Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

I agree with most people here: What EXCATLY is the point of casting Hermiones mother??
So they cut all the Trelawney scenes (wich are brief – but VERY funny) but at least she IN the book??? And instead adding a “point-less” character.

Now there´s a chance that her scenes might be cut in the editing, I mean Borgis was cast for COS, and his scenes filmed (can be seen on the COS dvd deleted scenes) but was cut in the theatrical version.

Posted by Sonja43 on March 04, 2009, 07:28 PM report to moderator
Angel_reader_chagall_thumb

Like Prof. Potter and others, I’m willing to trust the filmmakers a bit on this one. I’ve always thought that Hermione’s parents were depressingly absent from the books, other than the ~joke of their being dentists, so I’ll be happy to Dr. Mrs. Granger get a little screen time. (And I do think it will be only a little.)

Posted by Arithmancer on March 04, 2009, 07:28 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Professor Potter is right. You know, we all obsess over how it might be altered or cut, but (for the most part) we are still the first ones in line on opening night of each HP movie released. And we go back again and again and again to absorb as much of the HP culture that we can. We can LOVE the books (and we do!) and hope for the best with the films. Who knows…maybe this scene will be more powerful than we think.

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on March 04, 2009, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Dsc05228_thumb

Congraduations Michelle…. However I am extremely sad that they cut out the wedding, especially Kingley’s partonus. I was rather looking forward to it.

Posted by ProfKnight on March 04, 2009, 07:36 PM report to moderator
Iconator_77bb337efe9e8c2f9da191f0c527a9f4_thumb

hm… I wasn’t expecting that.
but its kinda wierd that they are dooing that and some some other things

Posted by Great Uncle Algie on March 04, 2009, 07:38 PM report to moderator

“who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.”

umm… not to break it to you actress, but you’re not even in the books.
:].

Posted by john-robert. on March 04, 2009, 08:13 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_2027_thumb

I am happy about this, yet confused. I have read over the other comments and if it is true that they are cutting out the wedding I will be very upset!

Posted by Harryfan24 ROAR! on March 04, 2009, 08:14 PM report to moderator
Lilyjames_thumb

I’m so excited. She looks pretty much how I imagined her. But is she even in the book? Because if she’s not, that means they’re filling in holes in the movie! Yay!

Posted by thewandofdestiny {WBM} on March 04, 2009, 08:19 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

It’s really weird that they’re putting her in – especially since she isn’t in the books, and they’re cutting other stuff that IS in the books. Still, it’s good that they’re doing it, and hopefully it will help advance the plot a lot.
Also, kudos to her for actually going out and reading all the books/watching all the movies in preparation for her role… Unlike SOME actors in the films…

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on March 04, 2009, 08:21 PM report to moderator
Lightning_thumb

this does not make sense at all.. i mean, hermione’s mother was never in deathly hallows.. i don’t get it. after all the things they cut, they decided to put hermione’s mother in? she wasn’t even in the book! and i agree with lily evans about the watching the films and reading the books part.. i mean, come on….

Posted by chaos35 on March 04, 2009, 08:40 PM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

they’re not doing the wedding? THEN HOW DO THEY PLAN TO SHIP THE TRIO OFF FOR HOURCRUX-HUNTING?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Edith___thumb

Adcaco0flwcahqa5n3caqhki4hcaesm3l1cal7oa9rca57do1xcany46hlcaypimiicawbmnh7ca8s7p28cawdsyywca8dr2t0caprsds8catuw1odcahvuq9xcas6qtshca32vogycaoju2h6_thumb

How exactly do we know they are not showing the wedding? I don’t remember any news confirming it had been cut. Also; congrats to the actress for landing the role. I am sure it will fit in great with the rest of the movie. Can’t wait to see what they do…

Posted by MadyGirl1987 on March 04, 2009, 08:53 PM report to moderator
Witch_hat_thumb

Yes, Mrs. Granger was only referenced in Deathly Hallows, not seen. They had better show the wedding. I thought the part of teenaged Lily was going to be played by the actress who did it in the cut scenes for OOTP. But now I’m realizing that if Bill and Fleur won’t be in Half-Blood Prince movie-only audiences won’t know about their relationship. Not that I think movie-only audiences deserve special treatment, but the WB does.

Posted by *H*ROAR Mudblood Proud on March 04, 2009, 09:13 PM report to moderator
Jk-j-k-rowling-harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-unabridged-compact-discs_thumb
Yeah they were only mentioned in the book, but I think they will probably include in a photo flashback scene when Hermione tells Harry and Ron about modifying their memory to make them think there someone completely different. I wish you the best of luck for auditioning for the young Lily Evans X-Lillie-Lovegood-X during the Snape memory scene. I would really love to see the part where the trio goes to Shell Cottage and Harry buries Dobby there.
Posted by harrypotterbookpurist on March 04, 2009, 09:13 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I cannot make you take Sirius Black seriously. But I would have thought that what you have heard when the dementors draw near you would have had more of an effect on you. Your parents gave their lives to keep you alive, Harry. A poor way to repay them --