Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Cover_avatar_thumb

It’ll be interesting to see.
I’m sure she’ll be great. :-)

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on March 05, 2009, 01:01 AM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

It’ll be interesting to see.
I’m sure she’ll be great. :-)

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on March 05, 2009, 01:02 AM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

Sorry – computer problems. I only pressed it once and it wasn’t working. But apparently it posted anyway – several times over. Sorry!

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on March 05, 2009, 01:04 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Hmm..interesting! :D

Posted by *Adeline* ~ ROAR! :D on March 05, 2009, 01:29 AM report to moderator
Iconator_1219385d1bc508ea565d4c902a6f052d_thumb

Good For her. Weird part to acctually cast. But good for her

Posted by Kara000 ~ROAR~ on March 05, 2009, 02:28 AM report to moderator
Swan_thumb

I’m going to be optimistic about this and say that hopefully Mr. and Mrs Granger are invited to the wedding at the Burrow and that Hermione modifies their memories there! Maybe we’ll even get a sweet R/Hr comforting scene as icing on the cake.
(Knowing mr. Kloves track record we COULD unfortunately be dealing with a Hermione-centred scene, Ron protecting his family will be forgotten, and consequently all the focus will be on Hermione’s/Emma’s brave efforts and it will be Harry who will comfort her because Ron is…Dunno, not there or too slow and dumb to do so.:( )

Posted by Kalin [WBM] on March 05, 2009, 03:05 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

seeing her picture, she deffinately looks like an older Hermione. If she wasn’t playing Mrs. Granger, I think she’d be a good choice for Hermione in the epilogue, if they don’t digitally age the current actors that is.

Posted by michaelabraham on March 05, 2009, 04:02 AM report to moderator

“I’ve never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books,” admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Even for a small caracter as Mrs Granger, that’s awesome! Oh what if everyone did that…

Posted by marigan on March 05, 2009, 04:36 AM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

Wow. I don’t remember Mrs. Granger appearing in DH, which seems to be the general consensus. I always wanted to see the scenario where Hermione does to Australia to find her parents – with Ron perhaps? ;) But of course that’s not actually IN the book…
I like the idea that Mrs. Granger’s scene will be some kind of flashback of Hermione’s as she tells Harry what she had to do.

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on March 05, 2009, 04:44 AM report to moderator
Dobbyafreeelf_thumb

I just think it’s kind of weird that they’re casting this part that isn’t even seen in the books when so much else is being cut… I wonder whether this means the part about Hermione modifying her parents memories will be emphasized more..

Posted by Promote Elfish Welfare [*SQUEE*] on March 05, 2009, 04:45 AM report to moderator

Isn’t Hermione’s mother’s name Jean Granger?

Posted by witch_fairy on March 05, 2009, 04:53 AM report to moderator

that’s one of the reasons I don’t like the movies. You never know what pointless things they’ll put in and what important scenes or charachters they’ll put out. (peeves, oh, peeves…they should have shown him)

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on March 05, 2009, 05:31 AM report to moderator
Crim0304_thumb

at least she’s planning on reading the books! yay.
i think they’re amping up the emotional upheaval of the trio leaving for their quest/fight, that’s why stuff like this is included

Posted by Sally_Zaar on March 05, 2009, 05:42 AM report to moderator
Ginny_thumb

Why are they casting Hermione’s mom? she doesnt even appear in the books! its sorta random. The actress is gonna read the books though, which is good at least

Posted by ginnywp WBM on March 05, 2009, 06:06 AM report to moderator
Siggielost_without_you_thumb

And a Mr. Granger is where exactly…?

Posted by .whiteflower on March 05, 2009, 06:38 AM report to moderator

"Oh don't go!" said Cho, sounding tearful again. "I'm really sorry to get all upset like this... I didn't mean to..."[br]She hiccuped again. She was very pretty even when her eyes were red and puffy. Harry felt thoroughly miserable. He'd have been so