  The compete top ten list is as follows:

1. Mary Poppins
  2. Harry Potter
  3. The Wizard of Oz
  4. Bambi
  5. ET
  6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  7. Star Wars
  8. Grease
  9. Home Alone
  10. Shrek
Thanks to all who mailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Harry_and_ginny_3_thumb

MARRY POPPINS?????? OH PLEASE!!!! HARRY COULD TOTTALY BEAT HER IN A DUEL

Posted by Crown Victoria [WBM] on April 10, 2009, 07:42 PM report to moderator
250px-youre-a-wizard

That The Best-Movie-Moment not Best-Loved Scene, isn’t it?
Anyway, i love that scene too.

I never watch Marry Poppins yet, but my parents and aunt told me it was a wonderful movie (well, at their time maybe).

Posted by EnricoDc on April 10, 2009, 08:04 PM report to moderator
250px-youre-a-wizard

It is a very good news, indeed, That Harry beat The Great Wizard of Oz. :)

Posted by EnricoDc on April 10, 2009, 08:05 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_onset_londonday2_08_thumb

This is a amazing list. All the movies on are great. But I wouldn’t say that Star Wars is a family movie……
I just wish that I could have know about this earlier so I could have voted!

Posted by DanielleD on April 10, 2009, 08:11 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_avatar_thumb

Wow, we just happen to be watching the movie right now. I like the scene a lot, but I don’t really think it’s my best loved scene.

Posted by RavenclawForever on April 10, 2009, 08:22 PM report to moderator
Ravenqueen_thumb

Wow! Second! That is so cool! I love the scene with platform 9 3/4!

Posted by raven_puff on April 10, 2009, 09:09 PM report to moderator
Casey_close_up_thumb

Interesting isn’t it. The top three movies all deal with magic, magical people, and magical places. Obviously the Dursleys weren’t contacted for their opinoin…ha, ha, ha!!!!

As much as I love Harry Potter, I’m with a couple of other people in that I would put The Wizard of Oz in first place. Now there is a movie that not only spans the generations, but also has met the test of time. It is as timeless today as it was when it was made. No remake could ever do it justice. I truly hope that Harry meets that same test of time and is loved as much 70 years from now as it is now.

Kay

Posted by JKMcGonagall on April 10, 2009, 09:26 PM report to moderator

random

Posted by kenmarekestrels93 {{ROAR}} on April 10, 2009, 09:26 PM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Wizard of oz should be on the top, but of course… HARRY POTTER should be on the top before that. :D

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on April 10, 2009, 09:31 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movie_hbp_feb08_003_thumb

Yeah but Harry beat out The Wizard of Oz. Not sure how he lost to Mary Poppins though.

Posted by Jersey on April 10, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Little_luna_thumb

what a great scene!!! squee! congrats harry!!
(though i kinda agree with garden state geek about OZ, i would probably put it first too)

Posted by ashes2phoenix on April 10, 2009, 10:06 PM report to moderator
Cute_farm_shelb_and_rew_thumb

I’m so glad that Harry made it that high on the list, and rightly so! I love the Wizard of Oz too, that could be number one for me. It was a favorite as a kid, and totally evokes that feeling of childhood.However, Harry is wonderful too!

Posted by Cat de la Creme on April 10, 2009, 10:10 PM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

Whoa, really? Out of all the scenes…well, it’s a good ’un! :D

Posted by maera-kyrie on April 10, 2009, 10:28 PM report to moderator
Summer_trip__09_113_thumb

Cool…but why on earth is Grease on there? LOL … even though I <3 that movie. :D

Posted by HermioneWwannabe *ROAR* --%-{@ on April 10, 2009, 10:52 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

JKR must be so proud
= D

Posted by DesQueJteVois on April 10, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort," said Dumbledore. "He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I hono