Interview with Composer of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Video Game Soundtrack

Video Games
March 09, 2009, 08:45 AM

Composer James Hannigan has given a new interview to the BBC, where he discusses his work on the music heard in the Harry Potter video games. At this link to the article, you can also preview the theme that will be heard in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince video game. Those with sharp ears will recall that indeed that music has been used recently in trailers for the new HBP game from EA.

In the interview, Mr. Hannigan says that he takes into consideration work done by the Harry Potter film composer, in this case Nicholas Hooper for HBP, as he says

"There has to be a similar approach to the music" says Hannigan.  "I'll work some of the famous Hedwig's Theme into some of the music to identify it as Harry Potter - it's very much the game of the film".

The soundtrack for the game was recorded by the Philharmonia Orchestra at Pinewood's Air Studios.  At the moment, such a grand level of music production is relatively unusual in a game, and typically only reserved for so-called AAA games, those with the biggest budgets.

The interview continues with the following on the nature of music for these videogames:

"The biggest difference between games music and film music is really the function" says Hannigan."You have to remember that the gamer is both audience and participant - they're observing this world, they're watching a story, but they're also a participant in the story ".

Pre-orders for the video game of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince are available now, with the game out in July of this year.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Video Games News

Rupes_maggie_thumb

I never realized so much went into the music for the game!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on March 09, 2009, 07:31 PM report to moderator
Fangirl_thumb

Hm, I’d probably be more excited if I played the HP video games, but I don’t.

I had the original SS one for the computer, and I didn’t find it that exciting, thus I never bothered to pursue it.

Posted by Miss Smarticle on March 09, 2009, 08:22 PM report to moderator
Hpim0307_thumb

This guy’s amazing.

Posted by Aga Veneficus on March 09, 2009, 08:49 PM report to moderator
4558_110541317616_500052616_2408093_477353_n_thumb

WOW! I will be buying the game and the music.. just great I love it!!

Posted by 10thweasley {WBM} on March 09, 2009, 09:00 PM report to moderator

Cool! I hope the game is awesome.

Posted by badger666 on March 09, 2009, 09:03 PM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Can’t wait for this game!

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on March 09, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Slyth2_thumb

i reckon this will be the best game ever

Posted by NoeLover42 on March 10, 2009, 12:10 AM report to moderator
Greathornedowl_thumb

I want to play the game now!!! Accio HBP game!

Posted by PhoenixFlight [ITC!] on March 10, 2009, 12:45 AM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

I cant wait for this game, im looking much more forward this one than any of the others!!

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on March 10, 2009, 12:55 AM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

I’m a little bit disappointed that they aren’t bringing Jeremy Soule back – he did the music for the first four games, and some of it was re-used for the fifth. His music is fantastic – I identify it with HP as much as Hedwig’s Theme!

Posted by Ravenclawed on March 10, 2009, 08:39 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

Not a fan of videogames, but I love the HP ones! This one sounds like it will be the best yet!

Posted by BeAchL0veEr05 ☼ on March 10, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator
1956p_thumb

the talent and professionalism of all the artists involved – as shown in mr. hannigan’s interview – is our guarantee of a high-quality effort. and music is such an essential element! not into games, though.

Posted by cleber*ROAR!* on March 11, 2009, 06:50 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

not a big fan of the game but none the less an interesting interview! xx

Me_and_james_going_to_school_thumb

the music makes it worth playing when nothing seems to be happening.

Posted by prof mewthree "squee" on March 16, 2009, 08:03 AM report to moderator

"I [i]told[/i] you not to annoy Rita Skeeter! She's made you out to be some sort of -- of scarlet woman!"[br]Hermione stopped looking astonished and snorted with laughter. [i]"Scarlet woman?"[/i] she repeated, shaking with suppressed giggles as she looked