Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

wow this is so weird..

Posted by raisaers on March 04, 2009, 05:18 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-10-29_at_12

what’s the point of casting hermione’s mother??

Posted by KatherineWeasley on March 04, 2009, 05:32 PM report to moderator

Yay for reading the books!

Posted by albeitgruggish on March 04, 2009, 05:34 PM report to moderator
Dragon-small_thumb

While it is sort of odd that they’re casting the part, I’m looking forward to finding out what they have planned! The only thing I can think of is either a scene showing Hermione performing the Memory Charms on her parents or a scene in Australia.

Posted by Wolfheart (WBM!) on March 04, 2009, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Wrock_021_thumb

Where is Mrs. Granger in DH??

Posted by Sarep [WBM] [IFTC] [Penguin] on March 04, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Sdc13192_thumb

I agree that it is wierd that Mrs. Granger was cast but that might mean that they are trying to do the movies right.

Posted by l-u-n-a on March 04, 2009, 06:02 PM report to moderator

Hum..that’s interesting. It would be cool to see her in the movie, but I hope they don’t cut out anything important just to get Hermione’s parents in.

Posted by myluckysocks on March 04, 2009, 06:15 PM report to moderator
Xpseudonym_ravenclaw_thumb

That’s kind of weird… Since her parents are only mentioned in CoS. I wonder what they’ll do with her. Hmm… I hope that the additions of a non-canon character and scenes don’t mean the cutting of important canon things…

Posted by liebedance ~Moony~ [wren] [WBM] on March 04, 2009, 06:26 PM report to moderator
06_thumb

At least she’s preparing for her part. :) More than some actors would do cough-GAMDON-cough

Why not cast a Mr. Granger? Don’t blame this on budget either.

Posted by silverwings [FTC!] on March 04, 2009, 06:36 PM report to moderator
Thumb_avatars_movie_gof_may03_thumb

Congratulations to her but I’m a bit peeved at the fact that they cut Bill and Fleur’s wedding, a VERY important part in the books, and just decided for the heck of it to cast Hermione Granger’s mother, who never makes an appearance in the books let alone in the movies. What are they going to do? Add some random scene where Hermione modifies their brains. Such a waste of money, but still congrats to Michelle though I do laugh at the fact that she’s going to now read the books in “preparation for the role.” What a laugh, she obviously doesn’t realize she’s not in the books at all.

Posted by marauder. on March 04, 2009, 06:45 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

I bet that they wil show them in a scene that explains that Hermione cast the memory charm.

Posted by wizardinventor on March 04, 2009, 06:58 PM report to moderator
Queensguest_thumb

I wonder if this is going to be another “fire at the burrow” scene added to take the place of another scene (Bill and Fleur’s wedding)? She just seems so inconsequential to the plot compared to the dramatic weight that the havoc of the wedding with Kingsley’s patronous.

Posted by BuffyXO {WBM} on March 04, 2009, 07:00 PM report to moderator
Da_copy_thumb

I love this news. I really do. Somethings are cut, some things are re-arranged and somethings are added. But its all to serve the narrative on film. I actually wept when Hermione told Harry/Ron that she cast a false memory charm on her parents so that they never knew they had a daughter. Thats one sentence in the book. But can you picture how powerful that would be on film? Potentially this was a great sacrifice Hermione made and deserves this emphasis for the movie.

It does sadden me a little that some fans dont have much faith in the film crew who have so far delivered magnificent adaptions of the Harry Potter books.

Posted by Professor Potter on March 04, 2009, 07:21 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

Wow, michelle fairley does look sort of like Hermione, but it will be very odd seeing her in the film, I mean, I almost forgot that Hermione had parents!

Posted by chocolaterabbits on March 04, 2009, 07:23 PM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

Wow! I didn’t think we would see a Mrs. Granger in a HP movie!

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on March 04, 2009, 07:24 PM report to moderator

"I've decided to call him Norbert," said Hagrid, looking at the dragon with misty eyes. "He really knows me now, watch. Norbert! Norbert! Where's Mommy?"[br] "He's lost his marbles," Ron muttered in Harry's ear.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014