Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

THE COLERAINE TIMES” ??? Hahaha are you kidding me? Talk about local its about 20 mins from where I live… wow, honestly wow!! Northern Ireland you never fail to surprise me!

Posted by KiwiMcI on March 04, 2009, 09:17 PM report to moderator

Very interesting, but odd, since her character is only mentioned in the books. Well, I guess it will make the part where Hermione modifies their memories more emotional and show the pain that she must have gone through when she did that. I’m glad the actress is excited to play the part and I’m glad she’s going to read the books and watch the movies, although it won’t help her with her part. I guess it will still help her get an overall feel for the series, though, so it certainly can’t hurt. I do worry about what parts they’re going to cut if they’re including stuff like this, though.

Posted by badger666 on March 04, 2009, 09:31 PM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

Congratulations! I think it will be neat to see Hermione’s parents in the film! And they haven’t actually stated there’s no wedding have they? Just no Bill and Fleur? Which means there’s still hope, they could always use Tonks and Lupin for the wedding and Shell Cottage!

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on March 04, 2009, 09:38 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

In terms of the wedding, most believe it has been cut since Bill and Fleur are not in HBP. It would be odd to introduce their wedding when we’ve never even seen Bill in the films. The best guess is that the wedding will be Tonk’s and Lupin’s, if they have it at all.

Also, we may be jumping to conclusions about how big a role this is. A few scenes could mean just about anything. They’re making two films, guys. The important parts will be there.

Posted by mollywobble on March 04, 2009, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Hufflepufftie_thumb

Wow, the casted Mrs. Granger, but not the Muggle prime minister for HBP? Maybe they want to make the departure between Hermione and her parents more emotional…

Posted by Scarlette on March 04, 2009, 10:13 PM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

I think this is a strange bit of news. I think they are still going to have to cut things from the films even though there are two. There is just too much going on in the book for things to not get cut. I think the only reason this seems strange is that it says she is going to be in 3 or 4 scenes. What are these scenes?

I also thought we hadn’t heard any confirmation that Bill and Fleur’s wedding had been cut. I am not accepting that as truth until we hear more. They have started filming so maybe we will hear some news soon.

Posted by decarus on March 04, 2009, 10:50 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

I think it’s great that they’re working so hard to cast the right people – but I wish they’d pay as much attention to important characters like Bill and Fleur!

Posted by Agrippa1 on March 04, 2009, 11:13 PM report to moderator
Hiddenavvy_thumb

Maybe she’s not really Mrs. Granger, but a 36 year old Hermione?… I dunno.

Posted by wordsthatrhyme on March 04, 2009, 11:32 PM report to moderator
Cute_pom_puppy_thumb

I think casting Mrs. Granger makes sense.

My parents and so many of my friends have asked if Hermione was an orphan because we never see them in the films. After I tell them, “no, she has parents”, they wonder why the films never show them. I myself wonder why they’re not more visible in the books.

If the film just had Hermione tell Harry and Ron that she modifed her parent’s memories, the general audience member wouldn’t be fazed much because they have no connection to Hermione’s home life or parents. The average filmgoer will need to see the scene play out for a bigger impact.

Posted by Lexi86 on March 05, 2009, 12:06 AM report to moderator
Picture_17_thumb

Nobody except the people working on the film know if the wedding has been cut as far as I know. I wouldn’t worry unless it was announced that they are definitely cutting it. My best guess is that they will have the wedding and either change it to Tonks and Lupin’s, or they will find some creative way to introduce Bill to the film audience. If they don’t have it, then I don’t know how they are going to send the trio off on their journey or introduce Luna’s father.

I still think, though, that Hermione’s parents will not take up lots a screen time. Most likely, they will just show up in a few quick flashback scenes as Hermione is describing what she did to protect her parents from the Death Eaters.

Posted by SnoopMK [WBM] on March 05, 2009, 12:27 AM report to moderator

I’m sure I’m not the only one who would appreciate the Other Minister over Hermoine’s parents…

Posted by Zoom on March 05, 2009, 12:31 AM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

It’ll be interesting to see.
I’m sure she’ll be great. :-)

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on March 05, 2009, 12:56 AM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

It’ll be interesting to see.
I’m sure she’ll be great. :-)

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on March 05, 2009, 12:57 AM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

It’ll be interesting to see.
I’m sure she’ll be great. :-)

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on March 05, 2009, 12:58 AM report to moderator
Cover_avatar_thumb

It’ll be interesting to see.
I’m sure she’ll be great. :-)

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on March 05, 2009, 12:58 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

At the start-of-term banquet, Harry had gotten the idea that Professor Snape disliked him. By the end of the first Potions lesson, he knew he'd been wrong. Snape didn't dislike Harry -- he [i]hated[/i] him.